• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American Chocaltiers

Suzi Edwards

http://jacquestorres.com/

In Brooklyn, even. It doesn't get more American than Brooklyn.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mariebelle is another. Their hot chocolate mixes are particularly good. I think their chocolates are over-priced.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

went for mariebelle...it looked like they were the only ones who could deliver (but did charge me $32 for the privelidge)

While good, one thing they are not is inexpensive.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Torres is actually making chocolate, as in taking cocoa beans and turning them into chocolate. I'm not sure if any other company mentioned here is doing that. In other words, Torres is a full-blown chocolatier in every sense of the word. The rest are really candy-makers, melting purchased chocolate in order to form candies. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I do think Torres is in a special category.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Essential will be, once their operation is in full operation. They bought the original Red Hook brewery building (was a trolley barn?) to create a chocolate factory - bean to candy. I believe they plan to be substantially organic as well.

one bit of niggling.

title should be American Chocaltiers who do delivery *LOL*

saying "who deliver" could mean "who are as good as they say they are"

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I just received the latest The Rosengarten Report. This month's tasting scoop was on hot chocolate preparations. His absolute favorite rated 5 stars was from L.A. Burdick.. Number 2 was MarieBelle, followed by Les Confitures a L'Ancienne and Vosges Haut-Chocolatand several others at 4 stars. Interestingly Jacques Torres was rated excellent but less than two stars. Interesting reading. I hope to try a few of these.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since Dilletante's stopped carrying their apricot caramels, their chocolate has tasted quite waxy to me. Same with Moonstruck - five years ago they were great, and now they aren't worth sampling. Fran's, however, is excellent - their standards are very high, and the gray salt caramels are to die for. Two years ago, they had an earl grey tea truffle that was a knockout. But my current fav has to be Essential's - even their pates des fruits are excellent.

For the holidays, I used Steven Howard of Kokoa Chocolatier in Tulsa. Truly a thrill to be able to get fresh, hand dipped truffles and madelines without having them shipped in.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!