• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casa Mono and Bar Jamón

Jason Perlow

I can definitely think of a lot of other restaurants where we could eat and drink more and better for that kind of money.

Ah, but are there other restaurants in NY serving that kind and quality of food for that money?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can definitely think of a lot of other restaurants where we could eat and drink more and better for that kind of money.

Ah, but are there other restaurants in NY serving that kind and quality of food for that money?

I guess you're asking if there are other, cheaper high-end tapas places in NYC. Good question. Are there?

I guess you're asking if there are other, cheaper high-end tapas places in NYC. Good question. Are there?

Not that I am aware of.

Welcome to eGullet, Felix!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the welcome. Frankly, I don't think I'm often in the mood for high-end tapas, specifically. I didn't go to Casa Mono last night because I wanted high-end tapas: I went because I wanted a relatively informal meal with good food, and that's exactly what I got. Can I find food that good elsewhere at a lower price? Yes. Can I get it in "small plate" form? Yes -- they're everywhere these days. Will all the food and wine have some kind of Spanish flavour to it? Maybe not -- but I don't really think that's important. And in any case I doubt the average Spaniard would feel particularly at home at Casa Mono -- as one of my dining companions said, a $16 tapa isn't really a tapa.

Felix, no doubt for what you are describing you are correct. for those of us with an occassional jones for spanish style tapas there is little in this country outside of Jaleo in DC that I have found that can beat it. As expensive as it is it is still cheaper for a NYer to go there than to DC or Donostia.

Twitter - @docsconz

For inexpensive tapas in New York, Zipi Zape in Brooklyn is really the only place I could think to reccomend.

Please tell us more about this place. Where is it in Brooklyn?

Twitter - @docsconz

Zipi Zape is on the corner of Metropolitan and Berry in Williamsburg. It's been discussed in the Brooklyn Mobilize thread. I will add, they have great fish specials and though the food is tasty, the room is less so and now that the weather is turning you may no longer be able to sit outside.

• 1 year later...

My impression is that, in recent times, the New York Magazine menu archive has been kept more up to date than MenuPages.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/casa-mono/menu1.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My impression is that, in recent times, the New York Magazine menu archive has been kept more up to date than MenuPages.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/casa-mono/menu1.html

Menu Pages tend to lag way behind in keeping their info up to date. Which is not to knock them, it would be hard to stay on top of everything, but you're always better going to the restaurant's own web site if possible.

Larrylee,

I was there about a month ago. I would say about 75% of the menu was the close to the one on menu pages. FYI-The descriptions on menu pages are abbreviated. hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, but what do you mean by abbreviated?

FG: Thanks for that other option!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

For the curious, here is a copy of the menu from lunch today. In comparison with the listing on nymag.com, items under "To Start" and "Seafood and More" are mostly unchanged. The Meats and Game section has some movement. The specials and vegetables have changed quite a bit.

For example, items such as guinea hen, venison, lamb shank, monkfish, calf's liver, goat cheese canelones, pimientos, brussels sprouts, artichokes, scallions, and cauliflower are no longer present.

TO START

Pan con Tomate

Jamon a mano

Esalada Mono with Manchego

Roasted Beets with Valdeon

Bacalao Croquetas with Orange Alioli

Pumpkin and goat cheese croquetas

Calamares Fritos

Sardinas Fritas

SEAFOOD AND MORE

Chipirones with white beans

Mussels with cava and chorizo

Sepia a la plancha with salsa verde

Pulpo with fennel and grapefruit

Razor clams a la plancha

Fideos with Chorizo and clams

Duck egg with Mojama

Sweetbreads with Fennel al Mono

Lamb's tongue with Favas

Foie gras with Cinco Cebollas

MEATS AND GAME

Pork Loin with Saffron Honey

Duck with Cpers

Cock's Combs with Cepes

Tripe with Chickpeas and Morcilla

Duck Hearts with Lentils

Piquillo peppers with oxtails

Lamb chops with peas and mint

Skirt steak with onion mermelada

ESPECIALES

Dorada with white gazpacho

Ribeye for two with ramps

VEGETABLES

Cardoons with garlic alioli

Patatas Bravas

Artichokes with mint

Setas with garlic

Asparagus with Shiitakes

Ramps with Romesco

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch a week ago yielded:

Ramps with Romesco

Lambs Tongue with Fava

Cardoons with Garlic Aioli

Ensalada Mono with Manchego

Cock's Comb and Cepes

Tripe with Morcilla

Sepia with White Beans

Duck Egg with Mojama

Duck Hearts with Lentils

Razor Clams with Garlic

Best dish: Tie between the Lambs Tongue and the Cock's Comb.

The lamb's tongue was corned, somehow. I asked the chef, but couldn't hear over the hum of the stove (even though he was standing not two feet from me) - sounded like he said it was rubbed, though I asked if it had been brined. The lambs tongues were breaded and fried and served on a nicely dressed bed of arugula and topped with fava beans. The tongue was tender and tasted just like corned beef (except there was a bit of tongue-iness to it).

The cock's combs were just like miniature gelatinous gloves which had been sauteed with cepes (not sure what type) in a slightly sweet (I'm guessing there's sherry or wine) sauce which was reduced to a glaze. It was dusted with almond bits that had been coated in a spicy-sweet red pepper powder. The dish was spicy, overall. I'm not sure if the heat came solely from the almonds, or if the sauce was also hot.

Actually, everything was very very good. I wish the mojama was grated instead of shaved whole on the duck egg dish - but the black truffles - OH!!!

The only disappointer (and we all agreed) was the sepia dish. It was luke warm and the flavor was off - I think too much of the inkiness of the squid had been allowed to get into the sauce.

I was happy. I'll be back, I'm sure.

Pictures of the entire meal here.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 year later...
Never mind. I found out the answer to my own question.

...and the answer is?

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Still a reliable standby in the face of newer competition (Toro, Boqueria Soho, etc.).

We had a lunch when I was in town a couple of months ago.

13077041_1145546292162786_8984724454686924302_n.jpg

13087039_1145546398829442_6303622999741910154_o.jpg

Fried sardines, fennel salad.  Expertly prepared with no greasiness or oiliness.

img_5099.jpg

Quail, fava beans and mint.  A winner; it tasted as good as it looks.

img_5094.jpg

Moroccan six spice lamb with chickpeas and harissa.

We wanted to like this but it was too salty.  If you can taste the salt, it's too much.

13055767_1145547942162621_8784797612537323368_o.jpg

Rhubarb tart, crème fraîche sorbet.

This was fine.  Not amazing but desserts aren't Casa Mono's strong suit.

13055265_1145547795495969_4987404629144244374_o.jpg

Cheese plate with quince jam and honey.

Better than a few comparable restaurants in San Francisco, though that's probably my old hometown bias showing.