• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roaring Fork

claire797

It's that time of year again. Time to pick a birthday restaurant.

After hearing a rumor that The Roaring Fork serves an excellent prime-rib, DH and I have put it at the top of our short list. Any reasons why we should avoid it? So far, the buzz has been good. Then again, you can't always trust buzz in Austin.

Roaring Fork is in the Stephen F. Austin hotel where Star Canyon used to be. From what I've heard, atmosphere is the same and cuisine is upscale cowboy. Any thoughts?

Been to the main restaurant a few times and had dinner at the bar more times than I care to admit to. I have posted in the past about what a huge fan I am of RF’s bar menu, especially their hamburgers.

The cuisine is very similar to the old Star Canyon and the décor of the main dining room is almost unchanged. I think the quality is similar to Star Canyon, but Roaring Fork offers a better value. Like Star Canyon, some of the dishes are hit and miss.

They had a 4 course tasting menu for $25 dollars which was an excellent value. The best dishes tend to be the most straight forward ones.

Personal favorites include (in no particular order):

Trout and Spinach salad

Green chile stew

Bone-in rib eye

Grilled shrimp (honey-jalapeño?)

Cedar plank grilled salmon

Dishes I would not order again

Pizza (wife liked it, I thought it was ok)

Veal chops (ugh! they were tough)

Any dessert I tried. The desserts were a major disappoint. It has been about 3 months since I ordered a dessert there, so maybe it has gotten better.

They also wine pairing option that allows you to order 2oz servings (I think it was 2oz?), so you can order a different wine with every course and still be able to drive home.

Sorry, I've been away for Austin for a while and only get back a couple times a year.

What happened to Star Canyon? Is Roaring Fork a Stephen Pyles restaurant too, or did he just bail?

When I left Austin, Stephen Pyles' coming to town was the big buzz. I'm interested in what happened. My foodie friends have obviously been less than forthcoming.

amanda

Googlista

Sorry, I've been away for Austin for a while and only get back a couple times a year.

What happened to Star Canyon? Is Roaring Fork a Stephen Pyles restaurant too, or did he just bail?

When I left Austin, Stephen Pyles' coming to town was the big buzz. I'm interested in what happened. My foodie friends have obviously been less than forthcoming.

Hi Mudpuppie,

Here's a link from Texas Monthly.

I suspect the restaurant's demise was due to both the loss of Stephen Pyles and the economy. They just weren't making it.

It was a bad omen when we went there for dinner during that year's SXSW. We arrived about 7:00. Granted, that's early for the SXSW crown, but the restaurant shouldn't have been empty. We had an excellent meal and perfect service (as expected, since were the only customers!) but the place was dead when we arrived and dead when we left. Very sad for such a great space.

From what I hear, that's not the case these days at The Roaring Fork. :smile:

recently celebrated my own bday at SFA hotel, and we had burgers at the bar, which were rilly, rilly good. So good we were crestfallen to learn they do not participate with the room service menu. Best wishes, by ze whey!

Hi Jess!

Outstanding burgers. That's a good sign! Sounds like you had a really nice birthday! Room service?