• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli

Louisa Chu

Pinch me - pinch me hard.

It's just been confirmed. But I still don't believe it yet. Nor have any of the details worked out. Don't speak Spanish - forget about Catalan. But one thing I do know is that I will be working there up until closing night Season 2004 - the hottest night of the year at El Bulli!

Congrats! I look forward to reading your posts on your experiences.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Terrific. It's really great to hear that it's final and official.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Great!. I can't think of a better place to be from April to September. Cala Montjoi is a wonderful place, as many parts of the Costa Brava Nord (North Costa Brava), both by the seaside and the inland towns. There are great restaurants to sample traditional dishes, others with a more creative edge, others specialized in serving terrific products with minimal intervention, ... .

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

We are thrilled that we have a rising star. Please keep us posted.

Bux, can we have a special forum for Louisa's adventures?

We are thrilled that we have a rising star. Please keep us posted.

Please, please,please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear about how it all works.

2004 is gonna rawk!

2317/5000

I'm tempted to say she can have whatever she wants here. As usual, we'll be looking forward to as much communication from Louisa as possible. Cala Montjoi and Roses are certainly going to afford a very different experience than Paris. I hope she gets out and around Catalunya a bit as well. This will be a great experience and I'm sure Louisa knows how much you all want to share it.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Simon,

What's up in San Celoni?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Pinch me - pinch me hard.

It's just been confirmed. But I still don't believe it yet. Nor have any of the details worked out. Don't speak Spanish - forget about Catalan. But one thing I do know is that I will be working there up until closing night Season 2004 - the hottest night of the year at El Bulli!

What ever you do - Do enjoy Costa Brava - A beuatiful region and very nice and passionate people. Nice beaches....

anil

Congratulations, Louisa!

(It's none of my business, but I hope they pay you something, because I can't imagine what all of this has been doing to your finances.)

Michael aka "Pan"

Thank you all so much for your interest and support - it's what gets me through the particularly meticulous mise en place sometimes - knowing that someone cares.

Ted - and anyone else who might know - what was your friend's housing situation? Their dorms are full up and I'm waiting to hear back about alternates. Part of me thinks - hey, they're in a national park - near the beach - why not camp out? Kidding.

GG - me too, me too.

Simon, I was thinking that too. And yeah, quoi de neuf?

Hey Jordi - that's so cool! Come on - give it up - how'd you get it? victornet and I want to know!

Pan, nope - no pay - and no, please don't try to imagine what it's doing to my finances - it's quite frightening. Some stages do pay - nominally - that's what I get at ADPA - but it's all part of my education - an investment in my future, as they say. At least I don't have to pay them - which on really good days, I can't believe I don't.

Ted - and anyone else who might know - what was your friend's housing situation? Their dorms are full up and I'm waiting to hear back about alternates. Part of me thinks - hey, they're in a national park - near the beach - why not camp out? Kidding.

Louisa,

My friend was staying in the dorm.

I don't know what else is available out there.

Can they hook you up close?

maybe Bux knows about some stuff there.

I don't think the 2 hour drive will work though.

So happy for you!!!

2317/5000

I seem to recall there was some commercial campground nearby, but I'm also under the impression its season was shorter than the one at El Bulli.

Ted, what 2 hour drive are you talking about?

The town of Roses is about 7 kilomters away from El Bulli. We picked up a young American on our way back into town the first time we were there. He had just had lunch and we recognized him as we passed him on the road, so we stopped. It turned out his girlfriend was working in the kitchen and he was just visiting and dining there. We met her further along the road. It seems they missed each other at the restaurant and thinking he had already left, she left without him. It struck me that 7 kilometers was a long hike after working a shift. That was in the afternoon in the days when they served lunch. I can't imagine walking it at night on an unmarked unlit road.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable