• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food With Curative Powers

Busboy

Thanks hillvalley. Actually one of my professors cancelled class Monday because she was sick. That's a problem because they cram so much stuff into three months that we don't have much time to cover what was missed.

I had a feeling that was Maurice Sendak.

Thanks hillvalley. Actually one of my professors cancelled class Monday because she was sick. That's a problem because they cram so much stuff into three months that we don't have much time to cover what was missed.

I had a feeling that was Maurice Sendak.

Actually a whole book:

Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months

by Maurice Sendak

My oversized copy of Chicken Soup will come out next month when we start a unit on the new year. Sendack wrote it, and I think two other books, as a parody of the poems his mother read him as a child. The song is on the Really Rosie soundtrack.

As for the chicken soup I cut the ginger into pieces and steeped it soup for about 20 min. I tried chewing on the pieces of ginger that were still in the soup this morning and they tasted pretty good. Not something I would normally eat, but for now it was a welcome change.

Kate, my students don't know it yet but they have a lot of catching up to do in the new year. We haven't had three days in a row where everyone in our class, including the teachers, were at school since Thanksgiving so we are very behind. Thank heavens I don't have to give exams. Are you keeping up with your workload? I had my final exam last night (I'm in night school) and relieved to have it over with. Hang in there.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

My oversized copy of Chicken Soup will come out next month when we start a unit on the new year.  Sendack wrote it, and I think two other books, as a parody of the poems his mother read him as a child.  The song is on the Really Rosie soundtrack.

Are you thinking of the Nutshell Library? There were 4 volumes in total. The other 3 are Pierre, a Cautionary Tale, Alligators All Around and One Was Johnny.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Chicken broth with garlic and cayenne pepper. Followed by more broth/garlic/cayenne.

I was on Prednisone for 13 months, a few years ago. Miracle drug -- horrible stuff. It had a mind of its own and wouldn't let me go off it.

Chicken broth with garlic and cayenne pepper. Followed by more broth/garlic/cayenne.

I was on Prednisone for 13 months, a few years ago. Miracle drug -- horrible stuff. It had a mind of its own and wouldn't let me go off it.

I had never taken steroids- I was prescribed this time because last year I had three pulmonary embolisms in October & came out of it with two nodules on that lung. So my doctors were getting hyper about my congestion. But miracle drug-yep- makes a person feel enormously well-SCARY-double yep-I can't even fathom taking them as long as you had to. I'm not sure what I'd have gotten up to, but I bet it would've started with holding a building up off the ground with one hand. :hmmm:

I took a generic brand of Prednisone last year for severe allergies, and I had such a scary reaction to it that I'll never take it again. My skin was flushed and red and I got very dizzy. Seemed like incipient anaphylactic shock.

Michael aka "Pan"

Many years ago Troy Aikman played in a football game and got the feathers knocked totally out of him. He screwed up his rotator cuff and they operated on it. I've had rotator cuff surgery and got two stainless steel screws put in. I could not fully use my arm for months. So here was Troy, missed two games, back in playing. Now I know how he did it; all these years I figured I was just a wuss. And yep-I set off metal detectors.

Ginger Ale, Jello and chicken soup seemed to be the staples around here.

I'm 39 weeks pregnant, I have the flu and the mother-in-law in the house for a month. I think what I really need is a fifth of vodka!

:)

Right now I'm very congested, hardly a food thing but the best thing for congestion is to take a hit of pepper spray. ;)

I only know because we had to take one in our job (I'm a probation/parole officer) and after the first 45 minutes of unadulturated hell and suffering, I think I have never breathed more clearly, never had such clean sinuses and the like. Of course, I think I'd rather have some Indian food!

Ginger Ale, Jello and chicken soup seemed to be the staples around here.

I'm 39 weeks pregnant, I have the flu and the mother-in-law in the house for a month. I think what I really need is a fifth of vodka!

:)

Okay, I no longer feel sorry for myself. You win hands down GrizzlyLemon. If I could drink a fifth of vodka for you I would do it. Hang in there.

Since spraying pepper spray on yourself is a length most people will not go to I have an alternative. Wasabi. As much as you can handle. I personally mix it with rice and soy sauce, but in times of desperation I have eaten it straight. Liquid Plummer couldn't do as good of a job cleaning out your sinuses.

Does anyone know if lemongrass has any curative powers? I am thinking about putting some in this weekend's batch of chicken soup.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Not taking this food in the normal route, but I have found that grinding horseradish root to mix with white vinegar for use as a condiment is spectacular for clearing the sinuses.

Also one of my cure-alls for general lack of pep is anything with enough chile/tabasco/chili/pepper that it is too hot to eat closed-mouth genteel fashion. If it makes my eyes water and make me gasp, it's just hot enough. Especially good with 2-minute eggs and cheese.

As for hangovers... biscuits and gravy at the roadhouse down, er, hem, the road. Salt and grease and starch. Mudder Nature's sponge.

I'm fortunate to never have had prednisone... toxic stuff. When I finish with my MD I hope I am as frightened of using that stuff as I currently am.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

For the aches and pains, try Oscillococcinum at the Health Food Stores. I

have only had the flu once, and this took away all the symptoms.

Hope everyone is back on their feet soon. I'm definately cooking at home

this season. The flu hasn't hit here yet.

• 9 months later...

BUMP!

It's time for this thread again. Caught a rather nasty head cold last week and went searching for food ideas that I could stomach. I made tryska's mom's rasam (recipe is a little ways up thread) and it worked WELL. Even the process of pounding the spices helped break through the congestion.

I must also add a vote for tom yum gai soup with lots of chiles. It really helped.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I have high blood pressure and even though I take prescription meds for it, it always runs just a tad high.

But the last two times I've had my blood pressure checked, it's been exactly what it's supposed to be (120 over 80). The nurses even asked me if I had changed my medications which I hadn't.

The only thing different I'd been doing was putting was putting a teaspoon of cinnamon on my morning toast after reading this discussion.

I figured, I liked cinnamon anyways so what did I have to lose?

Who knew?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver