• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where should I have dinner tonight?

JennyUptown

Although I mentioned Palena as a possibility in a previous post, I think my friend may be too casually attired for her to feel comfortable there (no jest, no jab - just the truth).

We've done Indique to death. She doesn't like Bardeo. I don't love Thai so Spices and Jandara wouldn't be high on my list. Forget pasta and sushi. Austin Grill is a distinct possibility because my friend loves their margaritas (food is apparently secondary!).

I'm giving you a ton to work with, I realize. :biggrin:

Has anyone been to Bourbon?

I'd like to check out the spectacle that is Suck's - I mean Buck's - but the attire problem pops up again.

Are there other places I'm overlooking?

What about Sake Club further down Conn. Ave. (not to be confused with Saki)?

I don't think they have a dress code, but I would call to ask.

Or go to Palena anyway and say hi to Derrick... ask him about Sake Club b/c he's the one who got me excited about trying it.

Maybe I'll go to Sake this weekend, especially if you give me positivie feedback...

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Another disappointment tonight: Bourbon. I feel bad saying it (not to mention slightly nauseated), but que sera sera.

Headed to Bourbon at the suggestion of a friend. We sat at the bar and said friend realized that she went to school with the bartender. Their reminiscing warmed up what I found to be initially chilly service. The two bartenders had been so wrapped up in their own conversation so as to give us little attention when we first sad down.

Anyway...my friend was on antibiotics so she passed on an alcoholic bevvy; I had a glass of Liar's Dice Zinfandel ($8). It was served colder than I'd hoped for but once it warmed up I found it to be a nice berry-tasting wine. Still, while I waited for it to warm up, I regretted not trying out a beer (about eight on tap and 15 or so by the bottle).

The menu is largely comprised of sandwiches (probably 8-10 of them) including the standard burger, a veggie burger, a grilled mushroom option, catfish, crab cakes, and an ostrich burger. The least expensive was $7 or 8 and I think prices on the sandwiches topped out at $11 or $12. There were three entrees - a tuna steak, a beef tenderloin and...a strip steak I believe (priced at $18+). All sandwiches and entrees come with a side of bourbon baked beans. There are a few starters (including chicken wings), most with a bourbon angle, in the $4-6 price range.

Our first impression of the burgers...holy buns! Seriously, the thing was at LEAST five inches long even though the burger itself was average to below-average size. We both ordered their signature bourbon sauce on the side - good thing because it would have been too much. Mine, with cheddar cheese and bacon, was cooked more than I had requested (medium) but still juicy. But there were flavors in there I couldn't place. Even after removing the bacon, the thing was so damn salty (this from a salt lover). The accompanying side of beans - so tiny - was very tasty though.

No desserts were listed on the menu or offered by the bartenders though I did see a cake stand with something (!) in it behind the bar.

Other comments - decor is pretty nice. It's definitely no dive bar in looks although the first floor room was pretty smoky to me. But the music was all over the place. One minute we heard Louie Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World." Then a Parliament song. Then...well, you get the picture. It bugged us.

Would I go back? Yes, but probably just for beer. I really wanted to like this place so I'm bummed, but what can you do?

I have to completely disagree with you, Jenny.

Bourbon is one of my favorite bars in D.C. But I think that to really appreciate Bourbon, you have to, well...Try the bourbon.

There are at least 30 specialty bourbons on the menu, with a wide range of prices, and the bartender that is usually there is very knowledgeable about the process of bourbon making and explaining what you should look for when tasting.

I for one am glad that there is finally a bar in DC that specializes in such a unique drink that is so welcoming and friendly as well.

Just my two cents.

Jennifer

I have to agree with WoodleyGrrl. As a bar, I really like Bourbon. For starters it is around the corner from my house. I've gone with friends and solo and the bartenders have always been very friendly and have been slowly walking a friend and I through the bourbon selections. They've put together different pairings and talked with us at length about the process and distilleries. This is a comfortable neighborhood bar and a needed addition to the area.

I posted my comments to point out that I've had different experiences with the bartenders then you did -- perhaps you caught them on an off night-- and that people should, as you point out, play to the bar's strength. This is more a bar that offers food then a restaurant that has a good bar scene.

In that area, heading south to north, I like Sushi-Ko, Heritage India, 2 Amy's and Palena. Those are some of my favorite places in DC regardless of geography, as a matter of fact. There's even a Popeye's around there, and Rockland's.

You could give Saveur a try at 2218 Wisconsin. In the interest of full disclosure, I am friends with the owners. Having said that, if you are talking about restaurants on this stretch of Wisconsin, this one deserves a mention. I was there recently, and they are in the process of expanding their bar (my vote is that they feature champagnes prominently). Nice ambience, and very good food (try the expanded hors d'oevres menu, which can make a meal in itself). We go to Bourbon frequently and while it is a great bar in a part of the city that needs a great bar, it's just that. Savuer hopes to be a great bar, but is already a great restaurant. So, go a little south from Bourbon and let me know how you find the experience.

Just a thought.

Thanks.

You could give Saveur a try at 2218 Wisconsin. In the interest of full disclosure, I am friends with the owners.

Wld that be Cheesemaster Gene, fomerly of Dean and Deluca and Norman's? Tell Gene I still remember selling melons on the side of the road like it was yesterday. If Gene ain't there anymore....then no wonder the front of that place looks so much better (kidding)... :cool: