• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve: What are You Eating or Serving?

sarah w

I am making homemade American-style Chinese food.  My nephew loves this style of food but cannot usually have it since he has an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans and the restaurants serving this style of food  just cannot accommodate that.  I let him pick the menu: sesame soy chicken wings, chicken and vegetable potstickers, crabless rangoons (the filling is just cream cheese, sriracha and scallions), General Tso's chicken, fried rice, scallion pancakes. He wanted egg rolls too but I could not find the right kind of wrappers.  Champagne for the grownups is already chilling. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

I can't believe it's already here!  It's our 20 year wedding anniversary on NYE.  We had such a fun wedding up in the mountains.  We set off fireworks at midnight.  Couldn't get away with doing that nowadays!   I don't have anything set in stone....Mom and stepdad gave us some oysters and some lump crab meat that I'm eyeing.....I think I have one last bit of foie gras in the freezer.....so something using those things.  Champagne is on the porch already cold :) --also some interesting wine.

I have a chicken brining for New Year's Day. I'm going to fry that up. I froze some collard greens from the garden and have black eyed peas from RG.  Might make Texas caviar with those, or maybe not.  Mashed taters and gravy of course.

@liamsaunt's Chinese sounds divine.  Maybe I'll do something like that tonight!

• Like 8

Company is coming for both.

New Year's Eve

Smoked oysters on crackers

wine = Crémant

Wild boar tenderloin, miso-orange marinade

Leeks in white wine and butter

Browned Brussels sprouts

Roasted potatoes

wine = Brunello

Almond-orange honey cake

Chocolate tahini

Silan

Dessert wine = Alvear PX

New Year's Day

Salad w/vinaigrette: Boston lettuce, Asian pear, toasted pecans, gorgonzola

Hoppin' John (Rancho Gordo black-eyed peas!)

Organic jasmine rice

Cornbread

Almond-orange honey cake

Chocolate tahini

Silan

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My NYE plans involve little people, ages 8, 7 and 7. I think I will make the aforementioned pot pie for dinner tomorrow night. NY Day, little people or not, there will be mimosas and latkes for breakfast, and a blackeyed pea cassoulet for later in the day, both of which I'll likely eat by myself, but that's OK. 

We have assorted snacks that are of the suitable-for-kiddos variety. I will celebrate a more proper NY holiday a day or two into it, when I have delivered urchins to the other grandmother.

Meanwhile, my kids are on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.

There are occasions when life is not real fair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We were thinking seafood - clams and crab and spiny lobster. I'll call Quality  http://qualityseafood.com/  in the morning. Accompanied by several different bitter green salads and fresh bread. Preferred dip sauce is Nước Chấm. If no rain then marshmallows roasted over the fire pit as we endure overly done fireworks in the distance. 

• Like 1

New Year's eve, no idea what or if I'm doing. New Year's day will be pork, greens, black eyed peas and corn bread in forms I can munch throughout the day while watching the Citrus, Rose and Sugar bowl games. It took me 5 days to eat the leftovers from Christmas dinner, I'm not doing another big dinner. I already pickled some collard greens with pearl onions and hot peppers. I'm making a salad tomorrow with the black eyed peas, the ol' "cowboy caviar" style. For the corn bread, I'm breaking out the cake pop baker. I'm gonna load the cavities with corn bread batter with a frozen ball of pimento cheese in the middle and bake them as needed. I'm still deciding what I want to do with pork. There will be the already mentioned pimento cheese in it's more natural state as well and I made some hot chow chow just because it's always been a part of the more traditional version of the New Year's meal for me. And I'm using a lot more sense with the quantities than I did at Christmas so I don't have to eat this stuff until I temporarily hate it. :D 

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, catdaddy said:

I was thinking the chocolate tahini sounded interesting.

From these folks

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 hours ago, heidih said:

@Alex All sounds good but my mind is buzzing with miso + orange - to be explored  My access to both is good.

This marinade. It was great with duck, so I figured, why not boar?

I need to decide.  Our usual beach weekend with my cousins has been canceled so new plans this year.  Have  friends over for dinner.   Will be more reserved as they are not the party types.   

I am planning on picking up some grouper at the fish market and making a grouper piccata.   I did it once before on a whim and really liked it 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, kayb said:

My NYE plans involve little people, ages 8, 7 and 7. I think I will make the aforementioned pot pie for dinner tomorrow night. NY Day, little people or not, there will be mimosas and latkes for breakfast, and a blackeyed pea cassoulet for later in the day, both of which I'll likely eat by myself, but that's OK. 

We have assorted snacks that are of the suitable-for-kiddos variety. I will celebrate a more proper NY holiday a day or two into it, when I have delivered urchins to the other grandmother.

Meanwhile, my kids are on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.

There are occasions when life is not real fair.

Similar scenario here, where we're taking a pair of lively grandkids (girl 4, boy 1 1/2) so the parents can have a date night. Our celebratory meal, after they're in bed, will be fish tacos as GF will be keto-ing again starting tomorrow.

Our previous plan was to see Rise of Skywalker today.

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Have to work today so will be at dinner party event in the evening but will be making after -dinner dessert. 

Apples and pears poached in a little bit of sugar and water  

Once the sugar water reduces and poaches the fruit, it turns to caramel 

Splash of eau-de-vie and cream (to reduce heat and stop the caramel from burning)  

I know it's easy to err by burning the caramel but I wonder, since the fruit is sitting on top of the caramel, and there is always liquid water in the fruit, shouldn't this protect the caramel from reaching too high of a temperature and burning? 

Will find out tonight. 

• Like 4

One holdover from living in New Mexico for three years is that Posole became our traditional New Years Eve dinner. I make it from dried posole which can be hit or miss to find now that I don’t live in NM. However I'd made posole earlier this year and had bought enough for two batches. Then I panicked yesterday when I realized that my old stash of dried red Hatch Chile had been tossed out when I purged for our  move last spring and I never restocked. We were in San Diego visiting family,  so I detoured by a supermarket thinking we might have better luck there than in the PNW. Sure enough, Vons delivered a 3 oz jar of Melissa’s hot Hatch red and one of green for good measure. (I’ll use it for other things.) Got home last night so soon the posole will be in the crockpot and tonight I’ll make cornbread sticks using my grandmother’s cast iron pan and the sizzling cornbread recipe from the Dairy Hollow House cookbook.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

One holdover from living in New Mexico for three years is that Posole became our traditional New Years Eve dinner. I make it from dried posole which can be hit or miss to find now that I don’t live in NM. However I'd made posole earlier this year and had bought enough for two batches. Then I panicked yesterday when I realized that my old stash of dried red Hatch Chile had been tossed out when I purged for our  move last spring and I never restocked. We were in San Diego visiting family,  so I detoured by a supermarket thinking we might have better luck there than in the PNW. Sure enough, Vons delivered a 3 oz jar of Melissa’s hot Hatch red and one of green for good measure. (I’ll use it for other things.) Got home last night so soon the posole will be in the crockpot and tonight I’ll make cornbread sticks using my grandmother’s cast iron pan and the sizzling cornbread recipe from the Dairy Hollow House cookbook.

I too lived in NM for many years and got used to great bowls of posole. Especially that made by my best friend's father, a native of Santa Fe. I suggest you order the pozole from Rancho Gordo. It always seems very fresh and tasty to me. And if you are not familiar with that operation, check out the beans and other interesting items for sale. 

• Like 5

I had planned shrimp ceviche for New Year's Eve, with special crackers or bread and maybe some wine. However, it's supposed to be cool tonight, and I think of ceviche as more of a warm-weather dish. Instead I'm leaning toward bean soup with smoked pork hocks and some blue corn jalapeno cornbread from a mix I bought on a whim last spring. It will all help heat the kitchen...and get one of my impulse buys out of the cupboard! 

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I too lived in NM for many years and got used to great bowls of posole. Especially that made by my best friend's father, a native of Santa Fe. I suggest you order the pozole from Rancho Gordo. It always seems very fresh and tasty to me. And if you are not familiar with that operation, check out the beans and other interesting items for sale. 

Good idea, except it's sold out at the moment.

• Sad 1

If you go back and look at what I posted on 1/2/2018, that is exactly what I expect to be eating in a few hours.  We have done the same thing for the past 30+ years - with a few missed years.  We go to the same friends house and eat junky 1970's party food and play cards.  We sip a little champagne at midnight, put the food away and come home.  We started back then because we were all broke and had little kids that we couldn't find babysitters for.  Then we discovered we preferred it to anything else!  The only change is that those babies do a lot of the cooking now.  One of them called me the other night for the "recipe" for that Velveeta dip.  The jam/BBQ sauce is in the Crock Pot right now.  Happy New Year to you all!  

• Like 7