• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Mobilize!

jogoode

On Saturday I went with friends to Gargiulo's in Coney Island. The driver of the groups was very pleased that there was valet parking available across the street from the restaurant. Evidently, parking is an issue (particularly in Bay Ridge) on weekends. The restaurant boasts a very large space with a high ceiling so, despite the crowds, the acoustic is bearable. The mixed appetizers of fried eggplant, stuffed roast peppers, spinach souffle (the other items I did not try) were good, but not great. Likewise, the pork chops and veal chop were solid. The calamari was a disappointment--a large plate of deepfried squid with marinara on the side. Also fair were the desserts--miniature cannoli, cream puffs. Nice room and atmosphere, and the elderly Italian-American waiter was charming and attentive. As I live in Manhattan, and can find better Italian there that is not nearly as expenxive as Gargiulo's, I will not be making a special trip to West 15th Street any time soon.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

For those interested in Shwarma, I recommend Famous Pita on Coney Island Avenue between Ditmars and Newkirk. I haven't been in over a year, but I recall that FP is a kosher joint run by Yemeni Jews. Excellent accompaniments to the shwarma (fresh peppers, pickels, pickled cabbage, tahini, tablouli, babba ganoush..the whole nine yards and then some) or falafel. The Pita is large, fresh and won't break apart even if you jam the thing full. Or for larger appetites, a large piece of flat bread is the option(I don't know the name for this type of bread but it looks like Afgan bread) into which you can load twice the extras as you do with the large pita (Burp! :wacko: ).

I went to a Kosher Satmar restaurant three years ago in Williamsburg called Gottlieb's and have been dreamng about the goulash ever since. :wub: As I went with a Williamsburg native, I can't remember the location of the place. Has anyone been?

It seems like Gargiulo's has been around forever. I had an enjoyable birthday dinner there in 1980, I think.

The place, like Lundy's in Sheepshead bay, oozes nostalgia. Yet I get the impression that the menu is a bit tired.

i wonder if its related to the Saharas on 27th and 2nd ave in Manhatten

(also turkish, also excellent, also has the five dollar take out sandwich and 15 dollar entree.....)

So that's why the Sahara in Brooklyn has big signs outside saying "This is the one and only Sahara restaurant in New York..." or something to that effect.

Sounds like they're unrelated, and that the Brooklyn restaurant is none too pleased about the rival in Manhattan.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

The Pita is large, fresh and won't break apart even if you jam the thing full. Or for larger appetites, a large piece of flat bread is the option(I don't know the name for this type of bread but it looks like Afgan bread) into which you can load twice the extras as you do with the large pita (Burp! :wacko: ).

sounds yummy....i don't know but when you order schwarma in the big pita in israel its a "lafa" i don't know if that's how you spell it, but i dream about those stands...in the big cities they would have up to 20 bowls of condiments for you to add stuff to yourself...

so good. I want it now. its 4am...breakfast?

It seems like Gargiulo's has been around forever. I had an enjoyable birthday dinner there in 1980, I think.

The place, like Lundy's in Sheepshead bay, oozes nostalgia. Yet I get the impression that the menu is a bit tired.

It already oozed nostalgia in 1980, but that's not a bad thing unless a place is no longer serving good food. Totonno's and Katz's also ooze nostalgia, and they are not just riding on old reputations.

We agree on Lundy's. I was taken there for a meal my dining partners from Sheepshead Bay agreed was typical, and it was nothing much. The room and ambiance, on the other hand, probably made it worth going there once.

Michael aka "Pan"

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the food at Gargiulo's was bad. It was good, but not great. What I meant by the menu being tired was it was very standard and the presentation, appearance, and flavors did not sweep anyone away.

Well, even though my birthday meal way back when was very satisfying, I never went a second time. Of course, in those days, I was living on the Upper West Side, and the trip was even a lot longer than it would be if I went from my current location in the East Village. I'd rather go back to Bay Ridge to go to Tanoreen again.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've been going to El Cibao, on Smith Street, a lot lately. It's a Dominican restaurant, I think, all I order over and over is the roast pork (pernil) with rice and beans. It's excellent and $7 will get you a heaping platter that two can share. Actually today I had roast chicken, which was pretty good but a bit dry, with a side of broiled green bananas. The first time I went, I asked about the ghostly white logs in the steam table were and the woman at the counter let me try a piece of the broiled bananas. They are starchy, a bit sweet and a bit salty.

On docsconz's reccomendation, I tried the panelle (sandwich with ricotta and salty shred of another cheese) with potato croquettes -- small but filling. It was excellent, and the place looks great inside. Really old school. Has anyone tried the cooked food there?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The Pita is large, fresh and won't break apart even if you jam the thing full. Or for larger appetites, a large piece of flat bread is the option(I don't know the name for this type of bread but it looks like Afgan bread) into which you can load twice the extras as you do with the large pita (Burp!  :wacko: ).

sounds yummy....i don't know but when you order schwarma in the big pita in israel its a "lafa" i don't know if that's how you spell it, but i dream about those stands...in the big cities they would have up to 20 bowls of condiments for you to add stuff to yourself...

so good. I want it now. its 4am...breakfast?

As a matter of fact, the condiments at Famous Pita are self-serve in a large buffet line that leads from the counter where they give you the pita/lafa and the schwarma to the cash register. There they sell you an empty cup and you can refill on soda ad libitum... :wacko:

• 5 weeks later...

We were driving back from my in-laws in New Jersey this evening and lamenting the fact that we were in our car on such a beautiful day, when it suddenly occurred to us to go to Alma in Red Hook/Cobble Hill.

This is a Mexican restaurant on the far side of the BQE ditch, on Columbia at DeGraw. The real reason we went was for the atmosphere. The restaurant has fifteen to twenty tables on its third-floor roof deck, which features a view of the harbor and lower Manhattan. Half of the tables are shaded by an awning. It's not a large space, but it's intelligently designed and it was really the perfect spot in which to spend the early evening on a night like tonight.

The food wouldn't have to be anything special to justify a visit, especially for a family like ours. (We arrived at 6:00 p.m., and found several other families with small children eating there.) But the menu, while pricy for Mexican food ($15 entrees), is better than the NYC average. The guac is a bit on the bland side, but it tastes very fresh. It is eaten with a spoon. (Just kidding there, Amanda!) The table salsa (which has a nice bite and appears to be made in-house) and the pico de gallo were both very good. I had an excellent pork with mole, and the flan I had for dessert was really really good-- I'd go back just for their take on flan. The custard had a wondeful texture and it sat in a delicious, peppery, minty caramel. (The flan really is eaten with a spoon.)

We were driving back from my in-laws in New Jersey this evening and lamenting the fact that we were in our car on such a beautiful day, when it suddenly occurred to us to go to Alma in Red Hook/Cobble Hill.

This is a Mexican restaurant on the far side of the BQE ditch, on Columbia at DeGraw. The real reason we went was for the atmosphere. The restaurant has fifteen to twenty tables on its third-floor roof deck, which features a view of the harbor and lower Manhattan. Half of the tables are shaded by an awning. It's not a large space, but it's intelligently designed and it was really the perfect spot in which to spend the early evening on a night like tonight.

The food wouldn't have to be anything special to justify a visit, especially for a family like ours. (We arrived at 6:00 p.m., and found several other families with small children eating there.) But the menu, while pricy for Mexican food ($15 entrees), is better than the NYC average. The guac is a bit on the bland side, but it tastes very fresh. It is eaten with a spoon. (Just kidding there, Amanda!) The table salsa (which has a nice bite and appears to be made in-house) and the pico de gallo were both very good. I had an excellent pork with mole, and the flan I had for dessert was really really good-- I'd go back just for their take on flan. The custard had a wondeful texture and it sat in a delicious, peppery, minty caramel. (The flan really is eaten with a spoon.)

Red Hook/Carroll Gardens?

Did you have any problems getting roof accomodations at Alma?

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Red Hook/Carroll Gardens?

These dividing lines are less than clear. It's all Red Hook, really, isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

The NY Times this week has a $25 & Under review of Kombit, a Haitian restaurant on Flatbush Avenue at Prospect. The review is positive. Anyone been?

• 1 month later...
I just moved to (or, I should say, I'm staying for a while in) Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. I never thought living in BK would keep me out of Manhattan, but it kind of has. For the last few weeks, I haven't eaten in Manh. except for a couple of F-train trips to Katz's, a trip to the 2nd Ave. Deli, some takoyaki at Otafuku on East 9th Street, and a trip to Beyoglu (for great cacik and ezme among other things) before a concert at the Met. Museum.

I love exploring Sunset Park and Midwood as much as the next eGulleteer, but I'm trying to find good places in and around my neighborhood to prepare for the winter months. (Although I know I'll trek to DUMBO for Torres hot chocolate)

I've been eating often at the Bedouin Tent, a small restaurant on Atlantic Ave. near Bond St., next to the dirt-cheap and competent French bistro, Bacchus. Bedouin is related to a few other restaurants, I think, one on Atlantic and one in Park Slope. The Merguez sandwich was very good, but not as good as their fine lambojim, pitza with ground lamb, tomato, parsley. Every piece of bread I've eaten there came right out of the oven, perfectly crisp while still slightly doughy. Good lentil soup and harira.

Whenever I'm in Brooklyn Heights around breakfast time, I grab some tripe soup at Teresa's, on Montague. It's usually ready around 10 am. I've only once been to Noodle Pudding but was very happy with well-roasted, crisp-skinned half-chicken.

Smith Street's Paninoteca 275 served panini to rival Bread in Soho, and thankfully without the scene. They are serving a spicy sausage and lentil stew this winter, which I have not tried, because I prefer to approximate the dish on my own with sausage from Esposito's Pork Store on Court Street.

Charming Chestnut, on Smith Street, seemed rather ambitious for its size, so I stopped in for excellent grilled sweetbreads with pistachio relish. Wines by the glass are solid and to start they served bread with a high-quality herbed butter and pickles, both made in house. Fried semolina gnocchi with bacon and pumpkin and rutabaga ravioli are a couple dishes lined up for my next trip. They'll cost me something like $7 each. I think this may be the restaurant with the most potential. The chef is Savoy alum David Wurth.

I haven't gotten to eat out as much as I'd like, but there seems to be a lot to try. Bar Tabac serves a fine burger. I haven't tried the infamous Grocery. I'm going to try Sample tonight, that little Smith Street restaurant that spends more time sourcing than cooking. Inexpensive and interesting wine by the glass, cheese from Artisanal, and preserved/canned treats from Italy, Lebanon, Japan, Spain.... I'll report later tonight.

Has anyone been to any of these places and care to comment? I think Suzanne F once mentioned a meal at Bar Tabac.

On a jaunt to Atlantic Avenue with my girlfriend we stopped by Bedouin Tent @405 Atlantic Ave and Bond Street (718-852-5555). Great food, especially the Pita and the lentil soup. I had the Foul and it was very tasty. The mint tea was also very good. There was this great middle eastern gypsy violin music that was played on the stereo system during the meal. I really enjoyed the place.

My girlfriend, although she like the food, thought the restaurant was a bit unkept and grungy. The tables were not wiped when we sat down and the basket that the Pita was served seemed a bit dusty/dirty.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of recent dining notes from Brooklyn:

Paid another visit to Dafonte's sandwich shop and tried the Roast Beef with Fried Eggplant and Provolone. Unfortunately not as characteristic as other sandwiches I have tried there. Both the more traditional italian sandwiches that my sister and gf got were better. The pickled peppers they add to sandwiches are to die for. The fried eggplant adds a substantial weight to all the sandwiches it is featured on, but I suggest sometimes is better not adding. The sandwich bread, meats and fixings remain top notch and make Dafontes one of the best sandwich shops in Brooklyn that I've visited. Dafonte's is on Columbia Street in Red Hook. The counter guys are really friendly and are true blue Mets fans.

----

Had Sunday before labor day dinner at Queen on Court Street (above Atlantic Avenue), my first visit. Very impressed. A special menu for the day we dined was adorned with specials from the sea, the land and the noodle. We opted for an escarole appetizer to split -- sauteed with golden raisins, garlic, and pinenuts. Fantastic and spooned out to two serving plates by the waiter. Queen has the style of the white table Italians of old.

I opted for a pasta special -- 'Paccheri al Forno', Rigatoni with fresh peas and proscuitto. Piping hot from the oven, this creamy homespun dish was thick rigatoni (not homemade I think) with rich cream and chunks of proscuitto. I'm afraid it outshone my companion's Linguine alla Vongole, which though it was a well turned rendition with whole fresh clams, lacked the same oomph.

We followed with a fresh fig gelato which wasn't creamy enough for our taste but still hit the spot. I saw another table receive an order of Italian cheesecake which was portioned for a linebacker. I was sorely tempted.

A couple of other highlights:

-diverse fresh bread basket which was enhanced midway through our appetizer by the addition of warm parmesan rolls, sort of cheese zeppoles. Delicious.

-most perfect espresso I've had outside of the mother country

At $72 + tip for a sunday dinner for two with 2 glasses of wine, it's not exactly cheap, but with this level of service it's well worth it. Everything I thought Marco Polo might have been when I came to the nabe.

Cheers

-MJR :biggrin:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

glad to see there is a bk board here...

i wanted to check and see if anyone had been to the new spanish tapas place in williamsburg on grand...i believe its called zipi zape. in walking by once a couple weeks ago, it seemed super spanish (they had the glass cases housing the tapas on the bar just as they do all over spain), which i love...was wondering how the food actually tastes. anyone been?

i also must put in my plug for moto on broadway under the JMZ. its a sliver of a place, very european feeling to me. their brunch, although short on options (they do have a continental style buffet at the bar), included the most wonderful poached egg and perfectly thick smoked bacon. dinner is great too...get the deviled eggs stuffed w. tuna.

Zipi Zape totally rocks. I have eaten my way up and down the menu, and have been utterly delighted. I was sad when Nar, the previous Turkish mezze place in the space, closed, but man, do those little Spanish cartoon twins know how to make tapas.

I love being able to get a single item for a buck or so, rather than ordering a plateful of the same thing for $8 -- true mix and matchability.

Fabulous boquerones, love the tortilla gallega, -- everything is very fresh and made with care.

Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions.

Word to the wise: if you sit at the bar next to the Torta del Casar, don't lift the glass hood. Really. Don't.

-Joy

i wanted to check and see if anyone had been to the new spanish tapas place in williamsburg on grand...i believe its called zipi zape.  in walking by once a couple weeks ago, it seemed super spanish (they had the glass cases housing the tapas on the bar just as they do all over spain), which i love...was wondering how the food actually tastes.  anyone been?

I live about half a block from Zipe Zape and I'm there a LOT and agree it's great. It's the same owners as Nar and the chef was formerly at Alioli. I haven't had anything bad there, though their monkfish liver dish is a little bland.

The best thing, I think, is their fried baby calamari. the batter/breading is the lightest i've ever had, better than the best tempura i've ever had.

The kitchen closes at 11pm but you can get the cold stuff all night. When you order you get whole pickled garlic as a freebie. Crunchy, delicious, with no garlicy aftertaste/problems.

They have good specials as well. Last night I had fish gills that were cooked in a teracotta dish with lots of garlic and chilies. Very succulent.

Cold stuff runs about $1 - $4 a piece; hot items are about $8 each but are much bigger portions. Nice Spanish wine selection, most available by the glass. Full bar, sidewalk seating as well.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We had a great meal last weekend at Ici, which is located on DeKalb just off of Vanderbilt Ave. in Ft. Greene.

It's a French Bistro, but the menu includes numerous pan-Mediterranean touches. I had a lovely beet salad with yougurt appetizer and a delicious (if maybe a touch too sweet) braised pork shoulder with pecans and roasted brussels sprouts (which I usually can't stand).

I'm looking forward to going back in a month or two and sitting in their garden.

We had a great meal last weekend at Ici, which is located on DeKalb just off of Vanderbilt Ave. in Ft. Greene.

It's a French Bistro, but the menu includes numerous pan-Mediterranean touches.  I had a lovely beet salad with yougurt appetizer and a delicious (if maybe a touch too sweet) braised pork shoulder with pecans and roasted brussels sprouts (which I usually can't stand). 

I'm looking forward to going back in a month or two and sitting in their garden.

Ici is one of my favorite restaurants in Brooklyn. I haven't been in many months so it's a good thing you're mentionning it, it reminds me I am due for another visit.

Here is their Website

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler