• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good restaurant for a small group?

smayman

I'm going to dinner with my cousins from San Francisco tomorrow night - there will be 6 of us. I'm looking for a place that won't be so loud that we won't be able to hear each other because we need to do a lot of catching up. Also looking for a place that isn't crazy expensive, but isn't cheap. Mid-range is the word I'm looking for. Cozy with yummy food (and libations).

Any suggestions?

If you could you be more specific, the group will have a much easier time making suggestions. :smile:

What works in terms of location (DC? VA? MD?)?

What types of ethnic foods are of interest?

By mid-range, what would your desired entree price range be (we all have our own definition of "reasonable")?

For that size, a few 'cozy' places 'with yummy food' that come to mind are Pesce, Cashion's, and Lavandou.

Maybe someone can help with suggestions in VA. How about Majestic Cafe? Two years ago I had a good dinner there with a small crowd. I mean, the value was good and it was easy to carry on conversation.

I'm familiar with Bethesda, but it's less cozy there; too many chains now

(Cafe Deluxe, McCormick's, Daily Grille, Mon Ami Gabi, etc.) and lots of luxury SUVs with wreaths on them.

Edited by meaghanfitzgerald (log)

If you could you be more specific, the group will have a much easier time making suggestions. :smile:

What works in terms of location (DC? VA? MD?)?

What types of ethnic foods are of interest?

By mid-range, what would your desired entree price range be (we all have our own definition of "reasonable")?

Sorry! Specifics:

Ethnic Food: Any

Entree Price: $15 to $20

Birtro d'Oc on 10th (haven't been but hear good things)

Second Lavandou

How about Ethipian? Addis Abbaba or, not quite as good but more uscale, Meskerem?

Luigina's near the old convention center

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 3 weeks later...
Where'd you end up, out of curiosity, smayman?

I ended up taking them to Matchbox around 10. It was good for catching up (we got a cozy booth) and their pizza's always good. I love their Fire and Smoke pizza.

Where'd you end up, out of curiosity, smayman?

I ended up taking them to Matchbox around 10. It was good for catching up (we got a cozy booth) and their pizza's always good. I love their Fire and Smoke pizza.

SMayman and I are going to be checking out Poste and DC Coast during restaurant week as well.

We will for sure report back to the group about our experience there, right Sara?

Jennifer