• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Terre d'Agala, Duca di Salaparuta, 1998

Alberto

This red blend has changed its composition at one point, it used to be nero d'Avola based with some other local grapes but starting from this vintage (or maybe the following, I don't know exactly, so nothing sure) it turned to 90% nerello mascalese - 10% merlot, vinified separately and then assembled. Half way up in the price scale of D. di S. portfolio.

Dense purple. Blueberry jam, barbecue, and balsamic oak wood on the (well integrated) nose. Massive in the mouth with thick fruit and "black" notes of coffee and liquorice. Controlled tannins in the finish show the maturity of this wine, but the middle palate structure suggests still a long life IMHO. Beautifully made, vigorous and ripe but too generic to be truly interesting. Anyways, in France they'd say gourmand, and I'd say goloso.

Paired with pasta e fagioli (egg pasta cooked in beans soup, seasoned with a stunningly delicate extra-virgin from Liguria) and a horse steak tartare.

Edit: D. di S. wines are imported in the US by A.V. Imports

Cheers,

Alberto

Edited by Alberto (log)

Beautifully made, vigorous and ripe but too generic to be truly interesting.

Too true of so many wines, nevertheless, if the price is right it sounds like a pleasureable experience. I love the direction of Sicilian wines using native varietals.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz