• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve: What are You Eating or Serving?

sarah w

I'm trying something new this year. New Year's Eve will also be our 8th wedding anniversary, so I wanted something special.

I ordered monk fish! It will arrive tomorrow from Pike's Place Market in Seattle. I've never had it, but have read that it tastes like lobster. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to make it. Unless I run across something better, I think I'll just lightly saute in some butter and parsley.

I also ordered some Kumamoto (sp) oysters. We LOVE those.

New Year's Day will definitely include black eyed peas for good luck. Probably some corn bread, greens and maybe either ham or fresh quail (hubby shot some yesterday)

Oeufs au caviar, roasted tomato soup with gougeres, polenta with wild mushroom ragout, and Jean-Georges' molten chocolate cake. We're going veggie - we have someone coming who keeps kosher (Salmon roe is dairy kosher, apparently!), so vegetarian is just the easiest route. Also doing some cocktail finger food, simple stuff, crudites, parmesan-onion toasts, stuff like that. Pretty low-key!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

for the last 24 years of our 25 year marriage New Years Eve has been our christmas celebration followed by a day out in the field birding.

to get us through opening presents and stockings: various cheeses and crackers

dinner will be a 2 bone rib roast, green beans with garlic and either roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes or a cheddar, chive and poatato gratin or both. this is the first time i have ever done a bone in roast - even at the restaurants i did pretty much everything but this. should be an adventure.

johnnybird has his truffles for dessert. i'll have a bottle of champagne.

the next day we will have turkey noodle vegetable soup made with the remains of the christmas bird when we get back home along with some homemade bread.

Bekki - that sounds like a truly cool party!

zoe - do you have a problem getting your eggs to hardboil since they are so fresh?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We're going to a friend's house, but her whole family is down with a cold, so I'm "catering". Our whole crew, for some reason, got on a 70's kick, recently, bringing back phrases, watching movies, one guy is even growing his 'fro out, etc. (We're a strange bunch, now that I analyze it.)

So, in keeping with our whole theme, we're doing retro nibbles, including deviled eggs, baby meatballs in a sweet-sour sauce, lil pigs in blankets, finger sandwiches, mini broccoli and cheese quiches, chex mix and some stuff other people are bringing. We even have a list of 70's-ish cocktails, and the pink champagne will be flowing in abundance!

Edit: And chocolate fondue for dessert, what 70's food party would be complete without fondue?

Edited by Lilija (log)

Were doing a surf and turf at a friends house. They are providing the live lobsters and filets and the rest of us are providing the appetizers, sides and desserts. So far we have:

oysters Rockefeller

spicy Thai mussels in curried coconut broth

grilled lobster and filet mignons

potato, leek and gruyere gratin

baby mixed greens salad with pomegranates, spiced pecans and sherry vinaigrette

bread pudding with bourbon cream sauce

We're going to a friend's house, but her whole family is down with a cold, so I'm "catering".  Our whole crew, for some reason, got on a 70's kick, recently, bringing back phrases, watching movies, one guy is even growing his 'fro out, etc.  (We're a strange bunch, now that I analyze it.)

So, in keeping with our whole theme, we're doing retro nibbles, including deviled eggs, baby meatballs in a sweet-sour sauce, lil pigs in blankets, finger sandwiches, mini broccoli and cheese quiches, chex mix and some stuff other people are bringing.  We even have a list of 70's-ish cocktails, and the pink champagne will be flowing in abundance!

Edit:  And chocolate fondue for dessert, what 70's food party would be complete without fondue?

I hope there will be plenty of meats on sticks :biggrin:

We're going to a friend's house, but her whole family is down with a cold, so I'm "catering".  Our whole crew, for some reason, got on a 70's kick, recently, bringing back phrases, watching movies, one guy is even growing his 'fro out, etc.  (We're a strange bunch, now that I analyze it.)

So, in keeping with our whole theme, we're doing retro nibbles, including deviled eggs, baby meatballs in a sweet-sour sauce, lil pigs in blankets, finger sandwiches, mini broccoli and cheese quiches, chex mix and some stuff other people are bringing.  We even have a list of 70's-ish cocktails, and the pink champagne will be flowing in abundance!

Edit:  And chocolate fondue for dessert, what 70's food party would be complete without fondue?

Meats! On sticks! Total inspiration. Hmm... Rumaki? Is that what those chicken liver-bacon dealies are called? I might have to go to the store today.

Man, I just realized that my party sounds so low brow, compared to all the lobster, caviar, and steak... Maybe next year we'll dress it up a little. A few years ago our theme was medieval, that was pretty weird, too. We've had Caribbean parties, and themes that revolved around one color. I really really like BekkiM's idea, too.

Har! Ye needs to have a pirate theme!

Hahaha, that is the best idea yet! We ARE a buncha pirates, though, so even our non-themed parties wind up that way. I think it that might be our official first-barbecue of the season, though.

Sorry for jacking this thread...

Back on topic: I think someone's bringing clam dip, and stuffed celery! Woohoo!

Meats! On sticks! Total inspiration. Hmm... Rumaki? Is that what those chicken liver-bacon dealies are called? I might have to go to the store today.

Man, I just realized that my party sounds so low brow, compared to all the lobster, caviar, and steak... Maybe next year we'll dress it up a little. A few years ago our theme was medieval, that was pretty weird, too. We've had Caribbean parties, and themes that revolved around one color. I really really like BekkiM's idea, too.

Your party DOES NOT sound "low brow" at ALL!! It sounds like a blast!!

And, yeah, Rumaki!!!

*chanting* meats on sticks meats on sticks meats on sticks

no, it's a fun theme--I've done 50s food and everyone loves it!

yes definitely do rumaki--it is delicious.

suzilightening

do you have a problem getting your eggs to hardboil since they are so fresh?

eek, I forgot about that--and we've been going through eggs so fast I don't have an oldish dozen--oh well, they won't be pretty, but they'll be good.

and someone just dropped off some Maryland oysters here so we'll add them to the menu.

and Kate, I wouldn't even care about the surf & turf--your starters sound stupendous! As much as I love oysters Rockefeller I never manage to do anything but eat em raw--did fry some last summer and that was wonderful. I've made Shrimp Rockefeller and I like that a lot--I think it's from Bon Appetit a long time ago.

I like the idea of a New Year's appy party. We've done it before and doing it again. Low key with a few friends, everyone brings a dish so there's not a lot of work for one person. So far: scallops wrapped in bacon with spicy cocktail sauce, sausage stuffed mushrooms, hot wings, smoked oysters and the usual cheese plate and garlic sausage with a variety of crackers. Maybe a Greek salad. Chicken satay with peanut sauce might be nice....

Love you guys' theme parties, very creative!

We are so sick of hunks of meat and "Midwestern" type food that my kids and husband are begging for Asian tonight. It will just be the five of us; the teen is having some friends over later in the evening. I just hope I can stay awake until everyone is gone!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Just one couple joining us, so I'm making a beef tenderloin with some chimichurri on the side, roasted potatoes, broccoli w/ cheese sauce, and steamed green beans. A bunch of cheese & such for nibbles as well as some frozen hot things that looked good at TJs. More TJs options for dessert. My friends are sleeping over, so more wine than I think we can get through.

I almost never host dinner, so I'm nervous as anything. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Last night, instead of having the 5 people I had expected, we had 2 through the first part of the evening, and then two more came by for a couple hours. We had four cheeses: Fourme d'Ambert (a really nice blue), Cotswold, Moliterno with black truffles, and Midnight Moon goat cheese (a semi-hard, goaty cheese), along with some good Fra Mani salametto salami I happened to find, with baguette slices.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

We had a deep-fry fest using a tempura batter fortified with lots of toasted sesame seeds. There were prawns (I saved the shells for a future stock), chicken strips, button mushrooms, onion rings, carrot coins, tofu, garlic cloves, green onions and even a few red radishes fer kicks. Listening to Sinatra a bit too loud (hey, I'm a rural girl) I loaded up a dozen or so bamboo skewers with the tasty bits, fried 'em and had two dipping sauces- a garlicky-gingery peanut sauce (with nuoc mam..my husband will never know! :raz:) and a very simple cocktail sauce (ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice and pinches of sugar and salt). Also, tons of *super* juicy lemon chunks with salt- maybe my favorite condiment of the evening.

THEN, said spouse broke into the masa flour and all manner of delicious hell broke loose! And with my third glass of Chivas...the evening was fini.

It's later in the same day (!) and the house smells of an abandoned fryolator with a top note of cheap sparkling wine and liquor...waitaminute, that's ME!!

Happy New Yearzz! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Our NYE midnight breakfast turned out to be the perfect thing for our group. Many people had to work earlier that day, so we didn't get started til about 9 pm. Started out with some champagne cocktails (apricot nectar, ginger syrup and cava or OJ and Asti), mixed drinks, Strongbow hard cider, beer (and beer and beer and beer) and some nibbles - dark chocolate truffles with candied ginger, M&M's, crudites and some mango.

We played Guitar Hero for a couple of hours (well, mostly the boys did :wink: ) and started cooking dinner around 11:00. My best friend Brandy made some great quiches - they were not too hard, only 4 eggs each, lots of cheese and half-and-half, very custardy - and a hash brown casserole (more cheese!!!). I brought some orange, caramelly cinnamon rolls that i baked right before we ate. Our friend Kirk made some homemade doughnuts (cinnamon coated or with chocolate icing). Marlene and Matt made Bisquik pancakes with bluberries, strawberries or chocolate chunks. Somebody (I'm not sure who) brought some cheese-filled smoked sausages.

I have a feeling that there was something else on the table that we ate, but with the help of a few more champagne cocktails, we decided that it would be brilliant to do countdowns for every time zone in America. Blargh. I was very happy that I was not hungover this morning as we rose at 9:00 to root on our Missouri Tigers in the Cotton Bowl!

I'm working now, so black eyed peas are going to have to wait for this weekend. I hope you all have a great 2008!!!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Ok, so I am a little late responding to this as the holidays were wonderfully full and hectic, but here is my contribution.

We had a total of eight people for dinner on NYE, including some out of town houseguests and my two children (ages 10 and 12, gourmands in their own right). We had a formal 6 course dinner.

Shrimp cocktail ( the cocktail sauce was a "doctored up" Crosse and Blackwell. I added some fresh grated horseradish from my garden, lemon juice and a little Worcestershire sauce)

Poached garlic soup with shredded parmesan, chopped parsley (from the garden), and shaved black truffle garnish with poached garlic butter toasted croissants

Salad of baby arugula, tango and romaine with Roquefort vinaigrette and grape tomatoes

Lavender sorbet (lavender, too, from my garden..harvested last spring and dried)

Angus choice standing rib roast: 12.5 lbs, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper crusted, seared stovetop and slow roasted to medium rare perfection in a slow oven. Like buttah, I tell you!)Accompanied by loaded twice baked potatoes and sauteed green beans.

Mocha mousse with Tia Maria sauce

Dinner was fabulous, the company was even better and it was the best New Year's Eve we have had in a long time..

Cheers and all the best to all of you for gastonomic delights and prosperity in 2008.

Berta

Responding after the fact...

We got together with our neighbors for a Slovenia-themed dinner. Yep, Slovenia, the culinary mecca of the world. Well, my ancestors came from there as did the female's from next door.

We started with a caviar platter. Not Slovenian, but definitely NYE. Caviar and all the other stuff that goes with it -- chopped shallot, creme fraiche, chopped hard-boiled egg, lemon zest.

Next was a soup that was chicken broth, egg (almost ended up egg drop like), parmesan, and parsley.

Steaks with gorgonzola sauce (yes, it's Slovenian) served with dumplings stuffed with herbed cottage cheese were the main course.

Lake Bled cream cake and walnut potica for dessert.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Responding after the fact...

We got together with our neighbors for a Slovenia-themed dinner.  Yep, Slovenia, the culinary mecca of the world.  Well, my ancestors came from there as did the female's from next door.

We started with a caviar platter.  Not Slovenian, but definitely NYE.  Caviar and all the other stuff that goes with it -- chopped shallot, creme fraiche, chopped hard-boiled egg, lemon zest.

Next was a soup that was chicken broth, egg (almost ended up egg drop like), parmesan, and parsley.

Steaks with gorgonzola sauce (yes, it's Slovenian) served with dumplings stuffed with herbed cottage cheese were the main course.

Lake Bled cream cake and walnut potica for dessert.

What? No spit-roasted piggy? During Folklorama (festival celebrating multi-culturalism in Winnipeg), we always visit the Slovenian Pavilion just for the roast pig (they do one every night!).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

What?  No spit-roasted piggy?  During Folklorama (festival celebrating multi-culturalism in Winnipeg), we always visit the Slovenian Pavilion just for the roast pig (they do one every night!).

Not when it's below zero in Minnesota, and there's no indoor rotisserie.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

We hosted a party at our place for 12 guests, and prepared a variety of fingerfood and appetizers and desserts, including salmon roe and onion appetizers (photo below); two types of salami fingerfood; Estonian rye bread toasts with butter, pickled Baltic herring, chopped green onions and grated boiled egg; bouchons au thon; Russian Vinaigrette Salad and Coleslaw; canapés of black pudding, lingonberry jelly and roast potato; cheese plate; gingerbread tiramisu; pears poached in mulled wine; coconut and plain meringues; rosettes; gingerbread baskets with lingonberry cream.

gallery_43137_2974_18653.jpg

All photos and recipe links here.