• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite sparkler?

TrishCT

New Year's is coming and not knowing any better I usually just pick up a few bottles of Moet Brut Imperial. Would like to expand my horizons and not break the bank. Also thinking of going a bit sweeter.... Any rec's out there for some sparklers that may be of good value but are often overlooked?

Chandon California sparkler is my best buy for the quality.

Interms of Champagne, I have tried most of the vintage and superpremiums but still come back to the first Champagne I ever purchased while pursuing my wife, Tattinger Blanc de Blanc. Started with the 1955 vintage and have sampled almost everyone since. -Dick

Okay, game over: you MUST try a Cerdon de Bugey, a light, slightly sweet pink sparkler from the Savoie region of France. One of the leading examples is that from Renardat-Fache, and that one is available at Chambers St. Wines in Manhattan. Ask around and you may find it more locally. Another example I tried and enjoyed over Thanksgiving was the Thierry Troccon "Clos de la Bierle", but I got that here on the West Coast and don't know if/where it may be available there.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Ok, my favorite sparkler is Krug, but that's a bit pricey. (just a bit...)

When I want a value I usually buy Roederer Estate, the California version of Roederer. It's always good and an excellent value.

If you want something sweeter and festive the Cerdon de Bugey is a greta idea. It's like drinking strawberries!

something sweeter

Prosecco di Valdobbiadene (Ruggeri is a good producer) offers off dry sparklers for uncomplicated squaffing.

For more festive events I prefer Cremant de Limoux (for example Sieur d'Arques) from south of France (near Narbonne). Many of those are Brut, but in general not so bone dry like Champagne Brut.

When Champagne is mandatory, I go with bottles by Lassalle.

A nice alternative for sweet Moscato is Bracchetto d'Asti. The taste is similar, but it's a sparkler with a wonderful ruby colour. Have an eye for the kids when this stuff is around. It looks like raspberry syrup.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I'll second the recommendation for Roederer Estate. Very reliable

Schramsberg Demi-sec sounds like what your sweet tooth is craving. Can be found in the $35-40 range and tastes of pears and honey. YUM! This stuff is really delicious.

I recently tasted through the Laurent-Perrier line and all the products were solid. The NV Brut entry level bottling blends about 20% of the reserve wines in and is quite tasty and affordable.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

this is a good thread actually....

i need to buy a nice inexpensive pink  for someone (don't ask)

any suggestions that are easily available?

Cristalino Brut Rose cava. You should be able to pick it up for $6-7. It's tasty, and that's not just my warped palate -- Mr. Camp has seconded me on that opinion somewhere.

Okay, game over: you MUST try a Cerdon de Bugey, a light, slightly sweet pink sparkler from the Savoie region of France

My God, that is my favorite secret wine.

Look for méthode ancestrale on the label. There are also delightful non-sweet non-pink Bugey sparklers, though I've never seen one in the US.

If you can handle residual sugar, Bonny Doon makes a delicious sweet pink sparkler called freisa frizzante.

EDIT: Just stepped outside and found this on the front page of the Chron. They inexplicably ignore prosecco, but it's a convenient introduction to the topic. They also did a tasting of Cali. wines only. In case you didn't know what side their bread was buttered on.

Finally, sparkling Vouvray is often unjustly overlooked.

Edited by badthings (log)

In increasing order of cost:

For inexpensive (big parties) bubbly, the best cheap cava for my tastes is the NV Cristalino Brut Cava.

For a little more, Zardetto prosecco (good Bellini base, too)

Strangely, if I want a bubbly in the $10-12 range, I look to New Mexico (Gruet, both regular brut and blanc de noir are good)

The Renardat-Fâche Cerdon-de-Bugey is indeed very different and very wonderful.

At $20, Nicolas Feuillatte isn't bad for a co-op Champagne

Among the big house NV Champagne, I lean to the lighter more elegant styles like Taittinger or Laurent-Perrier.

There are a lot of fantastic grower (RM) Champagnes that to me outclass most of the big houses. Terry Thiese's portfolio has some good ones, I'd especially recommend the NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blancs “Cuvee Reserve”

My favorite is a little Alsation sparkler - Simonet Blanc de Blanc Brut.

Floral, yeasty nose, good balanced acidity. It's a joy. First got it through my wine club, and at $5.49 a bottle I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a case (maybe two!). Regular price is only around $7.00, so it's still a bargain.

Available from Village Corner in Ann Arbor, I don't know who else around the country might carry it.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I've said it probably a dozen times on this site, but Argyle Brut (around $15) from Oregon is my favorite inexpensive sparkler. Heavy on the Pinot. I have Fat Guy to thank for introducing me to this one.

http://www.argylewinery.com

Ellen Shapiro's article on Argyle that she wrote last year for us:

http://www.egullet.com/?pg=ARTICLE-argyle

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

actually one that i really liked and can't find down here for the life of me is Pindar's Spring Champagne.

i remembe rhaivng it for the first time on a wine-tour of their vineyard and it was a revelation to me.

granted i was barely legal at the time, but the taste still stays with me.

I'll have to try some of these inexpensive bubblies! I've had a few of those mentioned, but not the Cerdon de Bugey or the Cristallino.

on the slightly pricier side of things this year I discovered and attempted to hoard the '96 Drappier. At $35 a bottle it beats the heck out of all the NV stuff in the same price range.

Born Free, Now Expensive

for my money, Zardetto prosecco offers one of the best values out there at 8 bucks a bottle.

ohhhh

a man after my own heart :wub:

but the last time i bought it winebow, the distributor, was charging about $12 per bottle

you might like to try bel castel prosecco if you can find it, tommy(katie loeb turned me onto this pour)

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

right now i am drinking

Opera - about $8 light and just a tiny bit sweet

Argyle - about $10 - jason hit it on the head

Roederer Estate - just bought a bottle for the mil

Mumm DVX - a bit pricier, i got it for $38 a bottle but it is in my cellar for a semispecial occasion, johnnybird bought a bottle for me for our anniversary and it is exquisite

Frexinet Carta Nevada - about $8. i use this more in the summer as a base for my white sangrias

Rondel Brut Extreme - about $7. this is the other "everyday" sparkler

i asked for a bottle of Nicholas Feuillatte Rose as my "big" present from the inlaws - it's about 30; Cuvee Sir Winston Chruchill from the bird boy

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Salon Clos de Mensuil (Krugs Clos also) are my favorite high end.

Bolligers RD (recently disgorded)is also a fav.

La Grand Dame (Vieve)

Diamont Cystal

Sir Winston Churchill.

Roederer Estate from Napa I think is the best from that region.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Though decidedly not in the value range, I have to put a word in for an amazing Champagne a friend was generous enough to share last week. the 1997 Billecart-Salmon Brut Rose "Cuvee Elisabeth Salmon". I can't recall more precision and length of flavor in a sparkling wine. Truly a treat if one can find it.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

I have cut and pasted every sparkler mentioned in this thread onto my word processor. I am now armed with a list, and I am going shopping tomorrow. Wondering how many of these I will find in my local CT liquor stores. I might have to make a few calls first...

Thank you all so much for your quick and extremely helpful responses. You're the best!

Trish

Edited by TrishCT (log)