• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosie's Favorites of 2003

Rosie

The wine was good enough to knock Sambuca right off the bar. What the hell did we drink that night? Jarvis '93?

i recall the wine being from about 92 or 93. and i think you brought 2 bottles from different years if memory serves.

I went back to the original discussion to see what we said at the time about the wines brought to Sonoma Grill.

We started with two bottles of Mount Veeder Cab Sauv '99 the first of which was a gift from Nick Gatti. The next bottle was a '94 Jarvis from Lou's stash, followed by a '92 from the same magic location. The house thoughtfully waived corkage.

Nick is doing well, he mentioned that dinner at Sonoma Grill a few weeks ago. It gave him a lot of pleasure to see a friend's restaurant tested by people who really appreciate good food, well prepared.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We started with two bottles of Mount Veeder Cab Sauv '99 the first of which was a gift from Nick Gatti. The next bottle was a '94 Jarvis from Lou's stash, followed by a '92 from the same magic location.

then followed by a few budweisers from the magical location up the road, Satin Dolls. :laugh:

Not to many excellent meals this year, and I dined out as much as usual. Lots of new entries dissapoint, and a few old favorites are on the downhill ride, but mostly its inconsistancy from one visit to another. Great dining experiences, including wine, food, atmosphere and service were rare: Rat's and SHI. Origins and Passage for always great food.

Rat's

Stage House Inn

Origins

Passage to India

inconsistant: Can be great, can be not even near great( within a month!): Stage Left, Harvest Moon Inn, Brother's Moon, No. 9, Amanda's

downhill slide: most of Chambersburg, except maybe Marsilio's and Chick's. Diamond's is a lost cause, used to be the shining jewel.

newer entries that never clicked: Lawrenceville Inn, Brother's Moon, Penang in Lawrence

Edited by Kim WB (log)

First and foremost, would someone clue me in about Shakers in Rutherford?!? New to me, and it's in my area. Thanks!

My 3 NJ favorites are oldies, but since they're consistent...

Nori -- Caldwell

GREAT sushi. I only eat a few things, but have many friends who are far more adventurous, and they agree.

India on the Hudson -- Hoboken

My ex-bf is Indian, and it's the only restaurant that he ever gave a full 4 stars to; consistently delish, and I often find myself craving it--must be those wonderful spices!

Tim Schafer's Cuisine -- Morristown

I've had only great dinners (food and fun) at this terrific BYO; great place to celebrate a special occasion, too.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

O.K. here goes

NJ

1. Strip House Livingston

(Excellent service, great steak, wine list needs to be a little more user friendly especially with Calif wines, no Syrah, no Meritage. Big bonus points for moving tables in the lounge so we can smoke and watch the football game)

2. Kyoto

(Florham park sushi house with excellent fresh fish and somewhat unusual roll that work most of the time)

3. Luigi's Roxbury

( It helps that I know them well but Aldo & Carlo when encouraged to off the menu never fail to please)

4. Sonoma Grill

( Wonderful hosts who handled a party with soooooo many critics well and came through with flying colors)

5, South City Grill Mt Lakes

(A place I hated originally. Have really turned the food around over the last year, music's a little loud but I'm getting a little old. Sucks that I'm off Thursday so if we go there I have to get the fuck out before the kids and the techno start)

NYC

1. Beacon.

$30.03 meal was the best I had all year. Steak surcharge was $6, so it's actually $36.03. Great arugola salad, Steak was kickass. Souffle for dessert, perfect. 2 1/2 bottle by myself at the bar certainly didn't hurt.

2 Otto

My favorite munching place in the city. Bartenders friendly and once you're recognized they hustle to get a seat at the bar quickly without fighting the NYU students slightly buzzed. Pizzas good, not great. Cold poached fish, cheese & saulume always top notch.

3. Gotham Bar & Grill

A good stand-by when Sue and I can't think of where to eat. We got to know Mark the Bartender over the last few years and he's always done us good steering us through the menu. Also a place where customers are friendly, mostly drunk and a lot of fun

4. Blue Smoke.

Favorite place to knosh on Brisket, 3 styles of ribs, numerous beers to go with taht smokey flavor. Excellent place to sit at the bar and watch a golf major.

5. Morimoto Philadelphia

An outstanding meal and a close 2nd to Beacon but only because of price. 9 courses at $120 and $60 for booze, it was sublime. I look forward to some buddies of mine and myself taking the Amtrak to catch a Mets-Phillies game in their new stadium and perhaps a little sidebar to Moromoto. An ellegant, hip, engaging looking restaurant with great tiny lounge upstairs.

Misses for 2003

1. Legal seafood Short Hills Mall

I don't get it. I ate there twice and it was barely medicore. Not worth the tariff

2. Babbo.

Had the tasting menu last year and should have had the pasta tasting menu this year but went Ala Carte. I just didn't enjoy it and I had a $250 Gift certifiacte, it didn't cost much out ofmy pocket. Sommieier, steered me to a 93' Barbaresco that never opened up. Had potential but was limp an hour later. ( I finished it of course.

3. Shakers

Eff em'

Lou

Lou, just out of curiousity, what attracts you to eating at the bar in a restaurant instead of the dining room? Particularly when you're not alone (I always think of the bar as the place to eat when I'm dining alone, but have never thought to sit their with my SO)

Casey

Lou, just out of curiousity, what attracts you to eating at the bar in a restaurant instead of the dining room? Particularly when you're not alone (I always think of the bar as the place to eat when I'm dining alone, but have never thought to sit their with my SO)

Casey

speaking for myself, i think the bar offers a completely different experience. there's something to be said about getting 2 experiences out of one restaurant. given the choice, i'd try both at any given restaurant. but i do enjoy the "social" aspect of the bar.

Casey

1st of all we smoke, but we plan to stop for the 46th time Jan 3rd. If it's me alone I like to hang at the bar and read, I find it relaxing and you usually will strike up a conversation with the barkeep and eventually he'll remember you and make sure you're taken care of.

2nd, if I'm with Sue and we're in the city, we get to hit a couple of places and maybe have apps in one place and move on and have more apps or a main course. Having a restaurant and only one day to ourselves, we want to get as much bang for the money as possible and I find apps are a sure indictive of a restaurant as anything.

3rd, I'm a bit of a lush and Sue doesn't bitch as much as when we move and she gets a taste of everything. :hmmm:

4th, Sometimes we just pop in a place we're inetersted in just to get a glimpse of what's going on and then decide if we'll return.

5th, Most of the egullet gang that's met me will tell you that I march to the beat of a different drummer and just act on a whim.

Best, Lou.

P.S. I hope you got the gift certificate in time.

Thanks guys! My hubby smokes (I don't) and I like my drinks with dinner (he doesn't) so we may try the bar thing in the future.

Yes, Lou, I received the gift certificate in time, and my Mom was thrilled beyond belief (after hearing so much about your place from my brother). Hubby and I are planning to finally visit your restaurant early in the new year--my incentive is I'm not going out for any more "nice" dinners until my dissertation is complete (a quasi New Years resolution that I hope will give me added incentive). I am determine to get there in the first quarter of the year!

So, everyone keep the great posts coming--I'm living vicariously through all of you for a while!

Casey

We didn't get out as much as I would've liked this year, but the places that stood out were Mie Thai, Epernay, and Mignon.

First and foremost, would someone clue me in about Shakers in Rutherford?!? New to me, and it's in my area. Thanks!

It's not a restaurant, but they don't even take song requests, so you probably wouldn't want to go anyway. Eff Shakers. :laugh:

Hi! This is my first post. I've really enjoyed and learned quite a bit from all of you so far. I am blessed to live in restaurant Nirvana--Montclair. My favorites of 2003 are: The Manor--never had a bad meal there although know people who have; Corso 98--service, food, everything great, except we were kicked out one Saturday night for staying too long; Aozora--duck with foie gras sauce..ummm; Little Saigon--I'm still in mourning; Andre's in Newton--impeccable in every way; 77 Walnut Street--very good all around; China Gourmet in West Orange--love the weekend dim sum; Liberte--in the summertime for their extraordinary outdoor garden dining. Off topic--my husband took me to Daniel for our anniversary--flawless.

Casey

don't know about lou but since i eat out for lunch and many times by myself, usually the bar is more fun. i think of dining rooms as a formal space - someplace for dinner and usually with johnnybird - though i did drag him and my friend michelle to eat at the bar at american grill - lunch each time. when i eat at the bar i can enter into a conversation if i wish or just sit and read(ask tammy at thirsty moose).

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2nd, if I'm with Sue and we're in the city, we get to hit a couple of places and maybe have apps in one place and move on and have more apps or a main course. Having a restaurant and only one day to ourselves, we want to get as much bang for the money as possible and I find apps are a sure indictive of a restaurant as anything.

3rd, I'm a bit of a lush and Sue doesn't bitch as much as when we move and she gets a taste of everything. :hmmm:

5th, Most of the egullet gang that's met me will tell you that I march to the beat of a different drummer and just act on a whim.

i would rather order a few small plates - appetizers- and really enjoy them rather than eat one large plate of something - i'm with sue on that one.

different drummer? more like full precussion section - just like john which is why i love him so much.... :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 5 weeks later...

I'm happy to add some of my favorites to your list. These are my "regular" places. I'm never disappointed when I eat at them. Most are moderatedly priced and not at all pretentious. If you're ever in Bergen County, give them a try.

Andrea's, Waldwick -- great shrimp parmigiana. full of regulars. way too crowded on the weekend. they may take your reservation, but don't expect to be seated on time.

Bangkok Garden, Hackensack -- hands down the best Pad Thai in Bergen County

Lotus Cafe, Hackensack -- good chinese. cheap, informal and always packed with hungry patrons

Babylon, River Edge -- our latest find for delicious Turkish food. reasonable prices and friendly service provided by the family-ownership.

Minato, Hillsdale -- a small, friendly habachi restaurant that attracts lots of locals. food is fresh and light on the butter-oil quotient. they happen to have good sushi, too.

Kinara, Edgewater -- great food, great service. they never overcook the shrimp like so many Indian restaurants are prone to do.

Baumgart's, Englewood and Ridgewood -- what can I say, but I love their pineapple fried rice, not to mention their yummy desserts!

Enjoy!

Janbee

:biggrin:

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.