• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afraid of Fruit

Thanks for the restaurant info, Robyn.

Also - as far as mushrooms are concerned - what's the problem with them absorbing some liquid if you're going to cook them (which forces them to give up their liquid)?  Robyn

When cooking fish with its skin on, you must try to get as much moisture out as possible to get it nice and crisp without overcooking the fish's flesh. In the same way, if a mushroom is sodden, then it'll take a very long time to develop, or may never develop, those crisp edges.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I don't understand the problem with rinsing strawberries and then drying them, and I hope the restaurants that don't rinse strawberries are using organic fruit exclusively because, as docsconz alluded to, strawberries and other berries tend to top lists of fruits and vegetables that in tests show the highest pesticide residues.

Michael aka "Pan"

Also - as far as mushrooms are concerned - what's the problem with them absorbing some liquid if you're going to cook them (which forces them to give up their liquid)?  Robyn

When cooking fish with its skin on, you must try to get as much moisture out as possible to get it nice and crisp without overcooking the fish's flesh. In the same way, if a mushroom is sodden, then it'll take a very long time to develop, or may never develop, those crisp edges.

Perhaps my memory is failing me tonight - but I mostly saute mushrooms for things like sauces and quiches and eggs and they are never crisp. What kinds of dishes are served with crisp mushrooms? (I guess there are dishes with fried mushrooms but I don't eat a lot of fried food).

I wash fish too - but dry it on lots of paper towels before I saute it so the skin gets crisp (use the same paper towels on mushrooms - but not because I'm trying to get them crisp). Robyn

Perhaps my memory is failing me tonight - but I mostly saute mushrooms for things like sauces and quiches and eggs and they are never crisp. What kinds of dishes are served with crisp mushrooms? (I guess there are dishes with fried mushrooms but I don't eat a lot of fried food).

I wash fish too - but dry it on lots of paper towels before I saute it so the skin gets crisp (use the same paper towels on mushrooms - but not because I'm trying to get them crisp). Robyn

When I roast smaller mushrooms, chanterelles for instance, I look for a texture different than that of, say, a sauteed portobello. The latter I hope will be meaty, slightly chewy. I prefer a lot less moisture when I roast chanterelles and expect crisp edges, a bit of crunch when I bite.

I was just using the fish example to clarify why I am wary of washing mushrooms too thoroughly.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy