• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bûche de Noël/Buche de Noel/Yule Log

Random

How did you get the coloring so realistic?

Just chocolate buttercream, believe it or not. I discovered that when I went over the grooves with my warm hand, it left darker streaks as I went over it, which turned out to be a PERFECT effect!

I love it when stuff works out that way. :wub:

Chefpeon,

You are one of the reasons I am a bread baker and not a pastry chef any longer.  Your work is breath taking and inspiring.  Genuflection would be appropriate in your presence.

:blush: Jeepers....thanks for the compliments everyone! But genuflecting?

Nah! Stop it before you hurt yourself! Send me money instead. :raz: Totally kidding.

Sort of. :raz:

Yep gorgeous cake, Miss Anne. Somehow buttercream doesn't come out like that for me when I grapple with it. That's a superb finish. But that's a light chocolate icing too. If my arm wrestling with the buttercream doesn't produce similar results I know I could get close with my airbrush :biggrin:

Oh oh oh and the idea of not doing the rolled cake, just layers - you're a genius!

The little birdie & perfect bark - great with the holly too. Awesome stuff!!

delayed reaction here., very !@#$%^ funny Neil, bwahh haaa haaa indeed!! The real money I pick up change people drop in front of the cash register. (drive through windows are good too, old college trick!)

cool, thanks peeps- I will not be afraid to aim high price-wise for dorky cakes shaped like a log.

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Last year the 6" were between $25 and $40 and the 12" were $50 to $75 (depending on which bakery I saw them at here in Napa).

Wow, I never thought of that kind of price range--what do ordinary holiday baked goods--things like Apple Pies and Mince Pies--go for in your neighborhood?

Around here, at the high-price bakery they are $11 and $14 respectively.

I was thinking of starting small-time into it for the holidays this year offering some things to a local coffee shop/bakery outlet(meaning they don't have an onsite baker, but might buy my stuff or let me finish the baking there). It could make a little pocket money for me, eh?

It's not the destination, but the journey!

How do you pronounce Buche de Noel? I've never heard it pronounced, only seen it written. I feel so dumb not knowing, especially since I usually make one every year (a la Rose Levy Beranbaum's Chocolate Cloud Roll and whipped cream filling, plus her Milk Chocolate Buttercream - but I'd like to try something new!). Every year when someone asks me what sort of cake that is (Yes, I live in a rural area), I have to go through the same long, ignorant explanation I've given here - I don't KNOW!

Buche is sort of like "Boosh"

I agree the prices quoted seem high. I used to live in a very upscale income town in Connecticut and the local French bakery was charging in the $25-30 range for a 10 inch long or so cake last year.

As a consumer, I've felt sort of cheated if the cake is not a jellyroll type. It detracts from the tree ring appearance of each slice. As a baker, I've made this with pistachio buttercream filling and it worked really well.

Edited by rickster (log)

Last year the 6" were between $25 and $40 and the 12" were $50 to $75 (depending on which bakery I saw them at here in Napa).

Wow, I never thought of that kind of price range--what do ordinary holiday baked goods--things like Apple Pies and Mince Pies--go for in your neighborhood?

Around here, at the high-price bakery they are $11 and $14 respectively.

I was thinking of starting small-time into it for the holidays this year offering some things to a local coffee shop/bakery outlet(meaning they don't have an onsite baker, but might buy my stuff or let me finish the baking there). It could make a little pocket money for me, eh?

Here in Napa, I like the baked goods at Sweetie Pies. While I think they use way too much fondant on their cakes, their simple baked goods and pastries are exceptional. They are the ones that had the Buche that I saw last year. This year, according to their website, holiday pies are $23.50. Funny that I am looking at their Buche picture from last year, and it isn't nearly as pretty as the ones here in this thread!!! :wub:

Now Bouchon bakery in Yountville is quite unsurpassed in quality -- but they don't do traditional cakes. I just called them and they are going to start making larger holiday pies and Buche this year (versus their normally, small tartlets) -- about $22.00 for a pie and $35.00 for a 6" Buche.

Okay - like "Boosh day No-el?"  (I do know how to pronounce Noel.)

Not quite. Boosh is right (think of pursing your lips just slightly as you say it). The "de" is more like "duh", but clipped; "day" would be the Spanish pronunciation. The vowel sound is somewhere between the "uh" in "duh" and the "ir" in "dirt". If you say it quickly, you can even almost ignore the vowel and think "Buche d'Noel". "Noel" is like in the Christmas carol "The First Noel". 2 syllables (No-el, stressing the second syllable slightly).

Wow -- it's a lot easier to say than to explain. :wacko:

Or, you could just call it a Yule log. :wink:

Edited by bkeith (log)

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Beautiful log, Annie! I love the idea of getting around the roll by slicing up sheet cakes; makes production lots easier and storage easier as well.

Do you use an italian meringue buttercream in and/or on your logs?

Good luck with all the holiday work this season; just think of how much easier next year will be with two good hands!!!

Marjorie

Okay - like "Boosh day No-el?"  (I do know how to pronounce Noel.)

Not quite. Boosh is right (think of pursing your lips just slightly as you say it). The "de" is more like "duh", but clipped; "day" would be the Spanish pronunciation. The vowel sound is somewhere between the "uh" in "duh" and the "ir" in "dirt". If you say it quickly, you can even almost ignore the vowel and think "Buche d'Noel". "Noel" is like in the Christmas carol "The First Noel". 2 syllables (No-el, stressing the second syllable slightly).

Wow -- it's a lot easier to say than to explain. :wacko:

Or, you could just call it a Yule log. :wink:

"Day" - duh - I guess that's because I took Spanish in college. I know nothing about French. Thank you so much!

Do you use an italian meringue buttercream in and/or on your logs?

Since I had to make so many of them, I didn't bother making a meringue buttercream...I just made a "straight buttercream" where I mixed powdered sugar, vanilla and hot water to a thick paste, then added butter and whipped it til fluffy. It was very rich and stable, and had less tendency to crack when refrigerated. When I do sculpted cake work like that, that's the buttercream I like to use.

For the praline buttercream filling however, I use a french buttercream (whip yolks, add hot sugar syrup, then add butter, and whip). For flavor, I like french buttercream the best, so that's

why I like to use it in fillings exclusively.

Good luck with all the holiday work this season; just think of how much easier next year will be with two good hands!!!

Yeah, just imagine this time next year I should be pain-free! I don't know what that's like these days! :rolleyes:

Hi everbody! I am wondering what pastry chefs/bakery owners are charging for Buche de Noel this season. Say 12", classic log with meringue mushrooms and the whole enchilada. Naturally, all made from scratch using  good stuff...

Thanks,

Mel

Several years ago (6 to 8 ?) in D.C. I was doing about 40 or 50 each season for Xmas orders. Back then i think I charged $55, with meringue mushrooms, marzipan holly/berries and a little marzipan mouse, sprinkled with 10x for the snow effect. I had two flavors available: hazelnut praline, or chocolate. All very high quality ingredients, nuts, chocolate, booze, made with French buttercream-- and showpiece look. I only did one size, the jellyroll 10x15 pan. In my restaurant last year, I made a killer one for display on the marble sideboard out front, and then 7 more simple versions which we sliced in the back, garnished with mushrooms and served Xmas Eve as part of special $85 holiday menu. Today, I would probably charge about $100 for the same whole cake.

Last year (2003) I got a mailer from an "ok" little bakery in the suburbs-- saved it in my "competition file". I quote:

Yule Logs 12" -- $35 18" -- $55

Moist sponge cake brushed with rich liquer (sic) and rolled with your choice of orange, hazlenut (sic) or raspberry buttercream and covered with chocolate ganache and decorated with your favorite Christmas design

Btw, his holiday pies on this mailer were quoted at $10.95 for 9" and $15.95 for 10" deep dish (all pumpkin, apple, sweet potato). Pecan Pie only in 9" for $12.95

HTH

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

...but when I discovered praline buttercream I started using that. It tastes SO good, plus I have the convenience of a buttercream.

Okay, okay, okay, I'm hooked on the sound of this. What are you using for the praline flavoring?

Thanks!

Di

My chef used to pay 27.00 per pecan pie thru his wholesale source. Thats a whole lot of profit for such a simple item to make.

Wow! You should have told him to pay you the $27.....you could have had some nice side money just making his pies! :laugh:

Okay, okay, okay, I'm hooked on the sound of this. What are you using for the praline flavoring?

Ok, first you make your praline.....cook your sugar til light amber, add toasted hazelnuts and toasted blanched almonds, swirl them into your amber sugar, then pour it all out onto greased parchment or a silpat (or a greased sheet pan) and let it cool til hard. Once hardened, break it into small pieces and run it in a food processor til it's ground to a fine powder. Then you add this powder to your favorite french buttercream. Yum!

• 1 month later...

After making dozens of buche de noel this year, I'm curious about how others do theirs so thought I'd ask.

I make mine with a yellow or chocolate sponge (biscuit), and fill it with a flavored (hazelnut, chocolate, raspberry or cappuccino) meringue buttercream, and pipe on dark chocolate ganache, with the little knot in the middle; with sugar snow, some meringue mushrooms and marzipan holly. I wish I'd taken a picture to show, sorry. The roll is about a half-sheet wide (I offer one size only because I don't want to deal with sizing, etc. - I'm rolling the long side) and I cover the ends with ganache to prevent it from drying out.

I was at a gourmet store today, and the one they featured looked as if it were also made from sponge cake, but the ends were exposed. It looked as if there was a thin layer of ganache on the sponge cake and then a layer of buttercream. It also looked like chocolate buttercream (grained with a comb) on the outside, decorated with gum paste holly and petit fours presents. They had lots of different sizes, so I think they must roll from the short end of the sheet pan.

So ... tell us about your buche de noel!

I have the most fantastic recipe for Buche de Noel. Strangely enough, I got it from the foodnetwork site after watching Martha Stewart make it on her show. The recipe has now been taken off the site, and I am lucky enough to be in possesion of one printed copy of the recipe. I have since typed it up for my own sake as I would be deeply, deeply saddened if I lost it.

Anyway, I guess it is pretty basic. It starts off a chocolate genoise (did I spell that right?) which is than covered with a buttercream and coconut, then rolled and covered with a basic white frosting. I serve it with little baked meringue "mushrooms" and some sugared rosemary sprigs. Absolutely delicious.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com