• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Websites

Andy Lynes

OK, I'll mention it:

www.starchefs.com

It seems as if a lot of chefs are interested in promoting their brand as being themselves, not any particular restaurant. Starchefs gives you what restaurant websites usually don't: added value. (I have no affiliation with the site, btw). Recipes, bios, interviews, and Q&A with chefs.

My ideal restaurant website would include research and design information, such as how they chose the name, the font, the menus, the layout etc.

Perhaps a virtual tour of the dining room, and kitchen of course!

Group options: private rooms, catering options if any, chef's tables.

An indication of seasonal options

Perhaps mentions of certain suppliers - is the pork from Niman Ranch? Are the tomatoes local? I'd love to know, and it would definitely influence my decision to dine there.

Sample wine pairings they recommend, good to know in advance, doncha think?

What did I forget?

I have a vested interest, but for a website for those that work in the restaurant industry (and for passionate foodies as well) I suggest www.therestaurantgame.com

It has a huge depth of information on there, but is especially useful for keeping up to date (with daily news) about the UK restaurant scene.

Hope thats of some use, I'm the Marketing Director for the company, so if you have any questions, queries or criticisms then let me know.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

• 3 months later...