• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite sparkler?

TrishCT

Had a change in New Year's plans and cracked open the bottle of Bisol Prosecco Crede di Valdobbiadene Brut. I did not like this one, it had a harsh aftertaste.

Need something good to happen soon so I can open the Billecart (my husband saw the price tag and insists we save it for a special occasion.) :blink:

Had a change in New Year's plans and cracked open the bottle of Bisol Prosecco Crede di Valdobbiadene Brut. I did not like this one, it had a harsh aftertaste.

Need something good to happen soon so I can open the Billecart (my husband saw the price tag and insists we save it for a special occasion.) :blink:

hey, "open that bottle night" is feb 28 this year... :biggrin:

this is the thing dorothy gaither and husband john brecher espouse. get together with friends or just the two of you and open that bottle(s) you've been saving for that sepecial occasion - and may never get opened otherwise!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Had a change in New Year's plans and cracked open the bottle of Bisol Prosecco Crede di Valdobbiadene Brut.  I did not like this one, it had a harsh aftertaste.

Need something good to happen soon so I can open the Billecart (my husband saw the price tag and insists we save it for a special occasion.)  :blink:

this is the thing dorothy gaither and husband john brecher espouse. get together with friends or just the two of you and open that bottle(s) you've been saving for that sepecial occasion - and may never get opened otherwise!

Yes! Gonna tell that old curmudgeon...errr I mean husband, of mine that we SHALL drink the Billecart on that night...and I will make it worth his while... :biggrin: Great idea, Suzi!

Thanks to this thread, we tried the Gruet, Zardetto Prosecco, and Roederer Estate on New Year's Eve. Everyone especially liked the Gruet and Roederer Estate. And it's entertaining to see people react when you tell them where Gruet is made. I'm definitely buying more just to keep around.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'll second Wineaccess.  I use it all the time to find wines eGulleters or other friends recommend.  However, being able to purchase them (or have them shipped) is another matter altogether.

Msk

I keep a few cases at Chelsea Wine Vault (a Wineaccess member) in Chelsea Market and they told me that wine can be shipped into New York to a business (i.e. Chelsea Wine Vault) but not to a home. I have gotten wine from Brentwood and WineBid delivered there as well as wine I sent from California (the wineries are reluctant to ship, but independent shippers are less so.)

Oh, and to keep consistent with the thread, I had the Bollinger Grande Cuvee NV for New Year's and found it very nice (very dry).

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

http://www.skylighter.com/mall/sparklers.asp

Ohh, not that sort...

You can get some bargains from small producers.

We currently use Gallimard Pere et Fils Cuvee de Reserve NV (Gold Medal winner at International Wine Challenge 2000) for the house, and very nice it is too. We drank lots over the holidays, and at GBP 12.60 (say $20) a bottle there is no need to feel too guilty.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thanks to this thread, we tried the Gruet, Zardetto Prosecco, and Roederer Estate on New Year's Eve. Everyone especially liked the Gruet and Roederer Estate. And it's entertaining to see people react when you tell them where Gruet is made. I'm definitely buying more just to keep around.

forgot about the gruert since only one of the big chain guys carries it in this area

it is really a fresh taste, though. hmmmmm have to see if i can get a deal on a case :cool:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Had a change in New Year's plans and cracked open the bottle of Bisol Prosecco Crede di Valdobbiadene Brut.   I did not like this one, it had a harsh aftertaste.

Need something good to happen soon so I can open the Billecart (my husband saw the price tag and insists we save it for a special occasion.)  :blink:

Yes! Gonna tell that old curmudgeon...errr I mean husband, of mine that we SHALL drink the Billecart on that night...and I will make it worth his while... :biggrin: Great idea, Suzi!

STILL trying to score tickets to see lewis black in morristown that night but if not we will open a bottle of 1988 sir winston churchill while in the jacuzzi and i'll do a duck breast in red wine to go with a 1978 la tour for the main course - if we get there.

just quaffed a nv pol roger in the tub this afternoon - really wonderful toasty tastes but, maybe since i hadn't eaten, gave me a headache

look for the critique of the blue tasting on new years eve we did...

gee, trish if the curmudgeon doesn't want to open the bottle come on down and visit - and bring the billicart - maybe i can pick up a dom :laugh:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

My saintly curmudgeon is letting me unleash the sparklers!

Last night we enjoyed the Pinon Vouvray Spark Petilla Sec, 1996. This one was recommended by Mike Gibson at Chelsea Wine Vault. It was playful and had a smooth finish. It also had some nice fruitiness which I enjoy.

A few days ago we opened up a bottle of Furst von Metternich Riesling Sekt, which we received from a german friend as a Christmas present. This was fairly dry and acidic and went well with a chicken dinner.

I have two of the orginial seven left:

Champagne Billecart-Salmon Brut Rose'

Schramsberg Cremant Demi Sec, Vintage 2000

I would love to open the Billecart at halftime during the Super Bowl on Feb 1st, fingers crossed for the Patriots...

I would love to open the Billecart at halftime during the Super Bowl on Feb 1st, fingers crossed for the Patriots...

Save the Schramsberg Demi for dessert during the Superbowl. The Eagles victory will be quite sweet as well... :biggrin:

GO EAGLES!

From Philly,

Katie

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This is such a great thread. I couldn't find the Cerdon de Bugey locally, but I did find at Bertelli's in NJ. I ordered a few bottles, along with a 2001 Cuvee Clemente chardonnay blanc de blancs. And a presecco several people mentioned, although I haven't opened yet, so I can't comment.

Let me say that the Cerdon de Bugey was absolutely heaven for the money ($8.99, I think). Yum. A wonderful sparkler to share with friends and really is like drinking strawberries! The Cuvee Clemente....what can I say. I opened this afternoon. The bottle was close to my nose and what do I smell just as the cork gently pops....that wonderful yeasty smell that French bubblies have! Oh, and the taste: mello, smooth and of course without any hard aftertaste that many domestics have for the same price. I have found some keepers. Next purchase will be a case of each.

Thank you so much for all the information and the recommendations.

Save the Schramsberg Demi for dessert during the Superbowl. The Eagles victory will be quite sweet as well... :biggrin:

GO EAGLES!

From Philly,

Katie

Sorry, Katie... Better luck next year.... :sad:

As for the Pats, don't know how we'll do in warm weather... But looks like I get to open up some more sparklers in 2 weeks! :biggrin:

GO EAGLES!

From Philly,

Katie

Sorry, Katie... Better luck next year.... :sad:

As for the Pats, don't know how we'll do in warm weather... But looks like I get to open up some more sparklers in 2 weeks! :biggrin:

Trish:

Thanks for your sympathy. There's a funereal pall cast over the entire city. :sad: But what can you expect when you hand the game over. Like a true Philadelphia fan, I'm booing my own side with everyone else. :laugh:

Good luck to the Pats. And definitely pop those bad boy sparklers long before half time :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

GO EAGLES!

From Philly,

Katie

hey katie-

just what will the eagles be doing - serving as waitstaff :laugh::laugh::laugh:

go pats

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

GO EAGLES!

From Philly,

Katie

hey katie-

just what will the eagles be doing - serving as waitstaff :laugh::laugh::laugh:

go pats

They'll be home crying into their Gatorade...106.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Trish ! Did you ever drink the Billecart ?

:sad::sad::sad:

It's painful for me to admit this...but at halftime during the Super Bowl I was the only one at our party who wanted to drink it.... so my husband said no and it remains in the fridge. I have plan B though... Valentine's Day.... and I am going to make some lovely appetizers to go with it... he HAS to say yes now.... :smile:

Cupid's arrow struck and lovable curmudgeon himself opened the Billecart on Valentine's Day.

We decided to have dinner at home and I made hubby's favorite meal--rack of lamb, baby green salad, potatoes roti, lemon pepper string beans, finishing with Chocolate Cloud Cake made from Nigella Lawson's book Nigella Bites.

We started the meal with a toast of the Billecart. The first thing that struck me was the very pretty color, gold with just a hint of blush. Next I noticed how very bubbly it was. It had a nice clean flavor and a flute went well with our dinner.

My dessert was too sweet for the wine, so we waited until after for a final flute. The bubbles held up nicely.

I liked this sparkler, but of the ones I have tried so far, I think my preference would be for the Cerdon de Bugey because it had more flavor. It would be nice to taste test these two together though.

Of the seven, I now just have the Schramsberg left. Over time I hope to enjoy many of the others suggested in this thread, particularly the Argyle. May have to make a shopping trip soon... get ready for me Winebill!!!

I most sincerely thank all of you for your excellent and knowledgeable suggestions. :wub:

• 7 years later...

Thanks to this thread 8 years ago I learned about Cerdon-deBugey. It been a favorite of mine ever since when I can get it. So I'd like to ask, what sparklings are you drinking this holiday season? Same criteria as before: good values that may be overlooked.

I love champagne. My preference is for small grower/estate (RM) champagnes, I stocked up recently and here’s what I bought:

L. Aubry Fils

Paul Goerg “Tradition”

Camille Savès

Louis de Grenelle “Corail”

The first three are all blends (no blanc de blancs) and on the pricey side (around $35) but I like them better than many of their more expensive neighbors. The last is a sparkling rosé from the Loire, very nice and a bargain at $13.

Both Roederer and Schramsberg from California make very good domestic sparklers for around $20. For less expensive alternatives I like Westport (from Massachusetts) and Gruet (from New Mexico).

And you can’t go wrong with a good cava or proscecco.