• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe etiquette

nessa

The only time I won't share is when someone will be disingenuous in the usage. Like my friend _________, who will substitute Pillsbury refrigerated dough for the lovingly made puff pastry. Then, I refuse to give it because I don't want the wonderful recipe I cherish that bastardized. Otherwise, I will give it. Also, if they use the Pillsbury stuff, I don't want to be responsible for the lousy outcome.

Well, butter my b--- and call me a biscuit!

The only time I won't share is when someone will be disingenuous in the usage.  Like my friend _________, who will substitute Pillsbury refrigerated dough for the lovingly made puff pastry.  Then, I refuse to give it because I don't want the wonderful recipe I cherish that bastardized.  Otherwise, I will give it.  Also, if they use the Pillsbury stuff, I don't want to be responsible for the lousy outcome.

And then, too, your friend_______ will say, "yeah, I got it from my friend, Annie Girl. I think she must have left out an ingredient. Don't you hate it when people do that!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Not to close the door after the horse has bolted, but I agree with those who think imitation is the best form of flattery. I will gladly share! Besides, I am a much better cook, MINE is always taste better...(tee hee)

The only time I won't share is when someone will be disingenuous in the usage.  Like my friend _________, who will substitute Pillsbury refrigerated dough for the lovingly made puff pastry.  Then, I refuse to give it because I don't want the wonderful recipe I cherish that bastardized.  Otherwise, I will give it.  Also, if they use the Pillsbury stuff, I don't want to be responsible for the lousy outcome.

That's a pet peeve of mine, too.

If you ask for the recipe and then promptly change it, why did you want the original recipe in the first place?

There's a popular recipe web site that has feedback for recipes and I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who post messages like "Great recipe, except I doubled this and substituted that." :blink:

You want my recipe? Follow it word for word the first time you make it. This will show you how it's supposed to turn out. After that, feel free to change what you want and then take my name off the recipe, please.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

If someone wants a recipe, will go home, try to figure it out if I winged it, or copy it if I have not, and send a typed copy.

It does not bother me in the least, in fact am happy to do it. Hope they enjoy it.

Am a home cook and have gotten even restaurant recipes by just asking.

Not one of those recipes has ever stopped me from going back to the restaurant to order the dish again, or stepping on someone else's toes who always serves or brings the dish.

Have no idea why people will withhold a recipe, unless it is proprietary.

But even if it is, someone is going to figure out a knockoff (except, maybe, for Coke. Can taste cloves in it though).

Give us a few days and we can figure out a substitute for almost anything.

We have had to do so for some commercial preparations we could not buy anymore.

Usually the knock off is more expensive and labor intensive than just buying the original.

When I live in a world where I give you my recipe and you give me yours, we all do better.

There's a popular recipe web site that has feedback for recipes and I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who post messages like "Great recipe, except I doubled this and substituted that." :blink:

You want my recipe? Follow it word for word the first time you make it. This will show you how it's supposed to turn out. After that, feel free to change what you want and then take my name off the recipe, please.

Actually I find it a hoot that almost of none of the cooks responding to the recipes on that site have actually followed the recipe. They don't seem to realize that it's not helpful at all if you are looking for a recipe to see no one has actually cooked the recipe given. Yet somehow they hated it! And felt the need to pass it on! (And it's so crazy really, the results were so terrible, even when they substituted canned green beans!!!)

A perfect example for me is for Panna Cotta, the italian " jello for grownups"

I always bring it to parties here in Florence, as noone here really makes desserts.. so I am sage and the dessert goddess..

I make it with a creme caramel base, serve it out of the pan.. with berries..

I gave the recipe to my Italian hostess who loved it..

When I called to ask how it went.. she said fine.. but thought it was a little tougher than mine.. the next time she would BAKE it less!

It is JELLO!!! the name panna cotta means cooked cream, she thought I just left out telling her the baking time!!!!!

Take my recipes.... Please!! :wacko:

Nessa,

All I gotta say is don't go to your grave clutching that secret recipe, please. :shock::laugh:

I wish I could have written down recipes of my grandmother who was such an excellent Polish cook - the noodles, the soup, the stuffed cabbage, oh! And I think about my friend with his Chinese parents who create so many wonderful dishes, wishing that he would bother them to get those written down.

So much greatness lost because it wasn't written down. I guess that makes me firmly on the side of sharing recipes.

A perfect example for me is for Panna Cotta, the italian " jello for grownups"

I always bring it to parties here in Florence, as noone here really makes desserts.. so I am sage and the dessert goddess..

I make it with a creme caramel base, serve it out of the pan.. with berries..

I gave the recipe to my Italian hostess who loved it..

When I called to ask how it went.. she said fine.. but thought it was a little tougher than mine.. the next time she would BAKE it less!

It is JELLO!!! the name panna cotta means cooked cream, she thought I just left out telling her the baking time!!!!!

Take my recipes.... Please!! :wacko:

:blink::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by klc14 (log)

An obnoxious little story: I went to a private art showing at someone's home. I was invited by the friend of the artist. The art was lovely but so was the wine and the amazing food being passed around. The best was an avacado mousse- I tasted it and just about died, it was so good. So, I asked around and it turned out that the artist made the mousse. So I went up and told her how much I enjoyed her work and by the way, "how did you make that avacado thing?" She replied: " My sister got it off the internet but people keep asking about it so I can't give you the recipe, I'm going to sell it and my other recipes along with my art work". What? Her sister got it off the internet and she's going to take ownership of it and sell it at her shows? No, no, no! I actually bought one of her paintings, she is very talented) and while she was wrapping it up I copied the recipe off of her fridge and have given it to everyone I know. BTW: I still can't find the original recipe online anywhere so maybe the sister tweeked it a bit. I have to admit that I feel a little bit guilty about what I did but the quest for a good recipe will do that to you, plus- I did buy one of her paintings!

Melissa

while she was wrapping it up I copied the recipe off of her fridge and have given it to everyone I know.

Good going. And now wouldn't you like to add it to the eGullet recipes? :rolleyes:

You know, I think I will! The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it looks nice for a long time, even with the avacadoes. People love it and you can serve it with all sorts of things.

Melissa

while she was wrapping it up I copied the recipe off of her fridge and have given it to everyone I know.

Good going. And now wouldn't you like to add it to the eGullet recipes? :rolleyes:

You know, I think I will! The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it looks nice for a long time, even with the avacadoes. People love it and you can serve it with all sorts of things.

Yes, please post it. It sounds intriguing and avocados are going to be coming down in price in a couple months.

Let us know when it's in the RecipeGullet.

edited to add: I've found tons of recipes for "avocado mousse" using a Google search. I'll wait until it's posted here to compare.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Not to close the door after the horse has bolted, but I agree with those who think imitation is the best form of flattery. I will gladly share! Besides, I am a much better cook, MINE is always taste better...(tee hee)

ditto

Um guys......it can't be posted into recipegullet unless it's been adapted enough to comply with our copywrite policy.

:smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

An obnoxious little story: I went to a private art showing at someone's home. I was invited by the friend of the artist. The art was lovely but so was the wine and the amazing food being passed around. The best was an avacado mousse- I tasted it and just about died, it was so good. So, I asked around and it turned out that the artist made the mousse. So I went up and told her how much I enjoyed her work and by the way, "how did you make that avacado thing?" She replied: " My sister got it off the internet but people keep asking about it so I can't give you the recipe, I'm going to sell it and my other recipes along with my art work". What? Her sister got it off the internet and she's going to take ownership of it and sell it at her shows? No, no, no! I actually bought one of her paintings, she is very talented) and while she was wrapping it up I copied the recipe off of her fridge and have given it to everyone I know. BTW: I still can't find the original recipe online anywhere so maybe the sister tweeked it a bit. I have to admit that I feel a little bit guilty about what I did but the quest for a good recipe will do that to you, plus- I did buy one of her paintings!

so why aren't you sharing the recipe here hm...........

Um guys......it can't be posted into recipegullet unless it's been adapted enough to comply with our copywrite policy.

:smile:

you must be joking!!!!!!!!!!!

A recipe need only be written to be protected under the copyright laws of the U.S.; publication is not necessary for copyright portection to apply. Jotting down a recipe on a scrap of paper is sufficient to make that writing yours.

The list of ingredients and quantities thereof can stay the same. What needs to be changed is the description of the food or the method of preparation. This is no big undertaking.

Please post the avocado mousse recipe. It's nearly reaching legendary status by now!

Browniebaker's quite correct with the exception that copyrights apply internationally. Let's also note that we're talking about "copyright" and not other homonyms. :biggrin: It refers to the rights of the author in regard to his intellectual property. Without the author's permission, no one has the right to use those words. There are limits and exceptions to these rights and I suggest members read The eGullet.com Copyright & Fair Use Policy if the concept is not meaningful or clear. Our own policy goes beyond what the law might require and asks members to adhere to an ethical policy as well as one that is within the law. As eGullet.com has become successful and read not just by foodies, but by journalists, editors, chefs and others prominent in the area of culinary writing, it's been clear to management that we need to enforce the most professional level of respect for intellectual property. It's also something our creative members insist on as well.

Browniebaker is also correct in noting that one cannot copyright a list of ingredients any more than one can copyright a dish. What is protected is the text of a recipe. Adapting a recipe by using your own words to describe the process removes the taint of copyright infringement.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Now, I'm a good girl and certainly don't want to get on the bad side of egullet. PM me if you really want the recipe ok?

Thanks Toasted. Or, as we've said, just change the wording of the method, and you're all set!

Speaking of recipes, I made Browniebaker's Brownies yesterday, and they are just amazing. :wub:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.