• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve: What are You Eating or Serving?

sarah w

Hmm - I envy the people that will be eating at both places. Us? We'll be serving leftovers in some form or other. But for our family, the big food day is Christmas - and the goal is not to have to cook seriously (apart from veggies, bread, etc.) for the remaining 12 days of Christmas - or at least until we all start work again on the 3rd. So - apart from leftovers cooked up as goose & ham croquettes, we're thinking stilton & gruyere shortbread, a spinach, avocado & bacon salad with dried sour cherry vinaigrette & chocolates from Sen5es if there are any left - wine choices will be made nearer the time, but there'll doubtless be Kir Royale in there somewhere, assuming Dad remembers the Cassis - and good champagne at midnight, with or without smoked salmon (depending on who's got any energy left). Apart from family, we're expecting to have people dropping in & out all evening to skate on the lake, help with the jigsaw (family tradition - don't ask) & drink hot chocolate - spiked or otherwise - so it will be pretty laid back.

But if I could arrange some of the TOTALLY AMAZING hangar steak that we had at the HSG when we were down this weekend? That would totally be my choice. Meaty, perfect, wonderful steak. And thanks, Chef - we had a fabulous dinner and your staff are great - attentive without being pushy, and very responsive. Now about the 5 pounds I gained ...

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

I will be watching this thread quite closely.

J & I have booked ourselves into a little cottage on the Sunshine Coast for New Year's. There's stream running through the property, the inlet is just across the street (a literal stone's throw) and the hot-tub is secluded behind the cottage.

We'll pre-cook as much as we can and finish/reheat on site. I have acquired a lovely bottle of Cassis, a bottle or two of Port, and have already purchased a lovely bottle of Brut from Pyramid Vineyards.

I'm thinking something cheese-wise, something pig-wise, something duck-wise ... just need to swipe some menu ideas from this thread!

A.

"So - apart from leftovers cooked up as goose & ham croquettes, we're thinking stilton & gruyere shortbread, a spinach, avocado & bacon salad with dried sour cherry vinaigrette & chocolates from Sen5es if there are any left - wine choices will be made nearer the time, but there'll doubtless be Kir Royale in there somewhere, assuming Dad remembers the Cassis - and good champagne at midnight, with or without smoked salmon (depending on who's got any energy left)."

Wow! That sounds amazing! What was the address again?! :laugh:

There is a group of us that have been celebrating NYE every year together for about 25 years. We more or less have the same people each year- with some additions and deletions for various reasons (divorces, remarriages etc). The menu is more or less the same and we generally alternate between our house and the home of another couple. When they host, the main course is lobster and when we host the main course is usually beef tenderloin as I hate to eat lobster in dress up clothes. We always have blini and caviar with iced vodka and we always have my husband's (famous) grapefruit sorbet. And there is always at least 1 chocolate dessert. Other than that we are flexible :laugh:

This year is a lobster year - as dinner isn't at our house. But I will do the appetizers and desserts so will be doing some research and I am very open to suggestions so don't hesitate to offer your ideas.

Cheers,

Karole

"So - apart from leftovers cooked up as goose & ham croquettes, we're thinking stilton & gruyere shortbread, a spinach, avocado & bacon salad with dried sour cherry vinaigrette & chocolates from Sen5es if there are any left - wine choices will be made nearer the time, but there'll doubtless be Kir Royale in there somewhere, assuming Dad remembers the Cassis - and good champagne at midnight, with or without smoked salmon (depending on who's got any energy left)."

Wow! That sounds amazing! What was the address again?! :laugh:

You'd be more than welcome - just drive to Prince George, turn west, drive another 400 km, and you're there! :laugh::raz:

I thought that this would be my first New Years since the age of 13 that I wouldn't be working - no such luck as my buddy called three days ago and said he hit the mother of all catering gigs - seems that a fellow he cooked for last winter bought an $8.9 million dollar shack in Whistler - they need a butler which is going to be me and I just found out this morning that I'll be working with a housekeeper their flying in from Britain named Peachy - budget seems to be unlimited for the two week gig so I will add all the riotous over the top tid bits as they unfold.

I'll be working with a housekeeper their flying in from Britain named Peachy - budget seems to be unlimited for the two week gig so I will add all the riotous over the top tid bits as they unfold.

Peachy? Dear lord, I believe that Pauls' New Year's could deserve it's own thread! The mind boggles ...

A.

Not that I'm the least bit savvy to to the ways of the world of those with money but, why would someone fly a cleaning person from Britian, and then rely on word of mouth from the cook for a butler? Seems backwards no?

Although if I was to hire a cleaning person, the name Peachy would add you to my shortlist prior to the first interview.

Wow, nothing to compare with you lot: I am usually at my parents' place in Sun Peaks (not a multi-million-dollar chalet, more's the pity!) and we have usually had so much eating done by New Year's that we just graze on appetizers all night long, and drink bubbles, typically one bottle of Dom Pérignon in there, but anything is possible after the first bottle (since we're only three people, two bottles is usually the most we get through--well, depending on how thirsty I am). And what with the skiing and everything, we're often in bed right after midnight. But then we get up and ski on New Year's Day, early! one of the best days of the year.

Previous years have seen many many Cosmopolitans (or much much whiskey) and cheap-ass bubbles with a girlfriend at one of the local hangouts, but I will be solo this year, so quiet and at home (with Champagne) will fit the bill.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

.........the housekeeper is coming with the family from Britain - the chef is an ex Aerie staffer so I am sure Mr. Kendal will be interested in seeing what his ex-pat can dream up - I am heading to Whistler tomorrow to start set up - they arrive on Sunday and I hope to hell I can find a sabre for the champagne.

We are starting off with some foie gras and a bottle of Bollinger; then walking over to the Irish heather for a New Year's eve dinner Irish style. Next morning some black pudding, truffled scambled eggs, and a bottle of Pol Roger await.

Stephen and Helen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

[- they need a butler which is going to be me and I just found out this morning that I'll be working with a housekeeper their flying in from Britain named Peachy -

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

New Year's Eve is either spent working, which is one of my least favourite nights to work (I'm in the restaurant industry), or watching videos, drinking wine and eating a platter of cheeses, meats, pates, crackers, ect. I'm even slightly embarrassed to admit that there has been more than one occasion that I have been asleep before the clock strikes 12. And no, it has not been during a night of work :wink:

Derek

Hi Wine Geek:

Welcome to eGullet although Arnie has probably already welcomed you.

There are many times when I've wished I could have stayed at home and not done the party event. Midnight is not my finest hour. It seems like a good night to raid the cellar and pull out an interesting bottle and savour it with someone special.

Cheers,

Karole

After 20+ years on the front line (managing, bartending, cooking or waitering) I have reached that "happy place" where I no longer have to work NYE (or brunch the next day).

New Year's Eve will be at home - dinner for 6 + 1 child. Menu is still tentative but the main course will be Rack of Lamb - probably with rosemary, garlic and mustard involved - served with a 1999 Burgundy yet to be selected and some 1998 Pesquera (remember when they put it on sale for $19.95?) .

Some smoked salmon and Dungeness crab will appear in some form as appetizers with champagne (likely Taittinger Brut or Lanson Black Label) and a stinky cheese course will occur with Taylor's 20 year old Tawny. A charcuterie platter will be put out around 10:30ish by which point the wine choice will be of little importance.

We are hoping to make it to 12:01 again, last year I had to wake up my wife to let her know that it was midnight (not advised).

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I'll be at home alone. Somehow I just can't get excited about New Year's Eve and usually elect to stay home and be self indulgent.

I'll open a bottle of champagne, maybe a Pol Roger '96 or Jacquesson Cuvee 728, make a shrimp and scallop risotto, a little salad, a little Les amis du Fromage cheese plate, maybe have some port and nuts and settle in to read the new edition of Harold Magee's On Food and Cooking which I'll probably get for Christmas. If I'm still up at midnight, I'll clang a pot out the window.

Cheers,

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

New Year's Eve is coming up so I thought I'd pull up this thread.

I went shopping on Granville Island today and got duck confit, venison, morels, hen of the woods (I got this free!) and cactus pears (just b/c I've never had them before and they look unusual). I'm probably going to use the confit to make that fantastic duck appetizer we ate at Hamilton Street Grill. I decided not to do the foie gras at home since I might mess it up...but I'm still planning to get a truffle and use it in something...maybe truffled potatoes?

edit: I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the venison. :smile: I like venison with cherry sauce but my bf doesn't like the fruit and meat combo.

Edited by Ling (log)

One of my least favorite things to do has always been celebrating New Year's Eve at some huge out of control and/or boring party with a bunch of people I don't know. I just don't get that at all. Thank goodness, this year, we have out of town guests staying and they wanted to stay in and have dinner here! I am in heaven! I get to decorate AND cook, so i am a happy camper. I don't have the entire menu set quite yet, but this is what I've got so far:

Appetizers TBA (after I get some good ideas here :biggrin: )

We are Napa Valley natives so we'll probably be having Shramsberg and some older Codorniu sparkling and some Domaine Mumm.

Wild mushroom soup

Roasted beet and Haricots Verts salad with roquefort-avocado vinaigrette

Roasted Prime Rib

Mashed Potato Gratin (this is also still open to change...but some sort of potato dish)

Spinach souffle

Wines are undecided at this point

Dessert is also undecided

New Year's Day breakfast will be :

Ramos Fizzes

Bloody Marys

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon or canadian bacon

Hashed brown potatoes

Fresh fruit

Coffee and juice

There will be chili, cornbread and jalapeno bread and other appetizers during the day for the football games and we're going out to an Italian Restaurant that night for dinner

Sunday morning breakfast will be:

Mimosas

Smoked chicken and apple sausages

Shirred eggs with chives

scalloped potatoes

Fresh fruit, coffee and juices

Monday will finally end our week of gluttony and we can go back to eating like we normally do.....the same way, just 2 of us, LOL.

Tomorrow night, beef bourguignon.

Saturday brunch/lunch: chilled cracked Dungeness crab, smoked salmon, scallops wrapped in bacon and broiled, chilled shrimp. Garnishes, sauces, baguettes, crackers. I have the makings for oyster stew but may save them for dinner that night.

We got a lot of nice chocolates for Christmas and those will be dessert for both meals-- and all meals in the near future.