• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SEA: T&T Seafood Chinese restaurant

Saturday night a group of friends had a really excellent meal at T&T, 18320 Aurora Ave North. I'd pretty much given up on finding really good Chinese food in the north end. For comparison, I'd call Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon "ok" at best. And even the ID places seem to come up with very mixed (at extreme ends) reviews here and on the other board.

We had six dishes, of which five were particularly good. None are fancy or designer dishes. But each had distinctive flavors that distinguished them. The kitchen does a very nice job with spices and particularly ginger.

1. Sizzling black cod. A group favorite, plus this fish is not endangered. It was almost a sweet and sour sauce, but not too sweet and definitely not gummy.

2. Sauteed green beans in garlic sauce with chicken. A standard, particularly well done.

3. Sauteed prawns and vegetables. Nice crisp vegies, loved the ginger.

4. Beef and broccoli. Another standard that somehow just seemed better than usual. Like the chefs aren't tired of making it here.

5. Seafood chow mein with soft noodles. This is definitely not Chun King.

6. Appetizer of deep fried squid with their simplest dipping sauce. Too much breading for me, but the squid pieces were not tough or chewy at all.

We did not order from the fish tank, although it did look good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've eaten at T@T about 10/12 times and find that it's not consistant enough to compare with the Seafood Restaurants in the International District or the East Side or even by the Ranch 99 in Kent. Anticipate several good Restaurants opening by the new 99 Ranch Market located in Edmunds.

They are pleasant, but they don't maintain their tanks as well as they should, [changing filters, etc]. They are better then almost all the current Cantonese Restaurants in the North of Seattle.

I'm bewildered by the popularity of the 'Snappy Dragon" as i've never gotten anything from there either eating on premise or delivered that I enjoyed. I feel it's the most over rated chinese restaurant in Seattle. Even the Mandarin Gate does a better meal for standard dishes.

If your interested in trying "Hakka Food" then i'd recommend "Dong Kong Lau Hakka Restaurant" located at 9710 Aurora Ave North. They serve very good Seafood, Regular and Hakka selections plus interesting varieties of Dum Sum for lunch with a larger variety on weekends.

Irwin :unsure:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

If your interested in trying "Hakka Food" then i'd recommend "Dong Kong Lau Hakka Restaurant" located at 9710 Aurora Ave North. They serve very good Seafood, Regular and Hakka selections plus interesting varieties of Dum Sum for lunch with a larger variety on weekends.

What a coincidence, I'm going to Doong Kong Lau for lunch with a girlfriend today! The one time I ate there I enjoyed it (about a year ago), and this time want to try some of their Hakka specialties. Their Hakka style crispy Duck sounds very good, as does the Stuffed Tofu on a Sizzling Platter, and Salt Baked Prawns and Salt Bake Chicken. I'll report back.

Do you have any recommendations for uniquely Hakka dishes to order at Dong Kong Lau?

Laurel: I'd recommend that you order:

Pork Belly with Pickled Vegetables

Salt Chicken

Mochi Duck

Salt & Pepper Chili Shrimp

These are all Hakka Dishes that are most popular in Hong Kong

They sometimes have "Tripe" which tastes better then it sounds the Hakka way.

THe owner is generally there and he will be pleased to offer suggestions. Just tell him the "Fai Low" from Honolulu his brothers customer and friend from their restaurant in Hawaii.

I hope that you enjoy you meal,

Irwin

I know this is slightly off topic but i'd like to share something that brought me into becoming interested in Hakka Food.

In 1965 just about when womans lib and equality in the job place became so newsworthy in America I became awed by the Hakka Woman in Hong Kong and wanted to learn more about the people.

A little known fact about the massive construction in Hong Kong was that this was based upon the skill and ability of the many Hakka Woman who were responsable for the amazing Bamboo Scaffolding that was put up on the exterior of every building project, seemingly overnight.

The exterior Scaffolding was put up, and if need be taken down due to Monsoons extremly quick and this skill was done by the Hakka's, now matter how high or large the building were being built.

They also were a very important part of the framing and forming being done in the buildings.

At every topping off party, even for the individual floors of construction the were parties held for the crew at "Hakka Restaurants", since I was working at various projects with the Architects I managed to get myself included and became infactuated with Hakka Food.

These were amazing hard working people, with pecusrsors of womans lib, they were certainly exceptional plus sure had great food, mostly prepared by men at their restaurants.

One of the most famous dishes was "Beef Testaciles" Hakka Style that my wife used to kid had something to do with womans lib. Not sure but tasted much better then "Prarie Oysters".

Irwin :laugh:

Edited by wesza (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I ateonce at Dong Kong Lau Hakka Restaurant. I particularly went to try the mochi duck (stuffed). I enjoyed the dinner but not enough to go back.

As for the Snappy Dragon, at least it's better than Black Pearl! Which, I admit, isn't saying much.

I ateonce at Dong Kong Lau Hakka Restaurant. I particularly went to try the mochi duck (stuffed).  I enjoyed the dinner but not enough to go back.

Ditto. I ate there once and found the food to be very dull.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 5 weeks later...

Delayed report on Doong Kong Lau Hakka cuisine lunch...

The Salt Baked chicken was wonderful! Very moist and flavorful (not overly salty as the name would suggest). Only fault on this dish is the skin is not crispy, but not a fatal flaw. I enjoyed & would order it again.

The Hakka Stuffed Tofu was good, too. Cubes of tofu are stuffed in the middle with a small mound of ground pork and fried. I would recommend this in the Sizzling Platter catagory as opposed to lunch deal for reasons noted later.

The Hakka style Crispy Duck which I ordered as a side dish, wasn't particularly crispy, but leftovers crisped up beautifully in the oven. The flavor was good.

The hot and sour soup was good, as was a single piece of crispy fried chicken wing which accompanied my lunch special. (chix wings could become addictive, really).

First thing I noticed upon entering the restaurant was the fragrant scent of five spice and it seemed to be a flavor component of several of their dishes. I love five spice, so that made me a happy camper, however some diners who are not enamored with it might not enjoy.

I recommend avoiding their lunch specials and just ordering ala carte dishes. The lunch specials, although a good value, came with a gloppy sauce that, while tasting ok, it was too much & covered not only the sauteed bok choy but mostly everything else, and would have been better served on the side.

edit to add: Irwin, unfortunately I didn't see your post before I went, but I would have liked to. I didn't see pork belly on the menu. Is it an off menu item?

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Does anybody know who owns this place, (T&T I mean) I seem to remember hearing that they also owned Fortune City in the ID?

Thanks ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

The Salt Baked chicken was wonderful! Very moist and flavorful (not overly salty as the name would suggest). Only fault on this dish is the skin is not crispy, but not a fatal flaw. I enjoyed & would order it again.

The Hakka Stuffed Tofu was good, too. Cubes of tofu are stuffed in the middle with a small mound of ground pork and fried. I would recommend this in the Sizzling Platter catagory as opposed to lunch deal for reasons noted later.

The Hakka style Crispy Duck which I ordered as a side dish, wasn't particularly crispy, but leftovers crisped up beautifully in the oven. The flavor was good.

The hot and sour soup was good, as was a single piece of crispy fried chicken wing which accompanied my lunch special. (chix wings could become addictive, really).

First thing I noticed upon entering the restaurant was the fragrant scent of five spice and it seemed to be a flavor component of several of their dishes. I love five spice, so that made me a happy camper, however some diners who are not enamored with it might not enjoy.

I recommend avoiding their lunch specials and just ordering ala carte dishes. The lunch specials, although a good value, came with a gloppy sauce that, while tasting ok, it was too much & covered not only the sauteed bok choy but mostly everything else, and would have been better served on the side.

edit to add: Irwin, unfortunately I didn't see your post before I went, but I would have liked to. I didn't see pork belly on the menu. Is it an off menu item?

Blue Heron:

Baked Salt Chicken doesn't have a Crispy Skin since it baked in a External Salt Cover thats cracked open before being served.

The Chef's generally on duty at lunch time aren't as versatile as the dinner chef so I wouldn't expect everything to be prepared to the same standards. However since there's generally one of the owners always on duty it would be a good idea to let him know that if he's not positive that everything you've chosen to order won't be prepared exactly as it should be that you'd order something else, then I'm sure it will be prepared correctly.

The Hakka approach to Crispy Duck preparation is different to Cantonese in it's finish and flavor.

Many items on the Menu are specific for the Seattle market such as Hot and Sour Soup traditionally served only in Northern Chinese Cuisine as well as other popularized menu selections, especially what I expect is their interception's of Luncheon Dishes.

If your their at Lunch they serve several very tasty "Hakka" style Dim Sum during the week and a much larger variety on weekends. Request that they advise you of those that are actually Hakka Dim Sum.

The "Pork Belly" with Pickled Vegetable is always available i'm not sure of it's name on the menu but every served knows what your requesting since it's a specialty.

If's it available another Hakka item famous is the way they prepare "Tripe" if it's something your interested in trying.

Hope that your next experience will be more enjoyable.

Irwin :wink:

Thought that since it hasn't yet been posted i'd let everyone know that the "T & T Seafood Restaurant" has opened a new branch located in Edmonds next door to the 99 Ranch Market at 22511 Highway 99 in addition to their Shoreline location.

They are featuring a opening special of Lobster at $13.88 pound and Fresh Abalone at $13.88 each. The restaurant opened on January 31, 2004.

The Restaurants are welcome addition the the north end. I personally don't find either place to be nearly up to the quality and standards of most Seafood Restaurants established in the International District where the Seafood is prepared with more finesse and expertise, especially the majority of dishes requiring skill at similar prices.

Both T & T's are geared up for serving special Family Dinners for 8 to 12 guests starting at $88.00 to $238.00 per table for opening specials.

Irwin

Hope that your next experience will be more enjoyable.

Irwin :wink:

I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't like my lunch at Doong Kong Lau, because overall I enjoyed it, including the leftovers (I ordered too much food on purpose, so I could take some home). When I go back, I will go for dinner and I look forward to ordering the pork belly w/pickled veggies and other items you have suggested to try as well. Thanks, Irwin for the details and background info you have given regarding Hakka food! :smile:

I'm bewildered by the popularity of the 'Snappy Dragon" as i've never gotten anything from there either eating on premise or delivered that I enjoyed. I feel it's the most over rated chinese restaurant in Seattle. Even the Mandarin Gate does a better meal for standard dishes.

Finally, someone says what I've always thought about the "Snappy Dragon". I've had what I thought was some of the most over-sauced, mediocre Chinese food there while people around me rave about it. They had the worst pot stickers I've ever tried and that's supposed to be one of their specialties. I also seem to remember lots of sweet, gloppy sauce. However, it's been a long time since I've eaten there, as I've never cared to go back.

I'm so excited to hear about "Dong Kong Lau Hakka Restaurant". I've seen it many times and just thought it was another bad North Seattle Chinese place. Salt roast chicken is one of my favorite dishes and I haven't ever found a good version of it in Seattle, so I'm going to have to head over and try it out.

Thanks, Irwin, for the great referral and information about this.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

As for the Snappy Dragon, at least it's better than Black Pearl! Which, I admit, isn't saying much.

Ooooooo! I almost forgot about how bad Black Pearl is...you're right, it is worse than Snappy Dragon.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

The Salt Baked chicken was wonderful!  Very moist and flavorful (not overly salty as the name would suggest).  Only fault on this dish is the skin is not crispy, but not a fatal flaw.  I enjoyed & would order it again.

Blue Heron:

Baked Salt Chicken doesn't have a Crispy Skin since it baked in a External Salt Cover thats cracked open before being served.

I like to explain salt-baked chicken to diners not used to the concept as a chicken that is steamed in a crust of salt in the oven. You're not the first person who has been surprised that the salt-baked chicken didn't resemble baked chicken at all! A good salt-baked chicken should be very moist and tender like you described, with a velvety soft skin and flesh lightly scented with cilantro, scallions, ginger and star anise, which are stuffed in the cavity while it cooks. (Not everyone enjoys eating steamed chicken skin, though.) The chicken gets chopped up and sprinkled with cilantro. It should also come with at least one dipping sauce, the default is an oily ginger sauce, but can also come with chilli, garlic or citrus based sauces as well.

When I'm in a hakka restaurant I always try to order things made with preserved/salted vegetables, fish or eggs or dishes featuring innards.

I've been told by a hakka guy from Taiwan (there is a large group of them there) that hakka foods are very salty and fragrant because the hakka were traditionally laborers (as weza mentions) and liked the extra salty food because they sweat so much.

Do any hakka restaurants in the Seattle area serve lui char fan (lai cha)?

regards,

trillium

A good salt-baked chicken is awesome!!!

I used to have those when i was a kid in Singapore.

Yummy stuff!

As with all kinds of food, there are slight variations but most of them are tasty.

Havent had those things for years but I'll have to check out that Hakka place.

A good salt-baked chicken is awesome!!!

I used to have those when i was a kid in Singapore.

Yummy stuff!

As with all kinds of food, there are slight variations but most of them are tasty.

Havent had those things for years but I'll have to check out that Hakka place.

BastilaShan:

The "Hakka" Baked Salt Chickenis prepared differently then the "Huinan" or in many cases "Singapore/Malay" Style Baked Salt Chicken both are delicious and my favorite "Rice" side dish is served with the "Huinan" style. I belive there a whole thread dedicated to this variation.

The "Hakka" Style is also very popular served as "Salt Ginger Chicken" in the older traditional Hawaiian Chinese Restaurants a staple along side "Beef Tomato" or"Chow Funn" and "Steamed Pork with Salt Fish".

The Hunain Style is done very well at either of the "Malay Satay Hut" Restaurants and Hawaii type Cantonese dishes are served at "Tai Tung Restaurant" at 659 S King St.

Irwin :biggrin:

The Salt Baked chicken was wonderful!  Very moist and flavorful (not overly salty as the name would suggest).  Only fault on this dish is the skin is not crispy, but not a fatal flaw.  I enjoyed & would order it again.

Blue Heron:

I like to explain salt-baked chicken to diners not used to the concept as a chicken that is steamed in a crust of salt in the oven. You're not the first person who has been surprised that the salt-baked chicken didn't resemble baked chicken at all! A good salt-baked chicken should be very moist and tender like you described, with a velvety soft skin and flesh lightly scented with cilantro, scallions, ginger and star anise, which are stuffed in the cavity while it cooks. (Not everyone enjoys eating steamed chicken skin, though.) The chicken gets chopped up and sprinkled with cilantro. It should also come with at least one dipping sauce, the default is an oily ginger sauce, but can also come with chilli, garlic or citrus based sauces as well.

When I'm in a hakka restaurant I always try to order things made with preserved/salted vegetables, fish or eggs or dishes featuring innards.

I've been told by a hakka guy from Taiwan (there is a large group of them there) that hakka foods are very salty and fragrant because the hakka were traditionally laborers (as weza mentions) and liked the extra salty food because they sweat so much.

Do any hakka restaurants in the Seattle area serve lui char fan (lai cha)?

regards,

trillium

trillium:

Your discription of "Baked Salt Chickens" was very well done.

I was always impressed after viewing the contraption that was used to correctly prepare the Chickens at the Hakka restaurants in Hong Kong and Taiwan it looked like a sort of Rube Goldberg drawing but tasted better then almost all chicken dishes.

The proximity of Huinan to both Taiwan and Hong Kong makes one curious about the way the Salt Chicken evolved into two variations both so special.

If I was opening a NEW type of Chinese Restaurant for the Market I'd try a "Traditional New York Cantonese Restaurant". as I find that it's hard to get any of the so called Chinese Food that was so popular everywhere in the NYC Area anyplace anymore nearly as good. Rheres got to be a memory nostalgic clientle.

Seattle Restaurants aren't able to prepare Lobster Cantonese, Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Lo Mein, Spare Ribs or Barbequed Pork, Chop Suey, Fried Rice or Chow Mein and Egg Foo Yung even close to the old reliables even though it on some menus.

I've been told it's hard to find even in NYC.

Irwin :unsure::biggrin:

In Singapore, there is the Hainan chicken (with that awesome rice, which i just found out how to make) which is what is served at Malay Satay Hut and yummy.

Not known as salt-baked chicken there though.

There is also a different salt-baked chicken which is somewhat hard to describe. Never found out how they did it but it is quite different from the Hainanese chicken.

What is this Hawaiian-style Cantonese chicken?

Thanks!