• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcohol "Nutritional" Fact Labels

beans

Sorry about the timing of this, after all this is the "most wonderful time of the year" but also a horror for some to fight to stay in shape to wear that lovely little black number for New Years Eve. Good food! Good drink! :rolleyes:

For what this source reports, this article may be of some interest. This is a front page, top news story sort and cannot be directly linked. Click here for the main page wherein you'll find this story.

WASHINGTON, Dec. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- A proposal for a uniform "Alcohol

Facts" label was submitted today by the National Consumers League (NCL), the

Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), and others in a petition to

the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.  The petition urges the agency

to require a new label for alcoholic beverages that would give consumers clear

information about alcohol content, serving sizes, calories, and ingredients.

The groups argue that "Alcohol Facts" labels will do for alcoholic beverages

what Nutrition Facts labels have done for packaged food: provide readable

information that would empower consumers to make informed decisions about the

products they consume.

If you miss it, cannot locate it or do not wish to leave the comforts of eG, basically this consumer group is petitioning, signed by 67 consumer groups and 4 deans of public health schools no less, to label alcohol similarly to the Nutrition Facts labels that appear on food products, citing to the "jurisdictional gaps" in the FDA and the now TTB (reminding me of the Treasury Department's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, what was renamed from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms). Assertions were the lack of nutritional expertise within the TTB as well as "inconsistent standards" differentiating/blurring categories for beer, wine and hard liquor, and citing health concsious consumers and "America's concern over the epidemic of overweight and obesity."

Labels would disclose: alcohol content, standard servings, caloric info and ingredients (!).

Any thoughts on this?

I find the idea of alcoholic beverages and context of diets sort of doesn't really work. On a diet? Do not consume alcohol, or add on that extra five miles to the daily run/workout. (all IMHO) However I do see several benefits to the listing of ingredients -- specifically regarding allergens as there have always been stray questions to barfolk about glutens.

</return to regularly scheduled programming of holiday cheer.... :raz: >

Cheers!

i'm surprised they're not already labeled with this information.

i've had discussions with several people, some right here on egullet, about the caloric and carbohydrate content of white wine vs red wine vs beer, etc. i would think that anything that informs the public is inherently good. a lot of people are making decisions based on hearsay and plain bad information. not good.

as far as not drinking if you're on a diet, well that just doesn't sound reasonable. and i don't think it's necessary.

i've had discussions with several people, some right here on egullet, about the caloric and carbohydrate content of white wine vs red wine vs beer, etc. i would think that anything that informs the public is inherently good. a lot of people are making decisions based on hearsay and plain bad information. not good.

This is a similar discussion/thread, the links I provided point to the least of the carbo offenders.

http://www.webtender.com/iforum/message.cgi?id=22200

as far as not drinking if you're on a diet, well that just doesn't sound reasonable. and i don't think it's necessary.

Probably because alcoholic beverages are empty calories and are not easily converted in the body. No drinking while on a diet? Probably not, at least not for this girl :biggrin: , but limited quantities are certainly recommended.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

This is really gaining momentum -- DISCUS just issued their press release:

The Distilled Spirits Council supports providing U.S. consumers with

reliable, useful information about what they eat or drink.  The petition filed

today would require the addition of basic nutrition facts for beverage alcohol

products.  Some beverage alcohol products already have this information on

their packaging.  We look forward to providing our views to TTB during any

rulemaking proceedings which may evolve.

This may happen!

Am I the only one reading this who remembers that CSPI et al. were the ones who fought against nutritional labeling of alcoholic beverages in the first place? As I recall, the argument then was the it would allow purveyors of demon rum to claim health benefits by adding vitamins and whatnot. I'm suprised (although not too surprised) to see a flip flop in light of the obesity thing. It was always moronic that alcohol be the only packaged product in the whole store without even a calorie count. And god forbid they settle on listing the alcohol content by proof or percentage.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Chatting with other coworkers, I can also see how this is something that may not be embraced by the distillers and/or distributors. Liqueurs are the biggest offenders of the carbo craze. Actually being shocked by seeing the actual carbs and calories may potentially curb sales. :unsure:

Look what Atkins like diets inspired with A-B's Michelob Ultra Light. (Which BTW have announced today that this product is expanding to can production due to its rising popularity).

Chatting with other coworkers, I can also see how this is something that may not be embraced by the distillers and/or distributors. Liqueurs are the biggest offenders of the carbo craze. Actually being shocked by seeing the actual carbs and calories may potentially curb sales. :unsure:

i'd imagine the hard liquor industry will see somewhat of a dip in sales initially. but then again, knowing that margaritas are bad for me never curbed my desire to drink them . :wacko:

True. But then those that drink and wonder about say, Bailey's. Yikes!!! Even I'd rethink that indulgence and opt for something else. Which will stink. Bailey's is a fine product.

Further discussion of this among others in the biz has brought up how many more times a barkeep will be asked for this info.... :blink:

edit: I need to accept I cannot type, hence I need to up the proof-reading efforts. :huh:

Edited by beans (log)

Well, at 7:32 a.m. today, alcohol giant* Diageo issued their support of this consumer petition.

STAMFORD, Conn., Dec. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Diageo, the world's leading

premium drinks company, announced today that it will begin providing American

consumers with important product information.  Guy L. Smith, Diageo executive

vice president said, "Diageo is a consumer-focused company.  Starting in 2004,

Diageo North America will begin providing American consumers with alcohol

content, serving size, macro-nutrients, carbohydrates and calories for its

products.  This consumer data will be included on our websites, in printed

promotional materials, and ultimately on packaging materials."

That's a big statement of support! That's also a marketing department with a finger on the pulse of what consumers want.

*Just for those that are vaguely familiar of Diageo, their brands number 300+ in beer, wine and spirits and includes (but are not limited to) Guinness, Beaulieu Vineyards, Sterling Vinyards, Smirnoff, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray, Johnnie Walker, J&B, Jose Cuervo and Baileys.