• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat First

sara

Since it was impossible to get a reservation on short notice at Jaleo or Cafe Atlantico before tonite's Simon and Garfunkel concert (which was awesome, by the way), Mom and I ended up at Eat First. Having seen this place reviewed positively over the years (albeit in the Washingtonian), I was pretty psyched. Unfortunately, we were disappointed with very greasy and almost uniformly tasteless food. We had: dumpling soup, baby bok choy w/ garlic, steamed fresh shrimp with a ginger sauce, and 1/4 cantonese roast duck. All were dishes mentioned in the reviews. All were honestly boring. Oh well-- I'm curious, did we just order badly, or have others shared similar experiences lately? Also, for furture reference what are other good options near the MCI Center (Zola was also booked)?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Were they boring, or poorly executed?

Eat First used to be our favorite restaurant in Chinatown, but that was before they closed for a time and moved to a new location. We don't go much anymore, mostly because we moved to Rockville and there's good places to go out here. Still it's disappointing to think that they have gone downhill.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

DC still has a Chinatown? I've had perfunctory, rather than commendable, Asian cooking for too many years now. Even the supposedly good places underwhelm, especially if you've been to real Chinatowns elsewhere. Matchbox and Ella's might have been good short-notice bets. Signatures as well.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

It used to be as good as it gets around here but that was some time ago, pre MCI center. Now there are dozens of better, more interesting Chinese restaurants in the suburbs.

There's a huge new tapas restaurant right across the street from MCI but the name escapes me. That might have been a less boring choice.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Both boring and poorly executed, IMO. I saw the tapas restaurant during our walk to the MCI, and it did intrigue me...Oh well, next time.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

The tapas place is La Tasca. Looks like a chain. Was there last week on business (went to Jaleo, Zaytinya and the aforementioned). It was ok, will serve the masses well. That's the boldest plan ever, opening a chain-type place right next to the real deal. For Chinese, next time Sara, try New Big Wong. I've been there a few times, it's pretty good.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Ella's and Matchbox are both good bets. Note that Ella's now has a happy hour with free pizza at the bar from 4-8pm weekdays. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, assuming there is enough turnover to keep the pizza fresh.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

The tapas place is La Tasca. Looks like a chain. Was there last week on business (went to Jaleo, Zaytinya and the aforementioned). It was ok, will serve the masses well. That's the boldest plan ever, opening a chain-type place right next to the real deal. For Chinese, next time Sara, try New Big Wong. I've been there a few times, it's pretty good.

Hooters might be second place for Chinese; following Big Won, of course...

he he.

On Thursday, a friend and I had drinks at Zaytinya (love that Lemonos Maxiumus!), but there was a looooonng wait for a table and the bar was a zoo so we thought we'd try a new place, La Tasca. From the "just ok" comments I've heard, I'm glad that it was closed for a private event.

Instead we went to one of my new favorites, Matchbox. I love that prosciutto white pizza with a Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Although the pizzas have seemed super-salty to me (and I love salt - as indicated by my choices which have included both the meat lover option and the aforementioned prosciutto) in the past, on Thursday, it was PERFECT. My friends and I are making a regular date of this spot.

"ok" sums up La Tasca pretty well.

I'll keep my "eat first" vs "big wong" comments to myself.

If I remember from an earlier discussion it was "Eat First, then Big Wong"

Yep, from page 6 of this golden oldie thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26770&st=150

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Last I heard, Rosa Mexicano is opening its doors this Friday.

Two more Penn Quarter options coming soon: Jimmie and Sharon Banks' latest ventures at 8th & E, Ginger Reef (formal restaurant downstairs) and Ginger Cove (casual cafe upstairs). NB: You might need to look lively to catch the small nameplate above the door. I think it's printed in the "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea" font--I had to stop and squint to read it (I was sober at the time, honest!). In any case, you can find them across 8th from the CVS. I will try to get an honest-to-goodness opening date from them and report back.

Erin

The tapas place is La Tasca. Looks like a chain.

The La Tasca here is the first non-European site for this chain. It is based in Manchester, UK and has a couple dozen outlets across the UK and maybe on the continent. I think they are opening another one in the US in Florida.