• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Mobilize!

jogoode

I didn't notice anyone in the thread mention Patois on Smith St.; too obvious perhaps.

Why too obvious? And what type of food do they serve, at what kind of prices?

Patois is Smith St restaurant row pioneer Alan Harding's first restaurant.

He's focus of a lot of the criticism that the restaurant gets but I have heard a lot of complaints about service there in the last year. The restaurant food wise is french with a cajun influence supposedly but perhaps are just resting on their past reputation instead of innovating.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Patois (check out the photos as well as the menus) was one of the first arrivals on Smith Street. I haven't eaten there in a while so can't comment on recent complaints, but I've never had any problems in the past. If you fancy going I suggest waiting for warmer weather and trying for one of the tables in the garden. It's very romantic, so take a date!

re:patois

The back garden does look very inviting

Maybe have to give it another whirl this june or so

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Being a bit older and a resident of Brooklyn for a seriously long time (many decades) I have a list that is somewhat different (and somewhat similar) to the others in this thread. NB I haven't included many Smith St/Northside/Williamsburg places. That has been thoroughly covered by others.

Peter Luger - for all the obvious reasons, well one really, some of the greatest steak available anytime anywhere. Not all of them are that good, just most. When they're good they're great. Detractors complain about the pre slicing and the butter, but that doesn't mean the raw product and its handling aren't close to perfect. The rest of the stuff ranges from pretty good to very good (bacon app/burger/potatoes).

Embers- 3rd Ave & 101st St. Bay Ridge. Where for $36 two of you can share a Porterhouse that is considerably larger than Lugers double and 1/3 of the cost, and not half bad, it's often quite good in fact - definitely not Lugers, but you can go here 3 times for one meal at Luger's. Big bargain.

Tom's Luncheonette - a treasure in prospect hgts. (washington & sterling) that since 1937 has served all day bkfst until it closes at 4 PM. A place that has the best hospitality in the industry and is the last (almost) of its breed. Not to be missed for the experience. Closed Sunday. Owner Gus Vlahavas is an exceptional person who is the unofficial 'Mayor' of Brooklyn. Club sandwiches for lunch, anything for breakfast (except the puny ham).

Tanoreen - Patestinian home style 'cuisine du femme' which puts most other middle easterns to shame. Amazing lasagnish baked eggplant. One of my favorites. 3rd Av and about 75th St. Moderate.

Aero - Bay Ridge Italian full of Bay Ridge Italians with a contemporay Italian menu and an excellent kitchen that compares favorably with the best of Manhattan. Valet parking, not cheap, busy and always very good.

Tomasso's - 86th St. - Famous for arias sung by the owner, 'the boys' hanging out, and good cooking too. Have an early Sunday dinner to get you in the mood for The Sorpranos.

Al Di La - 5th & Carroll - Mario Batali called this one of his favorite Italians. Food savvy delicious cooking, no reservations, and a new wine bar. I always enjoy the food here - it's one of the best places in the whole city for this kind of cooking. Worth a trip. Owner/chef Anna Klinger and her husband Emiliano Coppa are dedicated serious foodies.

Sahara, King of Shish Kebob - Coney island Avenue @ Ave T - this is our default restaurant - always happy to go here. Still hot from the oven great bread, very good salad and well flavored and grilled meats. Try the excellent grilled 'bone' chicken (dark meat). In the summer its large backyard garden makes for one of the most pleasant evenings I know. Part of Brooklyn's burgeoning Turkish restaurant scene. Well priced/good value

Taci Beyti - Another Coney Island Turkish where the menu is more about cooking than just grilling. Good food/good value.

Koram - 4th Ave bet 85/86th St. Looks like a fast food/pizza parlor, but has serious Middle

Eastern cooking for the ME community. Good sandwiches (gyro and others) worth a stop when in the hood (around the corner from Century 21 for any shoppers out there).

Large Chinese restaurant (the name changed & I never remember the new one) at the SE corner of 6th Ave & 61st St. Two blocks off Brooklyn Chinatown's main drag (8th Ave), this renovated industrial space is a very large Cantonese serving worthwhile dim sum and modestly priced dinner until late (2 AM?).

DiFara's - J & 15th. Pizza. The round pies are really good, but the square pies are some of the best pizza anywhere. Artisanally crafted, one by one, using the best ingredients, be prepared to wait too long even for a slice. I'm a sausage guy but here I go for the excellent pepperoni. For a whole pie, order one hour ahead by phone, show up 15 minutes after the pie is supposed to be ready, then be prepared to wait more. The calzone is expensive (relatively) and worth it. As some eGulleters already know, Dominic (THE man) will also make other Italian food (rabbit etc.) by special arrangement. It's worth it, but the digs are pretty funky.

Junior's - Fashionable to trash but the cheescake really is good (see todays NY Times), and the chargrilled burgers are typically excellent and typically cooked a bit more than you want - don't hesitate to send them back and get a rarer one if that's what you like (and I do). Where else can you get an ice cream soda, let alone a Hoboken?

Yes, Queen and Noodle Pudding are places you can really eat, and Los Pollitos II on 5th Avenue does have really tasty rotisserie chicken that is virtually always just freshly cooked and removed from the spit, and @ $8.95 for a whole one served in house it's a gigantic bargain. Their guacamole is good too - just that at $7.95 it costs almost as much as that whole chicken. Quick, easy, and tasty.

Szechuan Delight - 7th Avenue in Park Slope - Edible for neighborhood Chinese with pretty good old-fashioned American style egg rolls.

That's all for now folks!

Thanks Ed for a great post. I haven't heard of many of those places but you make them all sound inviting.

I'd also like to endorse Ed's support for Junior's, and not just for the deservedly famous cheesecake. Sunday brunch is a pleasure there, for the friendly service, and even more so for the basket of delicious mini-Danishes. I often take visitors to Junior's as a 'Brooklyn experience' and it never fails to please. The only black mark I'd give the place is for the introduction of one of those irritating bathroom attendants.

Large Chinese restaurant (the name changed & I never remember the new one) at the SE corner of 6th Ave & 61st St. Two blocks off Brooklyn Chinatown's main drag (8th Ave), this renovated industrial space is a very large Cantonese serving worthwhile dim sum and modestly priced dinner until late (2 AM?).

Thank you, Ed. When the weather is better, I hope to explore more of Sunset Park and Bay Ridge. Any notable Chinese spots on 8th Ave in Sunset Park ,or in the Avenue X Chinatown?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Great post, Ed! If you have the time, I'd love it if you'd also make some comments on some of the places others have already covered, because I'd like to know what you think of them.

And if you have some recommendations for Queens, I'd love to see them in the Queens Best thread.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've also heard good things on eGullet about Dafonte's, a spot for heros in Red Hook. But I can't find anything on the Internet about where it is!

Aha! Not Dafonte's, Defonte's.

jj,

I tried a half of a hero from Defonte the other day and it was pretty solid. 12 inches for $8, italian meats, pickled vegetables and thin breaded egglant...

I want to try the roast beef next.

Place is very old school. Very much a nabe standby was my feeling.

-MJR

Brooklyn, NY, USA

jj,

I tried a half of a hero from Defonte the other day and it was pretty solid. 12 inches for $8, italian meats, pickled vegetables and thin breaded egglant...

-MJR

Nice! What kind of bread do they use?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Apparently Brooklyn is going to have its own Restaurant Week featuring restaurants in various Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Thanks for the link, Moopheus.

Which places do you think this $18.98 menu will be the best value? (I ask that partly in view of the likelihood that many places on the list are fairly cheap without going for the special price.)

Michael aka "Pan"

Apparently Brooklyn is going to have its own Restaurant Week featuring restaurants in various Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Thanks for the link, Moopheus.

Which places do you think this $18.98 menu will be the best value? (I ask that partly in view of the likelihood that many places on the list are fairly cheap without going for the special price.)

I guess it's nice of places to volunteer themselves but why would I need to spend 18.98 at La Rosa & Sons, Schnack, Two Boots (!), Aunt Suzie's for example.

Places that I would consider might do a good RW prix fixe or represent value given their usual price:

-Quercy

-Blue Ribbon / sushi

-Rose Water

-Thomas Biesl

-Cucina

-Minnow

-Downtown Atlantic (I'll be checking this out.)

I am interested to hear if anyone would recommend a trip to one of the places in Bay Ridge or Billyburg (not planeat thai)

Cheers

-MJR

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I am interested to hear if anyone would recommend a trip to one of the places in Bay Ridge or Billyburg (not planeat thai).

The only WB restaurant on that list that seems worth it is Miss Williamsburg Diner, one of two great Italian places in the neighborhood (the other being Aurora). I would have to think it would be worth it, especially if their lasagna bolognese is on the menu.

Speaking of Aurora (Grand @ Wythe), they've started to do brunch and it's quickly risen to rival Oznot's as the best place to go in the WB for it. There's a $16.95 pre-fixe with two courses, coffee/tea and mimosa/bloody marry. You can order anything off the pre fixe a la carte and there is a separate a la carte brunch menu as well.

The chef/owner actually cooks the brunch shift too. In a very homey touch, they set out nice table with breads, jams and nutella.

I've gone three times and nothing I've gotten has been less than very good and some of it has been downright excellent. Anything they do with eggs is worth getting The scrambled eggs are creamy and curdy, with an oatmeal-like texture and are served with these light potato pancakes, creme freche and either house-cured salmon or white beans. I also really liked the grilled asparagus with shaved parmigano reggiano, a delicate poached egg and hint of truffle oil. (a first course of the pre fixe menu).

But Aurora's version of steak and eggs is the real reason to go. I'm not sure what cut it was but it wasn't shell or skirt. This was served blood-rare and it was tender and flavorful. It came with a poached egg on a piece of toasted brioche that was just about egg heaven. Plus a little salad. (also on the pre fixe but was $11.95 on it's own).

I live about a block and a half from this place but I'd certainly be just as in love it it was further away. Best of all, I don't think word is out on brunch at this place and you can stroll in at 12:30 on sunday and be seated right away.

You can check out their regular dinner menu here.

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I haven't been to most of the places listed, and indeed, most of the ones I have you can eat in for less that $20. For example, 2nd St. Cafe has a regular 3-course prix fixe for $15.95. I've been meaning to go to Rose Water, which is two blocks from me, so this may be my excuse.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Junior's - Fashionable to trash but the cheescake really is good (see todays NY Times),

They have the best egg salad sandwhiches I've had in New York. And always fun for Sunday brunch.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I haven't been to most of the places listed, and indeed, most of the ones I have you can eat in for less that $20. For example, 2nd St. Cafe has a regular 3-course prix fixe for $15.95. I've been meaning to go to Rose Water, which is two blocks from me, so this may be my excuse.

A dinner at Rose Water would definitely be a good value at 18.98!

Now we get to see how Brooklyn works their restaurant week!

Bring on the good values and we shall bring on the patronage!

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Brooklyn restaurant week, eh?

Bay Ridge, I'd recommend Tuscany Grill. They have lovely food, and are very sweet people -- I've had a few family events there.

I have to agree on Williamsburg -- Miss Williamsburg is one of those places that I love, but I always seem to get sticker shock. The food is worth the price, and the ingredients are tip-top, but Restaurant Week pricing would be refreshing there.

My one experience at io burned me on it forevermore.

I read on Schnack's blog that their $18.98 special is for two, and includes everything from beer to coffee. Smart twist on the special price -- I had been wondering how they'd make it worth it.

-Joy

jj,

-MJR

Are we talking real deal salumi or Boar's Head on that sandwich? And is the bread crusty?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

jj,

-MJR

Are we talking real deal salumi or Boar's Head on that sandwich? And is the bread crusty?

The real deal salumi and the bread was crusty as they come and seeded to boot.

I want to go back and try the roast beef straight up.

-mjr

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I want to go back and try the roast beef straight up.

-mjr

A birthday roast beef sandwich? Sounds good. :wink:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

• 1 month later...
Sahara, King of Shish Kebob - Coney island Avenue @ Ave T - this is our default restaurant - always happy to go here. Still hot from the oven great bread, very good salad and well flavored and grilled meats. Try the excellent grilled 'bone' chicken (dark meat). In the summer its large backyard garden makes for one of the most pleasant evenings I know. Part of Brooklyn's burgeoning Turkish restaurant scene. Well priced/good value

I had a very pleasant lunch in Sahara's back garden yesterday. My friend brilliantly suggested we make a lunchtime run to Totonno's. Not so brilliantly, we failed to check beforehand if they are open Tuesdays. (They aren't.) But we recovered well.

I've never been to Turkey, so I can't say the restaurant makes you feel like you're in Turkey, but spacious back deck with its grape vines certainly makes you feel like you're not in New York City.

We shared a delightfuly smoky eggplant salad and good lamb kebab. I thought the pide bread was fine but nothing to write home about. My friend assured me it tastes just like the stuff in Turkey.

The real deal at Sahara is only available for takeout. You can get a big kebab sandwich on the pide bread with other stuff jammed in for something like $5.95. If you sit, you're stuck with entrees in the $10-15 range, although that's not such a bad place to be stuck.

I think this restaurant, which is pretty spacious inside as well, would be a great place to hold an eGullet "Brooklyn Mobilize!" party some day.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

i wonder if its related to the Saharas on 27th and 2nd ave in Manhatten

(also turkish, also excellent, also has the five dollar take out sandwich and 15 dollar entree.....)

interesting,

one of my fave places for delivery in my hood, great bread (pide?), best baba i've had in manhatten (onlyplace that gets it smoky charry enuf), no joke, if they have a spicy vegatable appetizer that knocks your socks off, they've got to be the same owners.....

but then again it could just be a turkish thang....