• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troiani

I keep going back. And I'm not the only one - the place appears to be doing a decent business. Still haven't eaten beef.

I liked the simple tomato sauced spaghetti.

And a plate of scallops.

The arugula salad was kind of flat - very lightly dressed (at all?).

Lunch chicken under brick was quite good, even for white meat.

Oh, got lucky with a special of bacalhau. Gratis - even better!

Well, I know I'm probably pickier than some...but I found Troiani a little 'uneven' and that was frustrating because the good stuff was incredibly good.

The Calamari salad appetizer was a bit flat.

The Big Ravioli absolutely incredible.

The Sweetbreads to die for as was the Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce while the Duck seemed to lack the rich flavor I've come to expect.

We shared a Semifreddo for dessert and it was SO sweet.

Service was overly-attentive and yet they just couldn't get it right. Our cocktails arrived and within minutes our wine was brought over, uncorked and offered us to taste....very strange.

Normally I wouldn't order Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce but I'm glad I followed some of the recommendations here...it was absolutely great.

I'm not a big fan of Sweetbreads....but these took my breath away.

It's a very pretty resturant and some of their dishes are outstanding...but at $175. for two of us I would expect everything to be of the same calibre.

• 1 month later...

All the talk of meatball sandwiches elsewhere - I forgot to tell you about the lamb meatball sandwich special - Thursday's I believe - on the lunch menu. This was unreasonably good - big, light meatballs with mozzarella and rich tomato sauce served on a crusty roll. I ate it with a knife and fork. It could have fed two. Sided with a small argula salad.

The lunch menu is very nicely done with the menu changing each day of the week so it would be hard to get tired of it - plus some dishes on there everyday.

lunch menu

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wish I had read this thread before trying Troiani last weekend. Uniformly disappointing. Occassionally, I enjoy a good steak but not here. Way past medium rare, with little else to offer, except a pleasant but rather slow wait person. Cannot imagine trying again.