• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Young & Hungry, by Todd Kliman

morela

Pretty entertaining.

Did anyone look yet? I like how he even related underage drinking.

Never available online, so you have to snag one on the street and turn to page 50- something.

I hope this guy is as cool as Brett Anderson.

The Washington City Paper has hired a new restaurant writer, Bill.

They had a job announcement almost a year ago for the position, actually. No idea what transpired after that.

I thought it was really well written, but it maybe wouldn't have hurt if he'd mentioned the food a *little* more. Still, it'll be interesting to see how the column re-evolves.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I miss Brett. I sometimes read his column in the Times-Picayune online even though I have never visited New Orleans. I emailed with him a little bit some time ago, and he seems like a genuine, nice, accessible guy. I still mourn his departure from the CityPaper.

Bill, you oughta get out more. *gentle tease*

I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually see Todd's new column online. You have a smart new full-time food hire, you defy expectation by giving him the freedom to write about more than just the predictable cheap eats/ethnic beat, and you have a chance to position that person almost immediately as a second lively and relevant weekly food and restaurant read after Tom--seems a no-brainer for CP to archive Todd's stuff online.

We'd certainly talk about it more, which might drive more people to their new restaurant rater pseudo-Zagat gig.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I thought it was really cool that for his first column, he covered a spot in overlooked PG County. There's a few places in College Park that Sietsema has written about recently (Lupo's, which is really only special because of its location, and Mandalay, which is the sort of ethnic restaurant everybody should have in their backyard), but other than that there's very little written out there about restaurants in this area. (Partly because there aren't many worth writing about!)

I live less than a mile from the PG county line and would cross that line more often to check out any worthwhile places if I knew about them. It sounds better than fighting traffic and parking in Bethesda or downtown.

• 1 month later...

Another enjoyable Young & Hungry column this week

("Dessert Storm" on page 50).

Check it out!

Steve Klc, did you really say, "like f%cking Starbucks"? :laugh:

City Paper is refreshing that way, but I'm still waitng for them to regularly post this column online (Ask them if they will: hungry@washcp.com).

Actually, if you want to see the column online, you might want to write to Dave Nuttycombe, the Washington CityPaper Webmeister at webmeister@washcp.com

I do know that the budgets for the print vs. online editions of the CityPaper compete for funding, and that advertisers are loathe to buy ads for the online edition, hence the slim content at www.washingtoncitypaper.com

cheers--

Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training.

Anna Freud

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo! They listened to me! :cool: Thanks, Mr. Nuttycombe.

This week: "Plus Ça Change..."

All of Todd Kliman's other columns

Only articles from the last 4 weeks are free.

Damn, I wanted to read "The Empire Stikes Again" again, but it's $2.95.

What's next, WCP archived in Lexis-Nexis?! God is too good sometimes.

PS: "Dessert Storm"

Edited by morela (log)

Plus Ça Change...

I've been onioned by Gillian Clark: her meat loaf sandwich is served with onions three-ways: raw, sauteed, batter-dipped-and-fried.

Has anyone noticed that Gillian "Herbert von Karajan" Clark's and Carole "I cook because I'm an artist" Greenwood's initials are palindromes? Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?

Mr. Kliman clears up some sushi myths in this week's, "The Raw Deal"

The three articles I've read by Todd Kliman are terrific, basically investigative journalism relating to the Washington DC food scene. Todd, are you out there? You're doing a great job.

I was going to post this as an addendum to my Korean thread, but it works just as well here:

Mr. Kliman writes,

"Why is the United States not more like Japan, where you can count on quality sushi even at the littlest hole in the wall?

“Because of the not-very-developed seafood distribution in this country,” Okochi theorizes, adding, “You grow up in Japan, you never see bad fish.”

My friend emailed me today and wrote the following comments in response to my musings about Korean cuisine (this is paraphrased and heavily edited):

if there is time, money and patronage this is one level.  another consideration is availability of produce and the distance to end point  -- note the difference in cantonese vs hunanese cuisine.  also nouvelle cuisine vs classical (escoffier) is roughly the equivalent of cantonese vs hunan (for that matter any part of northern china). fresh, produce cooked to enhance the fine quality close to source.  food becomes more manipulated with lesser quality and more showy aspects to mask inferior quality  -- sauces, frying etc.

P.S. Someone was asking about the fugu at Kaz. Caveat emptor.

Cheers,

Rocks.

"Not only is this well-written public service jounalism, but he's blunt and funny too" and "The three articles I've read by Todd Kliman are terrific, basically investigative journalism relating to the Washington DC food scene. Todd, are you out there? You're doing a great job."

He is, isn't he? Doing a great job that is.

Anyone else know what Todd did before this gig? He taught at Howard University and they let him get away. Shame on his Department chair and the University President for not realizing the talent they had in their midst. Lucky for us, and the City Paper, though.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Kliman's article on Colorado Kitchen released today is phenomenal. He manages to effectively encapsulate the contradictions and tensions that subtly overshadow race issues in Washington, DC into a succint column on Gillian Clark, her food, restaurant, customers and neighboring community. It's like he's channeling the sensibility and mood of a George Pelecanos mystery and overlaying it onto a restaurant critique.

That’s Burrell, accent on the beurre.

I'm really starting to like reading this guy. He's clever. And this one spent more colmun inches talking about the food. He's branching out some.

Bill Russell

This week's column:

"Why Was This Week Different From All Other Weeks?"

It's a more personal review and one with distinctive food critiquing guidlines...

Mr. Kliman, I like how you seem real :smile: . You mentioning 'family' and 'a friend and his girlfriend' give you even more credibility. Your voice seems more neighborly.

Also, there's a new perspective on Rosa Mexicano here.

This week I nearly guessed it :biggrin:

"Pie in the Sky"

But Mr. Kliman, I didn't like the

Carciofi e Sedano. :sad:

(and it wasn't a matter of preference!)

And I did like the timbale that 'rivals peanut butter for stickness'.

An honest review that points out that there are some inconsistencies in this friendly neighborhood joint.

But none of that will keep me from returning...

Comfort, genuine hospitality, and chairs that fall backward; that's all I ever wanted.

The nice will stay nice, the wine glasses will start fuller than their tacky pour lines say, my friends will continue to meet me.... and the chairs will never stop falling.

Review Ginger Cove next then

Edited by morela (log)