• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve: What are You Eating or Serving?

sarah w

Gordon - Interesting...maybe I will try both methods...we'll see...

Tammy - Sounds like a good dinner...only problem is my GF is allergic to shell fish, otherwise (and I still may even still) I would get a few types of shellfish for the menu, like scallops, possibly prawns. Do you debone the quail? What type of cheeses?

Regarding your dinner guest, and the appreciation for beets...why not some oven roasted beet segments with garlic and thyme and a hint of rosemary, served on top of some crunchy grilled bread...you could also puree and make a paste, put in squid?

Jim, that sounds really good too...wish my GF could eat lobster! argH!

More menu tweaking to come.

Have a safe holidays/new years.

Tammy - Sounds like a good dinner...only problem is my GF is allergic to shell fish, otherwise (and I still may even still) I would get a few types of shellfish for the menu, like scallops, possibly prawns.  Do you debone the quail? What type of cheeses?

Regarding your dinner guest, and the appreciation for beets...why not some oven roasted beet segments with garlic and thyme and a hint of rosemary, served on top of some crunchy grilled bread...you could also puree and make a paste, put in squid?

I'm buying sleeve-boned quail to stuff. I'm lucky to have a GREAT butcher to work with, who can get me all kinds of cool stuff.

Not sure what cheeses I'll be serving. I have most of a round of Green Hill (a soft cow's milk cheese from Sweet Grass Dairy in Georgia) in the fridge right now. If I think that will make it to Sunday, then I'll probably get a couple more soft cheeses for that course. I'm also blessed to have a couple of great cheese counters nearby.

Non-scallop eating dinner guest probably wouldn't much like squid either.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'm looking for some plating advice. As described above, I'm planning to serve some mushroom stuffed quail. The quail I'm buying are sleeve boned, which means they'll be intact when I serve them. My current plan for an accompaniment is mushroom risotto - I'll be rehydrating some dried porcini for the stuffing, so I figure that will give me some nice mushroom broth for the risotto. But I'm worried that it's an awful lot of brown on the plate - brown risotto, brown quail, maybe a nice seared mushroom garnish. Oh, and some haricots vert, so it won't be completely monochrome. I'm thinking about making a sauce with some red wine and demiglace and whatever drippings I get from the quail.

Any ideas? I'm totally willing to swap out the risotto for something better if anyone has a good suggestion. And I'd also love to hear suggestions for the actual plating. I only have round plates to work with for this course. I was thinking of doing the risotto in a ring mold or inverted mold, and resting the single quail against that. Drizzle some sauce and maybe some truffle oil, do something with the haricots?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy, I will be the first to admit that out of all that goes in to creating a great meal, plating is my weakest area of 'expertise' so I will not attempt to give any advice as I do not wish to mislead you ;)

As well, I have come up with the second 'draft' for my menu...I will have to post this in the wine forum as well, as I do require suggestions for pairings with each course...

Here is where I am at this far...

Tomato Water w/caramalized corn/onion 'fritter'

Tuna Sashimi 2 ways

Mushroom Ravioli with sage butter sauce

Scallops on a double smoked bacon plate w/balsamic reduction drizzled

Orange/Grapefruit/Rum sorbet

Artichoke Risotto (not sure if we will actually have this course...this one is still up in the air)

Steak 2 ways - Pan seared and BBQ'd with a Barolo reduction sauce and roasted beets.

Bok Choy (I like using this as a palate cleanser, as well, a good way to get some veg in)

Cheeses - Brie, Unpasturized Goat, Petite Basque

Dessert - WIll have 2-3 options, warm lindt choc for sure though.

edit 482 views and only 11 replies??? Come on now, I thought there would be a wealth of responses from this group of people!

Edited by sadistick (log)

Hi Folks,

Following up a thread I have in the cooking forums, I come to you all now seeking advice for wine pairings for the courses for our new years dinner.

Here is the dinner thus far - I have a few ideas for wines, please add suggestions!

Tomato Water w/caramalized corn/onion 'fritter'

-Was thinking maybe a Prosecco?

Tuna Sashimi 2 ways

Mushroom Ravioli with sage butter sauce

-Pinot - I have a '92 Joseph Phelps "Mistral" - Not sure how that is drinking ATM.

Scallops on a double smoked bacon plate w/balsamic reduction drizzled

Orange/Grapefruit/Rum sorbet

Artichoke Risotto (not sure if we will actually have this course...this one is still up in the air)

Steak 2 ways - Pan seared and BBQ'd with a Barolo reduction sauce and roasted beets.

- Either a nice Cab or maybe a Barolo?

Bok Choy (I like using this as a palate cleanser, as well, a good way to get some veg in)

Cheeses - Brie, Unpasturized Goat, Petite Basque

Dessert - WIll have 2-3 options, warm lindt choc for sure though.

I appreciate all help in this matter!

One person's opinon (I've changed the order of some course). . .

Fritter - Prosecco is fine

Tuna sashimi - Rose bubbly

Scallops - Savennieres

Artichoke Risotto - any white, doesn't matter (artichoke is a wine nightmare)

Sorbet - nothing

Mushroom Ravioli - Pinot Noir is fine

Steak - Cab is fine, or Cab-based SuperTuscan

Bok Choy - nothing

Cheeses - free for all of what is still hanging around

Dessert - Moscato (it will go well enough with chocolate, and will go with fruit)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Seems silly to start another thread with the same title, so while you're making suggestions on that first menu, care to chime in on this one?

Seared scallop with leek and golden trout caviar (Jaillance Cremant de Bordeaux)

Butternut squash ravioli with rosemary oil (??)

Mushroom stuffed quail with risotto and haricot verts (Rhone? Burgundy?)

Cheese (leftover red - any cheeses to choose or avoid based on red choice?)

Caramel-hazelnut-chocolate tart (no wine - coffee/espresso and/or Frangelico)

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Sadistick, I hope your New Year's dinner went off without a hitch. Can't wait to hear the report!

Mine turned out great. The only problem was that my cursed stove decided to crap out on me just as I was preheating it for the quail. The stovetop still worked, but the oven didn't. (It's a Jenn-Aire with a computerized control panel, and it's a total lemon that Maytag won't replace. But I digress.) Fortunately, I live in cohousing, so I was able to run over to the common house and cook the quail there.

Scallops with leeks, trout roe caviar and champagne cream sauce

Wine: Jaillance Cremant de Bordeaux Cuvee de L'Abbaye Brut

gallery_7436_3666_11245.jpg

Non-scallop alternative for Sue

gallery_7436_3666_36874.jpg

Butternut squash ravioli with rosemary oil

Wine: Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Dry Riesling

gallery_7436_3666_40479.jpg

Mushroom stuffed quail with risotto, haricots verts, black poplar mushroom garnish

gallery_7436_3666_11968.jpg

Wine: 2001 Colognole Chianti Rufina

I forgot to photograph the cheese board. We had three Italian cheeses - a Pecorino Tuscano (sheep), Maccagno (cow), Robiola Fia (goat) - and a loaf of no-knead bread, which we used for sopping up sauces in the earlier courses as well.

Caramel-hazelnut-chocolate tart with creme fraiche whipped cream

%7Boption%7Dhttp://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1167651337/gallery_7436_3666_32627.jpg%7Boption%7D

The kids (ages 8, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, and 8 months) were pretty good about letting us eat in relative peace. (They had hotdogs, macaroni and cheese, and peas as their dinner.) The house is an absolute wreck this morning though - toys strewn everywhere!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy - what a wonderful New Year spread. Thank you for sharing your feast with us. My favorite is the Scallops with leeks, trout roe caviar and champagne cream sauce. I can almost taste it and feel the texture in my mouth. Happy New Year!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Tammy - what a wonderful New Year spread. Thank you for sharing your feast with us. My favorite is the Scallops with leeks, trout roe caviar and champagne cream sauce. I can almost taste it and feel the texture in my mouth. Happy New Year!

Thanks. It certainly was tasty. The recipe is here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1234/

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

• 11 months later...

First off, a warm any happy holidays and new years to everyone here in my favourite cooking forum! Haven't been around as much lately...but I still lurk from time to time :)

Anyhow, for the past 2 years I have tired of the typical party scene during new years...you know, paying $70 to get in to a bar/club, then wading through hundreds of people you don't even know, to finally saying screw it, trying to find a cab to get home, with no luck waiting for 30 minutes in freezing temps...no thank you!

So we have been having some friends and family over for the past few years and I do some sort of fun and exciting tasting menu.

I was wondering how many of you do something similar, and if so...heres the place to share your ideas, help plan, etc.

So far, I am thinking of starting out with house cured Gravlax with a dill/caper sauce..

One course will be seared steak with some sort of reduction...

May do my wild mushroom and white truffle ravioli...we shall see...

One thing to note, the GF is allergic to shellfish (which sucks!) so I may just make one course, possibly scallops, as I love scallops! maybe with some smoked bacon and a balsamic/fig reduction...not sure

So do feel free to share your ideas/plans!

Let the Brainstorming begin!

First off, a warm any happy holidays and new years to everyone here in my favourite cooking forum!  Haven't been around as much lately...but I still lurk from time to time :)

Anyhow, for the past 2 years I have tired of the typical party scene during new years...you know, paying $70 to get in to a bar/club, then wading through hundreds of people you don't even know, to finally saying screw it, trying to find a cab to get home, with no luck waiting for 30 minutes in freezing temps...no thank you!

So we have been having some friends and family over for the past few years and I do some sort of fun and exciting tasting menu.

I was wondering how many of you do something similar, and if so...heres the place to share your ideas, help plan, etc.

So far, I am thinking of starting out with house cured Gravlax with a dill/caper sauce..

One course will be seared steak with some sort of reduction...

May do my wild mushroom and white truffle ravioli...we shall see...

One thing to note, the GF is allergic to shellfish (which sucks!) so I may just make one course, possibly scallops, as I love scallops!  maybe with some smoked bacon and a balsamic/fig reduction...not sure

So do feel free to share your ideas/plans!

Let the Brainstorming begin!

I've had a crew of 16-20 people here for New Years eve for the last 8 years and I cook a feast. The challenge is that there are a couple of people who are allergic to dairy, one that is allergic to wheat and one vegan as well as someone who doesn't eat sugar! I usually end up making a million separate things so everyone can eat.

This year, the vegan can't make it so while I'll miss my friend, I'm excited to cook primarily one meal! I'm thinking about wild Alaskan salmon Wellington for the main course. (One piece of salmon prepared w/out puff pastry for the non-wheat person.) I'll use spinach in place of mushroom duxelle and serve w/ dilled hollandaise. To go with I'm thinking about a salad with baby greens, dried cranberries, candied nuts, crumbled Gorgonzola and a light lemon viniagrette. Maybe glazed carrots and wild rice. Not sure.

Apps will be simple...eggplant caponata, some good cheese, chicken liver pate, assorted crackers, spiced nuts, and shrimp cocktail. Dessert is still undecided. Definitely fresh fruit for the non-sugar person. I'll probably make ice-cream (I've been experimenting with poppyseed ice-cream but I'm not quit there with the recipe yet) and will continue to be looking at what others are making for inspiration.

Well that sure sounds like a nice assortment you've got going on there...

Doing any special cocktails as well?

I was thinking to maybe cut down the number of courses in the tasting menu and do lots of apps - as to not have to be behind the counter cooking all night, but I kind of like that, still undecided.

One thing I will have for apps, are smoked oysters...just love those guys!

Cmon people, 60+ views and 1 reply! I expect more from my fellow 'Gulleteers!!

I was thinking to maybe cut down the number of courses in the tasting menu and do lots of apps - as to not have to be behind the counter cooking all night, but I kind of like that, still undecided.

To be honest, I'm just trying to get through xmas brunch for 12 and dinner for 16, so I haven't given a whole lot of thought to New Year's.

We usually keep it small and traditional. Perhaps it would be fun to add some modern twists or deconstructed dishes (if you are into that kind of thing) to your menu based on traditional New Year's fare. In my region, these foods would include items such as black-eyed peas, ham, collard greens, etc. However, you could do multiple courses with products that are traditional in other regions or parts of the world. IOW, the theme could be "New Year's Meals Around the World" and each course would feature a different region/culture. The common denominator is that each one is intended to bring good luck for the New Year.

Just a thought - but hey, you asked for input! :smile:

Not a New Years Dinner (my husband is working), but on Boxing Day I am cooking for our respective parents, menu will be very traditionally English

Some hot appetisers with a glass or 3 of champagne

Potted Shrimps or Roasted Parsnip Soup

Trio of Christmas Sorbets - champagne & lime, mulled wine, clementine

Roast Wing Rib of Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Horseradish Gravy, roast potatoes, brussels, carrots and roasted beetroot

Cheeses (from our latest french foray) wtih homemade fig jelly, homemade caramelised pears in apple jelly, homemade walnut bread

Dessert Buffet of mignardises and buche de noel and some fresh fruits

Edited by Fibilou (log)

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Our crew aren't big drinkers. There will be some lovely bottles of wine but no fancy cocktails.

I'm only cooking a Christmas meal for my husband and myself (duck breast with dried cherry sauce) because the kids are off with their partners this year) so I have the luxury to be thinking about New Years. I think lots of gulleters are still focusing on the Christmas feast right now!

kbj - Interesting idea...but sounds like it would be even more work! lol...

Fibi - that meal sounds amazing...actually my GF's sisters BF is from England and is having us all over on x-mas for a proper dinner, sounding quite similar to yours...Will be my first time trying yorkshire puddings, and I cant wait!

Plaf - Wine will be flowing, I have a 95 monticello grand reserva saved for new years that should be awesome...I'm sure many are still focused on x-mas...but I get so excited doing a dinner party I like to really plan in advance...

I am also thinking to do a trio of ravioli, in addition to the wild mushroom/truffle one...start off with a roasted beet ravioli with a brown butter/poppy seed sauce, not sure on the third...

Anyhoo, lookin forward to hearing what everyone else is doing.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm planning a themed dinner for this New Year's Eve: a seven deady sins tasting menu. I've finally (mostly) settled on a menu and now I'm just trying to figure out plating. As an avid home cook, I've got to plan meals that will work with the dishes I've got (or, if I'm going to buy additional pieces, make sure they're something I'll use again)... Unfortunately, through poor planning on my part and a slip of the tongue on a guest's part, I've got more people than I'm really comfortable with (15 instead of 12), so I'm trying to get a jump on planning so that as much as possible can be prepared ahead of time, limiting the fussy last-minute plating tasks that get less and less precise as the evening wears on and the wine flows. :biggrin:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Course plan for my Seven Deadly Sins Tasting Menu:

Greed: Oysters Rockefeller

Anger: Shrimp Diablo served on a nest of squid ink pasta

Sloth: Asparagus soup with Parmesan custards, truffle oil, and diced, pickled beets

Gluttony: Braised pork belly with celery root puree

Envy: Individual Wellingtons (probably half a wellington, since this is a tasting menu), some beef, some salmon, some portabello

Pride: Cheese "Rainbow" (five different cheeses, one red something, one orange something, one yellow something, one green something, and figs with blue cheese)

Lust: Chocolate lava cakes

I have a very creative friend who's offered to help with the dining room--her plan is to drape the room in black (you can buy those vinyl tablecloths in rolls at party supply stores and I did something similar for Halloween last year), then suspend cheap mirrors at odd angles since her thought is that sins are reflective/contemplative... I think it will be cool.

It was suggested elsewhere on this board that I "print" the sins on chocolate shards to identify each one. I'm thinking of doing that and/or stenciling the sins onto homemade crackers with various herbs. I'm having fun with this one.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Sounds like a cool party. Me? It's a holiday and I hate working on holidays. So, it's a repeat of the last 8 years with my wife (a tradtion of sorts) to get Chinese take-out and a couple of slices of cake at a dessert shop and sit on the floor by candlelight while watching a movie or two. Kinda romantic.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Several of my friends are working on the day of NYE, so we're not starting the party til 9 or 10. SInce most will have eaten some dinner before then, I'm thinking of having a midnight breakfast. My plans are for a couple of strate or potato tortillas with rosemary/pancetta/asiago and one with chorizo and chiles or something (So I can make them in advance then stick them in the oven around 11:00). Bagels maybe (if the bakery's open) or some quick breads. Fruit. Cheese. Mimosas. And something else. I haven't decided yet. We'll see how drunk my friends plan on being! :biggrin:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Bek - That menu sounds great, love the whole goth decorating scheme, better take pics!

Octave - Hope theres some vino or nice beverage included in that dinner ;)

Emily - sounds like fun, why not buy some frozen (raw) croissants instead of bagels...the smell of those badboys comin out of the oven...oh boy!

Sounds like a cool party.  Me? It's a holiday and I hate working on holidays.  So, it's a repeat of the last 8 years with my wife (a tradtion of sorts) to get Chinese take-out and a couple of slices of cake at a dessert shop and sit on the floor by candlelight while watching a movie or two.  Kinda romantic.

This has been our Thanksgiving tradition for years. I made the mistake of breaking with tradition this year and cooking a turkey... Way too much work and not nearly as tasty. :biggrin:

so far, I'd love to attend each dinner that you all have described!

Which means, I guess that gluttony is MY Deadly Sin.....

we stay at home--have a few friends over--or sometimes it's just us--drinking champagne and watching old movies.

this year it's going to be a simple menu--

devilled eggs (from our hens) topped with caviar.

either prosciutto or lox --I want prosciutto, the hub lox so we'll fight it out at the store

Bay scallops in snail butter--this recipe from the Times which sounded good to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/dining/2...ing&oref=slogin

a bitter green salad, maybe with a sliced pear or oranges

and dessert--i haven't decided yet--I'm just getting over a miserable cold and last night was the first night that I actually was interested enough in food to take trouble over dinner, so I'm still thinking about dessert.

But a toast to all of you EGulleters, and a happy, well fed, 2008.

Zoe