• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Teas

jat

I drink a lot of tea and I like almost all of them, but some of my favorites are a toasted rice green tea by Leaves and I can't help it, but I LOVE Good Earth's original blend tea....I have such great memories of hanging out at the Good Earth near Stanford when I was a young RN with all my girlfriends and some of the residents there.....it just brings back such wonderful feelings. I also really like their green tea blend.

For my every day grab a quick cup while getting dressed in the morning, I drink Tazo Awake. But right now, I am enjoying a cup of China Magnolia Oolong. A while back someone sent us a bunch of samplers from Upton Tea. I have been very frugal with them. Brewing them is unlike most other teas I have found. It is converting me to the world of whole leaf teas instead of the debris found in tea bags. Now I have to figure a way to fit these treasures into my budget.

some of the other teas from Upton that I have are

China white pekoe

Formosa fancy oolong

China gunpwder green

Formosa Jade oolong

I think I am getting quickly spoiled

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 5 months later...

Someone mentioned liking "Chinese restaurant tea" a while back -- I like it, too, and I have as yet to reproduce it at home. I've told that it's oolong, and I've tried cheap supermarket bag oolong (awful) and expensive loose oolong -- great, but no cigar! So what IS the secret of Chinese restaurant tea?

My favourite tea is Williamson Magor's Assam tea. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it sold in stores in Canada. Does anyone know where it is sold in North America (preferebly in Canada...). My next favourite is Fortnum & Mason's Royal Blend, next fave is Fauchon's Apple Tea.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

Another tea that has been making me happy lately has been the Shantou Autumn Bloom oolong from Gray and Seddon Teas.

They have a bunch of very distinct and unusual oolongs, of which that one is my absolute favorite. Its natural floral aroma is wonderful.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I fell in love with Twinings Vanilla and Coconut tea while vacationing in Bora Bora. The resort served Afternoon Tea each day and this was their blend of choice. I brought two boxes home with me and am now down to my last two bags.

Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding it here in Vancouver, so I suppose I'll have to break down and order it online. Every time I brew a pot, it reminds me of sitting in the shade of a verandah on a lazy tropical afternoon. :cool:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE Good Earth's original blend tea....I have such great memories of hanging out at the Good Earth near Stanford when I was a young RN with all my girlfriends and some of the residents there.....it just brings back such wonderful feelings. I also really like their green tea blend.

California also has Hobee's restaurant and I think their Cinnamon tea is like the Good Earth but kicked up a bit, almost like a hot cinnemon...yum! I don't think it is sold retail though, just in-store.

Has anyone tried Sport Tea? It is really an herbal ginsing and the packaging is Hot or Cold. Natually sweet from I don't know what but very nice.

My new find here in Arizona is Revolution teas, they are absolutely **beautiful** full leaf teas that are in a nylon bag that allows the leaves to expand. My favorite flavors are Tropical Green Tea and Ginger Peach...ooh yum. I can even use the bags twice without the tea becoming bitter. http://www.revolutiontea.com/

• 1 month later...

My favourite tea depends on the time of day:

Early Morning: Celyon with milk (only whole, and just a couple drops)

Mid morning to Early Evening: Earl Grey

Evening: I don't know the name (a friend from Paris gives is to me several times a year as a present), but it's a tea from Mariage Freres with a delicate flower taste and a hint of some kind of fruit. It smells divine and looks like potpourri (looks like there is lavender and rose petals in it).

I like so many....

A current favorite, though, is Golden Monkey Tea from Harney and Sons. They also make an Earl Grey Supreme variety that I find quite yummy. My other long term fave is Jasmine Green Tea.

Yes! Harney & Sons!!! They are the best.... Their loose Earl Grey smells like a crate of oranges off the boat, and their chamomile looks like potpourri. The supply a ridiculous list of A-list hotels, and yet one of the two sons spent 30 minutes on the phone with me one time answering technical questions. They are purists in the best sense.

The Republic of Tea is fun, and they have some off-beat stuff you don't see too often in stores (from them).... we had the sample vials at the coffeeshop.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

I like what the french call ´Infusion´....

After a full stuffing meal just pour 2 sage leaves into

a cup of hot water and relax.

there are several other like verveine, mint, thyme.....

my favourite tea is definetly ´white tea´ pai mu tan.

• 2 weeks later...

-Taylor's of Harrogate mango tea with marigold blossoms

That sounds lovely, haven't seen it around anywhere :sad:

I think the three types of tea I drink most often are Earl Grey, Green Tea and Yorkshire Tea :wub: I also love adding cardamom and cinamon or some fresh mint to the brew, smells heavenly :biggrin:

For just sipping any day, I much prefer green tea to black tea (some black teas end up having a tannic taste to me). There is fantastic tea house here that has introduced me to some really fun teas. A lot of people have mention Genmaicha (I call it popcorn tea), which I have fun brewing. A friend brought back one of those great personal brewers for me from China (put the tea in the top portion of the cup, put hot water in the bottom of the cup) and I've had a fun time trying new teas blends, though I haven't gotten to the more exotic teas ... a bit too expensive to justify right now.

One thing I've learned I just don't like is the passion tea at Starbucks. By 1/3 of the way through it, it's way too tart for me and I stop tasting fruit and start only sensing the tart.

Mr. Pibb + Red Vine = Crazy Delicious

I just can't drink flavored teas and coffees for the most part.

I only really drink PG tips and Twinnings Earl gray, for something diff, but not too often. That Straw-kiwi , I don't think so..couldn't belive they were doing that now.....but this Vanilla one has peek my intrest!

If you can find it online, leave a link.I'd like to look! THX

Gyokuro. It's very expensive so we only drink it every now and then.. definitely not for daily sipping. But it's divine, the essence of green tea, so clear and fresh and light.

I say 'we' because my husband is the teaperson of the household. I never make tea, he always makes it for me! :wub:

The recent mentions vanilla tea just jogged my memory and brought back very pleasant recollections of a tea sample I received 5 or 6 years ago... so my data is aged, but with luck the product is still around.

Anyway, it was from Tea Trader, a Canadian tea vendor that was active amongst the Usenet community called rec.food.drink.tea. I have no recollection of what they called it, but it was a deliciously rich vanilla flavor blended into a nice black tea base.

When the tea overstock situation in my kitchen subsides, I have to track this down and get some...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

My favorite is strawberry kiwi :)

Where would you find this?

Strawberry-kiwi: ingredients: hibiscus, rosehips, apples, natural flavours. A botannical; tart, fruity, sweet; makes great hot or iced tea. This freezes well for kids (popsicle form), but left unsweetened makes a good cold (against the humidity and heat) as well as a good hot (against the nasty wet cold) beverage.

email me @ mktfrau@connecttime.net for particulars.

For summer: anything with hibiscus will work against the heat. The pharaohs drank hibiscus tea to fight the oppressive heat. "tea" is the word used to indicate a beverage which consists of water infused with a flavouring.

.....but this Vanilla one has peek my intrest!

If you can find it online, leave a link.I'd like to look! THX

The recent mentions vanilla tea just jogged my memory and brought back very pleasant recollections of a tea sample I received 5 or 6 years ago... so my data is aged, but with luck the product is still around. 

Anyway, it was from Tea Trader, a Canadian tea vendor that was active amongst the Usenet community called rec.food.drink.tea.  I have no recollection of what they called it, but it was a deliciously rich vanilla flavor blended into a nice black tea base. 

When the tea overstock situation in my kitchen subsides, I have to track this down and get some...

Here's a link to the Twinings Vanilla Coconut tea that I mentioned upthread. It's the tropics in a cup. Heaven, especially on a rainy afternoon when you need a vicarious dose of sunshine.

To quote the website:

This is a smooth blend of tea subtly flavoured with Vanilla, Coconut and Cocoa beans resulting in an exotic and indulgent beverage.

Unfortunately, Twinings only does mail order in the UK, so I'd be eternally grateful if anyone manages to source a North American supplier of this particular blend.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I appreciate that sanrensho... now if only the shipping costs to the west coast didn't total more than the price of one box of tea, I'd be all set. :sad:

Over the course of my Google searches, I've found both a Canadian and a Californian distributor for Twinings; sadly, however, neither one carries the Vanilla and Coconut blend. And so the search continues.

Joie Alvaro Kent

I appreciate that sanrensho... now if only the shipping costs to the west coast didn't total more than the price of one box of tea, I'd be all set.    :sad:

Just one box? Surely you jest? I was imagining multiple boxes, Christmas gifts, huge group buy with other V-gulleters... :biggrin:

Certainly, our lovely seasonal weather calls out for many cups of warm tea. :sad:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...