• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Young & Hungry, by Todd Kliman

morela

A new style of tasting menu?

I suspect the date of this issue is a clue on this one.

Reminds me of Michael Landrum's Ni-Burger idea where HVAC system is modified to ciruclate the aroma of miniburgers througout the establishment. You don't actually get to eat the miniburgers, you only get get to smell them.

Only a real sick-o would think of that.

Edited by morela (log)

I thought that one was kinda weak. Would have been more mileage in digging into why exactly PC has become a such talisman of home for Central Americans, rather than superficially batting around the company's plans to go mass-market. Didn't have his usual flavor.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband & I read this review of Bombay Masala in this week's City Paper restaurant roundup (Indian/Pakistani) and thought the idea of indian-chinese food sounded yummy and intriguing. So without bothering to write down the name of the restaurant or the address, we headed out to Greenbelt Road to track it down.

After circling a couple PG County strip-malls, we found a place with "Bombay" in the name and went inside. The room was small, and the decor was a strange combination of basement rumpus room (linoleum floor and faux wood paneled walls) and classic Indian (framed Hindu prints). We didn't see any of the dishes mentioned in the review, in fact nothing seemed to indicate a chinese influence. :huh:

Since we were already seated, we decided to eat anyway (after all, it had to be better than the Ruby Tuesday's in the same shopping center) and worked our way through a perfectly serviceable but not the slightest bit memorable meal. Samosas, tandourri lamb, cauliflower curry, naan.

Convinced that we had ended up in the wrong "Bombay" restaurant, we looked up the review when we got home -- nope! We'd been in the right place! (but it musta been the wrong time... - sorry) I guess we should've given the waiter the secret handshake and whispered to him about the special menu for those in the know :cool: Given that the review is almost a year old though, I'm wondering. If we decide to go back, we'll call beforehand to see if that chinese-indian menu actually exists.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book