• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A wine pairing question

Alex

To start our New Year's Eve dinner I'll be making a recipe from San Francisco's Millenium Restaurant: Chilled Avocado, Tomatillo, and Cucumber Soup with Saffron-Lime Ice. It has a base of miso and lime juice, with puréed avocado, tomatillo, cucumber, onion, garlic, and jalapeño, seasoned with cilantro, oregano, nutmeg, and black pepper. (Full recipe here.)

The citrus elements make me think that a bright and somewhat acidic white would be a good match, but otherwise this is beyond my wine pairing knowledge. Any suggestions up to about $25 retail would be greatly appreciated.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'll throw in my $.02 for either a German or Alsace reisling.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Chilled Avocado, Tomatillo, and Cucumber Soup with Saffron-Lime Ice. It has a base of miso and lime juice, with puréed avocado, tomatillo, cucumber, onion, garlic, and jalapeño, seasoned with cilantro, oregano, nutmeg, and black pepper. Any suggestions up to about $25 retail would be greatly appreciated.

Alex,

The elements I would focus on when choosing are:

-the soup will be served chilled

-jalapeño is an ingredient

-cilantro and lime juice are accents

While sauvignon, riesling and other sturdy white might do well, I think bubbly is your best bet unless the jalapeño flavor and spice will be substantial. If that is the case, I would find a wine with some residual sweetness to pair against the heat from the jalapeño - perhaps, a German spatlese or an Austrian riesling or gruner from the house of Hirsch (they often have RS).

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Personally, I don't think serving table wine with soup is appropriate. The acidity added is usually overpowering in the form of vinegar or citrus acid. I prefer to serve fortified wines - the sherry recommendation is good, also Fino sherry, dry Madeira, sometimes tawny Port depending on the ingredients. With this particular soup, I'd go with dry sherry or white Vermouth. There is also the possibility to serve nothing.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

I've just recently discovered sherry and adore the lighter, apperitif styles which would work well with soup.

If you are married to the wine idea, I think Florida Jim is right on the mark - my initial thought was a California Sparkling (to complement the California-style of the soup) - perhaps a J or a Schramsberg Querencia for a little more fruit.

There is also the possibility to serve nothing.

That's no fun :shock::biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Personally, I don't think serving table wine with soup is appropriate. The acidity added is usually overpowering in the form of vinegar or citrus acid. I prefer to serve fortified wines - the sherry recommendation is good, also Fino sherry, dry Madeira, sometimes tawny Port depending on the ingredients. With this particular soup, I'd go with dry sherry or white Vermouth. There is also the possibility to serve nothing.

What he said. And I'll add that large servings of liquids along side your liquid first course will spoil your guests appetites for the rest of the meal.

An excellent quality white vermouth is King Eider, from Duckhorn Wine Co.HERE. It's a California vermouth that's a bit more aromatic than the standard Noilly Prat or Martini & Rossi behind the bar.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks, everyone, for your incredibly quick replies. I e-mailed a summary report, so to speak, to my cousins. I think they're leaning toward Champagne (NYE, French wine fans, etc.) but they'll probably wait until we get there to decide. Maybe I'll also ask for a glass of sherry (my preference) so I can compare.

I'll do a post about the meal after the holidays.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

I made the soup (a winner, btw) earlier in the day, so we decided to check out how it worked with the dry sherry. The sherry was lovely on its own as an aperitif, but utterly wrong with the soup; the taste of both changed dramatically, and not for the better. (Sorry, Mark.) We both agreed that a champagne would be the way to go, and indeed it was. We agreed with Katie about not starting with too much liquid, so four of us shared a split of Nicholas Feuillatte. As several people mentioned, the bubbles cut through the richness and the acidity stood up to the lime juice and tomatillos. Thanks again to everyone for your input.