• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need turnip ideas

Mudpuppie

Here is my favorite thing to do with turnips:

Feed them to a pig. Eat the pig.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Turnips are usually pretty bitter, so I can understand your sentiment.

I think they're good when boiled so much they're kind of killed, like in couscous.

Michael aka "Pan"

Here is my favorite thing to do with turnips:

Feed them to a pig.  Eat the pig.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Turnips are usually pretty bitter, so I can understand your sentiment.

I think they're good when boiled so much they're kind of killed, like in couscous.

Actually, I've tried feeding them to my chickens, but they don't want them! :laugh:

Turnips are bitter when they're old, but the baby turnips are really sweet and delicately flavored. This is why I'm not sick of them yet, and why I want to expand my repetoire.

amanda

Googlista

I love root vegetables, but in my garden, they just didn't grow big. Lots of delicious greens, but not many roots. Now, my parsnips, on the other hand, are large and ready to pick. But I wish I had better luck with turnips.

Anyhow, I definitely agree with roasting and sauteing. I love having a variety of vegetables (carrots, potatoes, parsnips, turnips) coated with a little olive oil, salt, and thyme, and roasted. Also throwing the turnips in with other vegetables in a pot roast is good. And there's always vegetable soup.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

I am crazy about turnips. They are the root of turnip greens and how can I not like something that is the "root cause" of my favorite winter green. :laugh:

I like to boil them until soft in lightly salted water and whip with heavy cream, butter, black pepper, and an egg (temper first or you get turnips and scrambled eggs). They come out light and fluffy. Great with a meaty dish like roast or braised beef tips.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

1. Make scallopped potatoes or a potato gratin with cream, substituting turnips for 1/2 the potatoes.

2. Braise them. Lightly saute halved smallish ones or 1" chunks of larger ones in butter till they just start to color a bit, add chicken or vegetable broth to come up about 1/3 of the way, season with S & P and maybe herb of choice (bay leaf, thyme sprig is nice). Cover & barely simmer till tender.

3. Oven roast, per others' suggestion. I like them with other assertive winter vegetables like parsnips and winter squash.

Try this link for making middle eastern style pink pickled turnips. I make this every year ready for Christmas and New Year, because it is so pretty on the table (and soooo easy).

http://202.186.86.35/kuali/recipes/arpickles.html

I usually store them for 10-20 days rather than the 5 suggested in this recipe. Also, you can add coriander seeds or celery leaves to the pickling vinegar mix.

I use chunks of red cabbage held together with toothpicks to color my pickles, as I cannot buy beetroot locally.

Other vegetables can be added...squares of red bell pepper (I don't use the very top, just to reduce the chance of mold or other spoilage), chunks of blanchd cauliflower, radishes, slices of carrot cut with fancy cutters, etc.

I love root vegetables, but in my garden, they just didn't grow big. Lots of delicious greens, but not many roots. Now, my parsnips, on the other hand, are large and ready to pick. But I wish I had better luck with turnips.

This crop is a first for me. I usually end up with puny greens and no roots. This year I must have good karma.

Anyhow, I definitely agree with roasting and sauteing.  I love having a variety of vegetables (carrots, potatoes, parsnips, turnips) coated with a little olive oil, salt, and thyme, and roasted.

I forgot to add roasting to the list of things I know how to do. Indeed, it's one of my favorites. One of my best wintertime comfort foods: roasted root vegetables. Dice potatoes, carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, sweet potatoes, onions, leeks (minced) and garlic; coat with olive oil, thyme, S/P and paprika; roast until tender. :wub:

The leeks get crispy and a little charred. Sooooooo good.

Thanks for all the ideas, and especially the links. Yum.

amanda

Googlista

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Coarsely grate in a food processor. Use as mulch on your row of garlic. :laugh:

Don't feed it to the poor pig. The SPCA will get you for making it eat turnips and the pig might pick up some of the turnip flavor.

Can you tell that I hate turnips?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Julia Child has a GREAT recipe for glazed turnips! Blanch them in boiling salted water. Brown them in pork fat. Then braise them for about an hour in beef broth with butter and sugar, boiling down the liquid at the end to creat a syrupy glaze. They are fork tender and taste delicious! I know turnip haters who've been converted by this recipe.

-- Jason

This is an Alsatian technique, I do not quite remember the exact name of the dish. The turnips are first cut on a spinning cutter to make "noodles" similair in shape to "a la guitarra" then marinated overnite in lemon juice, coarse sea salt and reisling. The next day rinse the turnips and allow to drain in a collander. In a heavy bottom pan, sweat bacon in goose fat until soft add small dice of onions and chopped garlic, cook to the just before starting to caramelize stage deglaze with more reisling, reduce by 80%, add the rinsed turnips, cover and braise at 350 degrees F for an hour. Stir a couple of times during the process. These are great with duck breast, confit, braised pork shoulder, and excellent with foie gras with a nice apple reduction. The marination (sp?) of the turnips in the acid helps them keep their shape during cooking. I forgot to mention that this works well with turnips that have been peeled and thinly sliced, as well. :rolleyes:

Patrick Sheerin

Aside from Fifi's comments, this thread is the perfect example of the virtues of eGullet. 20 posts offering help with the lowly turnip.

This site rocks. :smile:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Coarsely grate in a food processor. Use as mulch on your row of garlic. :laugh:

Don't feed it to the poor pig. The SPCA will get you for making it eat turnips and the pig might pick up some of the turnip flavor.

Can you tell that I hate turnips?

You know, you people have obviously never had any good turnips. There are a lot of bad turnips in the world. I feel bad for your misfortune.

Edited to add :wink: .

Edited by Mudpuppie (log)

amanda

Googlista