• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most overrated holiday food

fresco

I ditto everything listed so far, and add jello salad type dishes.

Hopefully this includes the tomato aspic that my mother plops next to my otherwise gorgeous plate of holiday food. Yuk. :angry:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Flavored coffees. Irish cream is meant to come from a bottle and then directly into a shot glass in the bottom of a Guinness, not a pre-ground bean. And calling it Creme de Eirland doesn't make it any better.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Hi everyone --

Egg nog is the worst in my opinion. The prepared stuff you buy is bad, but the worst was being served home-made egg nog at a colleagues Christmas party.

Egg nog was made, of course, with raw eggs and apparently not chilled properly......one way to insure people never come back, poison them all! I have not been able to touch the stuff since!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Christmas Pudding and mincemeat. Disgusting. It's bad enough they taste like s***, but they also look like s*** !!

I don't mind eggnog, but in small quantities, so you've got to have a high concentration of some good spiced rum in it. And it's got to be the "full fat" variety, not the light version. Canned cranberries with "real" cranberries in it are OK, but I don't like the kind that slurps out of the can and manages to retain its can shape.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Christmas Pudding and mincemeat. Disgusting. It's bad enough they taste like s***, but they also look like s*** !!

Oh yeah, mincemeat! The bane of my childhood! As a child we used to eat only the brandy sauce for the Christmas pudding.....

For years I collected books illustrated by Edward Gorey (watch the opening title sequence to PBS Mystery if you are unfamiliar with his work).

One of his best Christmas card illustartions were Gorey-esque Victorian characters (a man, a young girl, a lady, a dog, and a young boy with sled), all bringing their Fruitcrakes to a hole sawed into a frozen body of water. The man was already dropping his into the dark, inviting hole and the intent of the others was obvious...

Brilliant way to divest one's self of Fruitcake, in my opionion.

:laugh: Can be used as a weapon, or a dog chew toy in a pinch as well.....

Chestnuts.

I want to like them--"roasting on an open fire", and all that--but both times I have had them right off the fire (once outside the Victoria and Albert Museum, where I was struck with the whole atmosphere of the vendor with his roaster on the street..), I nearly had to spit them out onto the ground. Mealy, musty and mushy--what's to like? Have had them fresh, vacuum-packed, canned and pureeed...I don't get chestnuts!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

mint-flavored Christmas marshmallow peeps (oh wait, I don't think they make those yet)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

:laugh: Can be used as a weapon...

Apparently so, as you are no longer allowed to take them on airplanes in your carry-on luggage.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Chestnuts.

I want to like them--"roasting on an open fire", and all that--but both times I have had them right off the fire (once outside the Victoria and Albert Museum, where I was struck with the whole atmosphere of the vendor with his roaster on the street..), I nearly had to spit them out onto the ground. Mealy, musty and mushy--what's to like? Have had them fresh, vacuum-packed, canned and pureeed...I don't get chestnuts!

I'm totally with you on this. Chestnuts are for squirrels and chipmunks, not for human consumption.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Okay, here's one to balance out all the goyishe stuff:

CHANUKAH GELT.

I mean, why eat shitty chocolate that is a major pain in the ass to eat? Its enclosed in these rediculous foil wrappers that you need to have dragon nails to open. And by the time you get it open its all melty from you handling it, or the stuff is so old that its totally bloomed out.

Is there GOOD chanukah gelt out there? I doubt it.

EDIT: Okay maybe these are decent:

http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/php...W=hanukkah_gelt

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Okay, here's one to balance out all the goyishe stuff:

CHANUKAH GELT.

I mean, why eat shitty chocolate that is a major pain in the ass to eat? Its enclosed in these rediculous foil wrappers that you need to have dragon nails to open. And by the time you get it open its all melty from you handling it, or the stuff is so old that its totally bloomed out.

Is there GOOD chanukah gelt out there? I doubt it.

EDIT: Okay maybe these are decent:

http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/php...W=hanukkah_gelt

Good chanukah gelt?

How about a box of chocolate from Maison du Chocolate - Vosges - whatever. Put it in a bag and write gelt on it. Because that's what it costs - a lot of gelt :smile: . Life is too short to eat bad chocolate. Robyn

Turkey.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

That green bean casserole with the cream of mushroom soup and the canned fried onions. What's up with that?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.