• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cast Iron Seasoning --- Veg Oil or Lard?

Fay Jai

OK....(hope this is the right board for this question), have consulted a couple of different websites, (Including Lodge's). Got a huge ole' brand new cast iron skillet in preparation for my annual New Years pigout of Hoppin' John...still need to season it though! Seems like everyone has a (very) strong opinion on just what the best method is for seasoning and caring for cast iron. (For instance, I have a friend who absolutely insist that soap will NOT damage their pan.) Is there a consensus on this?

Thanks so much!!!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I haven't seasoned a cast iron pan in about 15 years, but I used vegetable oil the last time I did it.

NO SOAP!! Good god. Hot water followed by an immediate drying. If you need more abrasive cleaning, use salt. I keep my cast iron in the oven so it stays perfectly dry.

Quick story--my mom had her grandmother's cast iron skillet, which was probably 100+ years old. How's that for seasoning? :smile: She got remarried, and her new husband, to surprise her, had it sandblasted to "clean it off." My mom actually cried when he handed her the shiny polished remnant.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I have my great-grandmothers #12 skillet that I have used for over 20 years. It is over 100 years old, and I wash it with soap and hot water, just the way she did.

I also have my grandfathers huge cast-iron kettle that he got from his grandfather. It has been used over many, many campfires and I will not fry fish in anything else. I also clean with mild soap and dry, just the way he did.

I never knew there were so many different opinions and methods regarding the humble cast iron!

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I never knew there were so many different opinions and methods regarding the humble cast iron!

Indeed. If I had washed my mother's or grandmother's cast iron skillet with soap they probably would have hit me in the head with it.

:laugh:

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

i prefer using Peanut oil because it has the highest smoking point. But initially i used crisco cuz that is what the Lodge booklet said to use.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Ditto on peanut oil...I think I used generic veg oil when I got my first skillets, many years ago, but recently got a new iron comal and chose peanut as I heat it dry and considered the smoking point issue. NEVER soap, just hot water and a brush..nothing EVER sticks to my skillets.

In addition to Dave the Cook's excellent linkages, there are a couple of points to keep in mind. As other folks have said, keep your skillet in the oven. Not only will that help keep it dry, but the sheer thermal mass of the cast iron will help even out temperature fluctuations in the average home electric oven.

And one of the folks on the Good Eats Fan Page called Lodge. In the conversation they admitted that the 350 degree seasoning temperature in their literature is way too low. Think 450-500 instead. With that in mind, you'll need a fat that has a smoke point higher than 450 or so. And your first couple of dishes should be fat/oil heavy -- fried chicken is good, but bacon works, too. Just wipe the surface clean afterwards and put the pan back in the oven. If it gets really nasty, put about half a cup of kosher salt and a couple of tablespoons of canola or peanut oil in the pan, heat it and swab/scrub with a wad of paper towels (shop towels are even better) held with tongs.

Chad

edit: spellig

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Story: When My DH and I first married, aeons ago, I bought a cast iron skillet and seasoned it. DH wanted to show me how a good seasoned skillet should look, so next time we were at his parents, he showed his Mom's iron frying pan. He said: "See? Nice and cruddy!" -------Well, his Mother was in the kitchen and she very indignantly said: "It is NOT cruddy!!!!

LOL!

A little detergent (different from "soap") to remove a particularly greasy mess isn't going to hurt anything despite the panic that idea seems to instill. The seasoning certainly isn't going to just come right off unless there's little there to begin with. Just don't go scrubbing away more than necessary with the detergent and refrain from using it unless you need it. Also, the amount of seasoning will increase *and* decrease, ebb and flow, over time just from cooking. In any case, you only need enough seasoning to fill in the "pores" and just cover the exposed surface. I wouldn't use any detergent until the pan reaches this point.

A little detergent (different from "soap") to remove a particularly greasy mess isn't going to hurt anything despite the panic that idea seems to instill. The seasoning certainly isn't going to just come right off unless there's little there to begin with. Just don't go scrubbing away more than necessary with the detergent and refrain from using it unless you need it. Also, the amount of seasoning will increase *and* decrease, ebb and flow, over time just from cooking. In any case, you only need enough seasoning to fill in the "pores" and just cover the exposed surface. I wouldn't use any detergent until the pan reaches this point.

Logically this makes perfect sense. However, with all due respect, you don't have my grandmother's glare forever in your mind's eye.

:laugh::laugh:

Jamie

Is notwithstanding up.

biowebsite

Oh, and open a window or two while you season your pan. Otherwise your house will smell like a foundry.

Chad

If you have an outdoor gas grill with a lid, it's perfect for smokey jobs like this.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

A little detergent (different from "soap")

This is just like when people say "grease" and "oil" are two different things.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I don't know if Lodge recently introduced a new line of pre-seasoned cookware, or if the particular piece I just bought is the only piece they are selling pre-seasoned. But I'd been wanting one of those reversible grill/griddles for a while, so I finally ordered it from chefscatalog.com (free shipping right now) last week. When it got here (actually it is sitting in my office until I decide to take a cab home because the thing's heavy as hell and there's no way I'll make it home otherwise), I noticed it says "pre-seasoned." :shock: We'll see how it works.

There is a thread here somewhere that gave the Lodge pre-seasoned line very high marks. They have most if not all of their pieces available pre-seasoned.

Lodge Cast Iron here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There is a thread here somewhere that gave the Lodge pre-seasoned line very high marks. They have most if not all of their pieces available pre-seasoned.

Lodge Cast Iron here.

Thanks. :smile: I did look for a thread, but I'm new here so I must have missed it. I'll look again. I must say I wasn't looking forward to getting those grooves on the grill side properly seasoned.

I couldn't find it either. :biggrin:

BTW, welcome to eGullet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

:raz::raz::raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"