• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A “Dandy” Dinner

Al_Dente

I went to the office Christmas party aboard the Dandy—one of those Potomac dinner cruise deals. Some of the views weren’t bad. Even the trip up the Anacostia was surprisingly scenic.

Dinner was “interesting”:

Squash Soup—this should really have been served as dessert. Imagine warm pumpkin pudding.

Spinach Salad—served with walnuts, sections of canned mandarin orange (?!?!?!), with a funky tasting vinaigrette. The spinach had a pesticidy taste that was difficult to get past.

Main Course—I chose the Prime Rib. It was ok, kinda thinly cut and overdone, but seasoned well. Came with some passable string beans and a ruined baked potato. I’m surprised a cloud of potato dust didn’t pop out of the skin as I cut into it.

Dessert—I went with the cheesecake. It would have been decent if it weren’t frozen in the middle.

Fortunately they had an open bar.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

That does sound pretty bad, even though it seems like you are trying to look on the bright side of things.

"OK"

"Passable"

"would have been Decent"

"Views of Anacostia were scenic"

I'm trying. Trying real hard...

You got it Guajolote-- all top shelf. So top shelf, I hadn't even heard of the brands.

Letsee:

Leroy's Famous Russian Potato Juice

McWhiskey's Special Reserve 3-week Old

Duke of Earl's Royal Gin

-- A.B.

Even the trip up the Anacostia was surprisingly scenic.

I did think the underside of the Wilson Bridge was kind of interesting - the boat I was on turned around there. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Even the trip up the Anacostia was surprisingly scenic.

I did think the underside of the Wilson Bridge was kind of interesting - the boat I was on turned around there. :laugh:

Let's put it this way, you know how every once in a while someone tries to kill themself by jumping off the Wilson Bridge? Well, if they jumped and just happened to land in a chair at a table on one of these boats as it passed by, they might very well be convinced they died and went straight to hell.

-- A.B.

Certainly this is not as *interesting* as a Dandy dinner on the Potomac, but it's worth noting that my own office holiday party (Friday) featured two fondue fountains. As people got drunker (and I, nursing the flu, stayed more or less sober), two colleagues and I got the drunkest of the bunch to skip the skewers and stick their heads under the fondue fountain. I did it just to see if they'd go along with it.

There are photos.

Al Dandy. Whaddya think?

Did I come across as dissapointed? Not at all.

Stupendous meal-- the fooey grass was well presented. And the accompanying bottle of veeogner was perfect. Then the champanya, made me say wow.... wowie.... wowie.... wow... wow (a la Christopher Walken)...... :laugh::wacko::laugh:

-- A.B.