• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve: What are You Eating or Serving?

sarah w

44 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

If you go back and look at what I posted on 1/2/2018, that is exactly what I expect to be eating in a few hours.  We have done the same thing for the past 30+ years

Had to go back and refresh the memory... no reason to fix what isn't broke, looks tasty. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Heading out shortly to a small gathering at a friend’s house with a few goodies. Rob’s Wedding Tartlets (caramelized red onion and Stilton), idea courtesy of @Kerry Beal; macarons filled with raspberry Prosecco white chocolate ganache; and volcano chocolates filled with salted caramel ganache and dusted with silver and gold interference powders. Looking at them I think they look more alien eyeball than shimmering delight, but what can you do. Happy New Year to all - may 2020 bring each of you more of what you cherish most!

A1155D32-C100-4B98-9F9B-A49B3673CC01.thumb.jpeg.298d55d49cb21e7b04111227052ade9e.jpeg

01214B7E-5316-4885-94AC-DC709279568B.thumb.jpeg.db3e1d2e1f3bc552f594848435e0bb51.jpeg

B1191500-D091-463D-8560-4F481749A973.thumb.jpeg.a614d326e7714e4e04d93984524902b1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

Patty

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Round 1

patatas bravas

Red wine braised chorizo picante...dipping bread shown earlier

Drinking wine

Dinner companion

011.thumb.JPG.70a7f404b7b8313d9893c62aca05a619.JPG

‘Henry is a rockstar!

I wound up taking the small people to the local Italian restaurant because they wanted "sketti." Which was really linguini, one with just marinara, one with marinara and meatballs. I had seafood cannelloni, which wasn't bad.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

No cooking for me tonight. I spent a good hour and a half at the gym. Then football on the teevee. I posted the following on my favorite sports bored.

I've been home most of the night. Listened to the greatest rock and roll band of all time covering Dylan tunes. When I Paint My Masterpiece; Stuck Inside of Mobile with them Memphis Blues Again; Desolation Row; Visions of Johanna.

Yeah, that was a good hour and a half of music.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

It was Yesterday for us.

Starters:

Bacon wrapped Prawns baked on a bed of buttery earlier oven roasted Garlic (I think I could have served the buttery garlic as a side but it would have bordered on gluttony )

Main:

SV fillet steak with oven roasted potato roasted in beef fat that had been flavored with oven roasted Garlic,  mushrooms oven roasted with a tomato,cheese & jalapeno topping.

Wine was a 2010 Vintage Brut sparkling (we are not allowed to call it champagne) for the starters and a superb 2012 Shiraz with the main.

We skipped desert, and just had  a bit of Triple Brie as we finished off the wine.

• Like 4

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

6 hours ago, Bernie said:

I think I could have served the buttery garlic as a side but it would have bordered on gluttony

And??? :raz::D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ended up making a late addition to our smorgasbord - 

Was gifted some beautifully large dried porcini, so I re-hydrated a few in hot water and dry seared some shiitake and oyster mushrooms - in went some shallots, young garlic and fresh picked thyme (there was snow on the ground!!!) along with some white wine and the porcini and liquid - reduced mostly, then blitzed with butter and schmeared on toasts. 

All was enjoyed with a fantastic 2011 Williams Selyem Drake Estate Chard.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

For many people this time of year means a sugar overload. For me it's a wheat overload. I feel best when eating rice, so that's a big part of our diet. I'm not allergic to wheat or gluten, but I just do better when it isn't the main starch at every meal. My husband bakes bread and it's delicious, so I often do have toast for breakfast. My houseguests this year were three millennials, all of whom wanted lots of bagels and lox and ravioli and home made pizza.

They have all flown the coop now but it's hard to go cold turkey when there is still part of a home made white pullman loaf and a chunk of Oaxaca cheese. My New Year's Eve meal was minimalist and perfect: a glass of semi-sweet iced tea and a grilled cheese sandwich. Oh, I forgot to mention that my nephew is a slave to ice cream. In the freezer there are half empty containers of the following: Dark Chocolate Sea Salt ice cream, Vietnamese Coffee with Chicory ice cream, and Bourbon and Corn Flake ice cream.  That last one was the worst of the three. It's an alcoholic version of cereal milk ice cream, which is my least favorite thing ever. And at my request, someone caved and brought home the familiar and minimalist Hagen Daz Coffee.  Which is what I had for my final dessert of 2019, several hours after my perfect grilled cheese.

My husband and I are looking forward to Tomato and Rice soup for the first day of the new year. He is thrilled, however, to have the remains of all the artisan ice cream, so that should disappear quickly and leave some freezer room for lots of BROTH.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

I think grouper may be my very favorite fish. Would be worth moving to the Gulf Coast for.

I have longed to taste it since Pat Conroy's evocative descriptions in "Beach Music". Imagine has to be local and fresh. 

• Like 1

I didn't prepare anything for New Year's Eve.

But today we did have some chuck-eye steaks—nothing fancy!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Well, it's New Year's Day and not New Year's Eve, but....

I really didn't especially feel in the mood for black-eyed peas and greens, particularly as there is a refrigerator plumb full of all kinds of leftovers, but I also did not want to offend the Gods of New Year's Good Luck. So, I have peas and greens simmering in a couple of Dutch ovens on the stove as we speak. I did have to do without my latkes and mimosas today, as I was engaged in collecting the small people's stuff from all over the house today, loading it in my car, and delivering them to the other grandparents. But there are a few days left before the work year resumes in earnest, so I'll perhaps get to them tomorrow or Saturday.

How does everyone prefer their black-eyed peas? Over the years, I've settled on sort of a bastardized cassoulet -- dry peas parboiled while I saute some onion and garlic, brown some sliced smoked sausage or kielbasa, dump in a can of diced tomatoes and then add the peas and liquid. I'll check in an hour or so for seasoning and add whatever it needs.

Mustard greens (I don't like 'em, but I can at least choke down a bite or two of mustard greens as opposed to turnip greens or kale) get cooked with bacon grease, salt and pepper, low and slow after they come to a boil. Because that's the way Mama did it, and I know no other way.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'll show mine later.  I did both my black eyed peas and my collards (my green of choice) in the IP.  I'd done the collards before, but not the peas.  They are wonderful - creamy and tender, but not complete mush.  Ham is in the oven as are the scalloped tomatoes.  I did cornbread waffles this year and they will get toasted in the CSO just before we eat.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Second time making this grouper piccata  dish.   So easy and the lemon butter sauce with capers really works well with the meaty grouper.

That looks so delicious! Could you please give a more detailed Rx?

On 1/1/2020 at 6:26 PM, TdeV said:

That looks so delicious! Could you please give a more detailed Rx?

Grouper fillet cut in portions.  Lightly dusted with Wondra and salt.  Seared in a hot pan with plenty of butter using Eric Ruppert’s method of a thin metal probe, aka paper clip, to the lips to tell if it was warm enough  in the middle.  Then finished  with lots of butter, fresh lemon juice and capers to make a sauce 

Edited by scubadoo97
Added ingredient. Lemon juices (log)

On 12/31/2019 at 12:07 PM, Smithy said:

I had planned shrimp ceviche for New Year's Eve, with special crackers or bread and maybe some wine. However, it's supposed to be cool tonight, and I think of ceviche as more of a warm-weather dish. Instead I'm leaning toward bean soup with smoked pork hocks and some blue corn jalapeno cornbread from a mix I bought on a whim last spring. It will all help heat the kitchen...and get one of my impulse buys out of the cupboard! 

I was wrong about the cornbread mix using blue corn, but I did indeed cook up a batch of Hambeans Soup, with smoked pork hocks that have been taking up refrigerator space in a sealed bag since last September, and the cornbread mix.  Somehow - perhaps it was the wine - I didn't get pictures of anything served, but here are the elements:

20200101_082105.jpg

(Bean soup is not especially photogenic without garnishes, is it?)

20200102_115339.jpg

We've been eating on the leftovers since NYE. The cornbread was an impulse buy last spring, in Tucson, and is part of a desultory exploration of cornbread that began over 2 years ago. This stuff is very, very crumbly. It's pretty good, but I don't think I'd bother with it again. I think I'd prefer something with a bit more cohesion.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown