• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Researching an article

Jeffrey,

First I just want to say that I am a huge fan. I want to thank you for taking the time to answer some questions on eGullet. Your two books have reawakened the foodie in me and have helped me shed some of my food phobias (vegetarianism went out the window when i landed in paris a few months ago) and for this i can not thank you enough.

And now my question: I am interested in your method of research. On a general level I understand your attention to detail. Your ability to wrap yourself around any subject by attacking it from many different angles. What I am more interested in is on a simple level. Do you have a notebook with you at all times ? If you do have a notebook do you feel this changes how people react to you in certain situations ? Or Do you have an amazing memory that helps you recapture the sights and smells of a thai market or countless meals at a slew of restaurants without ever writing something down till the next day?

Thank you,

Joe Ruvel

p.s. I am thinking of going to Japan for a year to learn as much as I can about the people, language, and especially the food. Would you suggest Tokyo or Kyoto ? Maybe somewhere else? Thank you again.