• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] Oregon White Supremacy...

Well, it's apparently truffle season and I've had the pleasure of purchasing local truffles at both New Sesons ($5/oz) and City Market ($7/oz). A one ounce truffle appears to be about the size of a quarter spun on its axis, maybe a little smaller. I'm using them to make truffle oil mainly and it seems you can make about 10 ozs of truffle oil with a one ounce truffle, but maybe more. That's just the ratio that I've tried so far and it worked.

Just wanted to give Portlanders a heads-up. And the provacative title is just because I like plays on words and has no political intentions whatsoever.

Well, it's apparently truffle season and I've had the pleasure of purchasing local truffles at both New Sesons ($5/oz) and City Market ($7/oz).

Tell us about the taste -- I was going to by a Piedmont truffle from The Pasta Shop in Berkeley last week, but they wanted $1,400 a pound for White and $800 a pound for Black...

I don't know that I'm experienced enough to say. They smell great. Very potent. Also, I have a cold right now -- a soar throat -- which is throwing off my sense of taste a little. My sinuses are fine, though. I imagine some of your folks in California are experienced with Oregon white truffles enough to say how they compare to European truffles. Do you guys have any of the same species down there in N. California? You should see if Berkley Bowl is selling them. They have everything else on the planet.

The Oregon white and black truffles taste nothing like their European counterparts. That isn't to say they aren't delicious, just that you shouldn't expect them to be the exact same thing. They do have an amazingly intoxicating odor, it's just not the same as their cousins across the pond. More on Oregon truffles and mail ordering here.

regards,

trillium

• 3 weeks later...