• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wasabi Root at Mitsuwa

budrichard

On my way back from Pheasant Run west of Chicago stopped at Mitsua in Arlington Heights for my usual shopping for Japanese ingrediants and alcohol. Besides the selection of superb quality fruits and vegetables, they had whole fresh Wasabi root. Two roots went into my cart. Came home, broke out the Sashmi 'Yanagi' knife, cut the fish, cooked the rice, peeled and grated the Wasabi root, made sashimi selections and two bowls of Chirashi. For those that have never had fresh grated Wasabi, there is no comparison to any other product. The root is fresh, not overly hot, a little crunchy and just grate(pun!). You get fresh Wasabi at Heat, Murai and other high end Sushi restaurants but this is the first time I have found it fresh in the midwest.

Mitsua no longer carries 'Kobe Style' beef. Butcher told me that there was low demand. An indication that the Japanese really like our beef especially at the prices.

If you purchase Japanese beer at the liquor area, be aware that most is now 'imported' from Canada. Kirin is actually produced by Bud in Los Angeles! They still have some cases of Saphoro Silver and Reserve from Japan but that is going, at least two cases went into my wagon and Asahi 'Super Dry' in the liter cans is still available from Japan which meant another case into the wagon. Glad I have Volvo wagons because with the large cooler full of fish and meat, bags of fruit and veggies along with the beer and bottles of assorted condiments I still had room to spare.

They also have a good selection of 'Jun Mai' Sake.

I spent an hour in the store and didn't even touch the book store or the restaurant area. Only store i know of that has crushed ice available for your perishables and understands how to pack the Sashimi quality fish seperate from other items. Only regret is that was no Toro or quail eggs. I think I am spoiled? -Dick

Mitsua no longer carries 'Kobe Style' beef. Butcher told me that there was low demand. An indication that the Japanese really like our beef especially at the prices.

The Kobe Style beef available at Mitsuwa is not bred in Japan, since it is illegal to import Beef from Japan to the US, hence "Kobe-Style". I have had Kobe Beef on numerous occasions in the US at both restaruants and purchased and cooked at home and I have always been disappointed, it is not as good as what is available in Japan and it is way too expensive.

Only regret is that was no Toro or quail eggs. I think I am spoiled

Surprised that they did not have Toro, Mitsuwa in Edgewater in NJ always have it, both Chu-toro and Oh-Toro and in a couple of grades.

The Kobe Style beef available at Mitsuwa is not bred in Japan, since it is illegal to import Beef from Japan to the US, hence "Kobe-Style".

Was aware of the first part of your statement, but not the second.

If that is true, I was lied to at Sushi Samba recently. They served a Kobe "sashimi". I asked the mgr if it was Kobe from Japan, he said yes.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

are they going to have wasabi in stock all of the time? is it japanese or from the pacific NW?

one of the things i love about mitsuwa is the employees are very friendly.

Don't know where it was from, but it was the real thing! Sometimes communication is a little difficult not because of the Japanese language barrier entirely but the Spanish language barrier. Luckily the butcher is occidental.

Sweet Willie: I have never been able to find REAL Kobe beef for sale in the US. Some of it is raised in the US, shipped to Japan live and finished in the prefecture of Kobe. Best I have done is Waygu, not frozen from Lobels that they get from Australia. -Dick

Sweet Willie: I have never been able to find REAL Kobe beef for sale in the US. Some of it is raised in the US, shipped to Japan live and finished in the prefecture of Kobe.

I never heard of cattle being shipped to Japan and finished in Kobe. Are the cows finished immediately after arrival in Japan or do they spend some time getting beer-feed and massaged? If you have a link I would really appreciate it. I must try it on my next trip to Japan.

I never heard of cattle being shipped to Japan and finished in Kobe. Are the cows finished immediately after arrival in Japan or do they spend some time getting beer-feed and massaged? If you have a link I would really appreciate it.

Sinbad,

Posted a response to you (with links) at this new thread:

Kobe Beef, Wagyu Cows, Matsuzaka Beef, and Kobe Style Beef, the Lowdown

see www.freshwasabi.com for lots more info, and you can order from them as well. A few years back I read an article (can't remember where- National Geographic, perhaps?) about this farm- apparently, growing wasabi is so difficult that they had spies trying to discover their tricks! No joke, they reported low-flying planes sweeping over their crop and New Zeeland's Minister of Agriculture (I think) trying to scale their fence. Pretty crazy stuff.

see www.freshwasabi.com for lots more info, and you can order from them as well. A few years back I read an article (can't remember where- National Geographic, perhaps?) about this farm- apparently, growing wasabi is so difficult that they had spies trying to discover their tricks! No joke, they reported low-flying planes sweeping over their crop and New Zeeland's Minister of Agriculture (I think) trying to scale their fence. Pretty crazy stuff.

They do not ship fresh wasabi root except as plants for growing. They do ship a paste but that is different. -Dick

[Good to hear fresh wasabi is making it's way in to markets. This is hopefully just the beginning.

How much did you have to fork out for it?]Quote

Tru in Chicago has been using Fresh Wasabi Root-grated tableside-for a while now. ANy idea what other restaurants in town might be in synch?

All the high end Sushi places such as Heat and Murai have been using it since they opened.

BTW, if you want to know or purchase truly high end knives for Sushi/Sashimi email me and I will tell you about them. Bring your AMEX card because they go for upwards of $2-3KUS. -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

Hi-end japanese knives, check out www.korin.com, go into the japanese knife store. And yes bring your AMEX because the no pre set spending limit comes in handy. Check out the korin site for mandolines, they are the cheapest I've found anywhere, even with the shipping. Northwestern Cutlery in chicago has started to expand their selection, very reasonably priced MAC knives, (for how long?) and a small selection of some other knives. :smile:

Patrick Sheerin

Probably the best web site out there for Japanese knives, but for artizan knives produced in single person shops which almost never get out of Japan, I used Murray Carter, a Canadian knifemaker living in Japan as a broker for the knife I purchased. Forged Hitachi #1 polished steel, ebony handle and scabbard with ivory inlays. Cuts like a dream but in reality not much different from a commercial Japanese 'Yanagi' that I have. -Dick

Luckily the butcher is occidental.

he's an american indian?

Merium-Webster on-line:

Main Entry: oc·ci·den·tal

Pronunciation: "äk-s&-'den-t&l

Function: adjective

Usage: often capitalized

Date: 14th century

1 : of, relating to, or situated in the Occident : WESTERN

2 : of or relating to Occidentals

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Do they sell high-end knives at Mitsuwa? Kasumi, Hattori, etc.

I know it's an old post but just in case you're still looking...

J Toguri Merchantile on Belmont carries Mac knives - it's just about at Belmont and Clark - they have all versions from Original to Ultimate as well as several other knives and pieces of Japanese cookware - oshi zushi presses, nigiri molds, cast iron Irori pots... etc.

You can find the Ryusen/Hattori Knives on Ebay or here:

http://www.bladegallery.com/knives/type.as...nives+for+Chefs

or here:

http://www.worldknives.com/manufacturer.asp?manuid=24

At Mitsuwa I have also gotten fresh Yuzu when it is in season - though it's pretty expensive and goes pretty fast - amazing that they carry it ever.

Edited by sizzleteeth (log)

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

Another thing to keep an eye out for at Mitsuwa: my wife and I stopped by there on August 28th (for her Calpico fix) and the parking lot was packed. Turns out, they were cutting up a whole tuna right in the middle of the store! It was fantastic; the guy in charge was filling up a platter with pieces of tuna the size of building blocks. I tried to get word on whether it would happen again and just got shrugs. I suppose it would depend on the profitability of the event. Even with all the people crowding around, I don't know if they could actually sell the whole thing off in just one day. I'll be sure to post immediately if I ever hear about a repeat.

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom