• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FASCINO

Rosie, having never met or been introduced to you, I didn't want to interupt your meal just to introduce myself. Anthony (the dining room manager for those who haven't been) mentioned that you were there. He asked me where I heard about the restaurant, and when I mentioned both egullet and Dining with Rosie, he pointed you out. How do you stay so trim eating out so much??

Anyway, you probably saw us. We were sitting at the two-top on the front of the restaurant . My fiancee (she's the pretty one) was facing you.

Next time I see you I will be sure to introduce myself. Just let me know where you are eating next!! :biggrin:

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Well I guess everyone from eGullet was there on Saturday night. I was there at the same time as Adeguilio and Rosie. My husband and I were in the front room to the right when you come in the door. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and dining experience. My husband had the lamb chops (he loved them) and I had the sea bass special. For appetizers, we both had different pastas. My husband had the penne with the beef and I had the orchietta(?) with the shrimp and artichokes. Very good. Anthony showed us the Star-Ledger review that was coming out the next morning. I guess we'll never get in there now. I'm glad for them. They really deserve it.

Susan

I ate here on Saturday , as well. Very nice place. Great food. Beautiful decor. Decent service, a bit hectic environment. Will try to go mid-week, when they are less overwhelmed.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

So there were 8 eGulleters at this restaurant on Sat. night. PLEASE--if anyone is ever at a restaurant and knows I am there come over and say hello. Or send over a glass of wine especially if you are drinking something REAL good! :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We made it to Fascino's last night. Concerning scarlet knight's comments about the a/c...well, it's still a problem. It was a bit too warm in there for me. The tables were a little close together, but I can understand that. The olive spread amuse Rosie mentioned is small, but very tasty. They also give you a saucer of good olive oil for the bread. We had the braised beef ravioli and crab stuffed zucchini flowers for apps. Both were quite good, but I believe could have been more flavorful. It's hard to explain that, but they were interesting choices that you don't really see every day and I wanted them to have more of a punch. However, the mains were terrific. Since Rosie's husband got the fennel dusted pork twice , I had to try it. I didn't discern much fennel, but the pork was excellent, cooked perfectly with a nice cherry sauce. My wife's olive and garlic crusted salmon was also cooked perfectly and delicious. Unfortunately, neither of our entrees came with a starch (I don't know if any do). For dessert we had the sampler, which I believe was a small serving each of peach gelato, cheesecake, and chocolate cake. Very good. Service was also quite good. The bill came to $100 even before tip. I'll be back in the fall. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the opportunity to visit Fascino, as I took three members of my staff out to thank them for their work over several rough months. It was wonderful, and everything we hoped it would be. As we visited early (5pm) during the week, we were able to take advantage of the prix fixe menu.

We began the meal with an amuse of olive tapenade on homemade crostini, and perfect crusty bread with olive oil. We moved on with organic garden salads with a wonderfully fragrant citrus vinagrette and the special ravioli of the day which I won't do justice to in my description, but it was roast chicken, spinach, and other ingredients I cannot remember in an au jus sauce. For entrees, we had the olive crusted salmon with artichokes, orrechiete with shrimp and artichokes, and rigatoni with wonderful sausage. For dessert, we had the seasonal crostata, which was served today with roasted apples and drizzled with caramel, topped with creme fraiche or vanilla gelato, and the three varieties (in shot glasses!) of panne cotta--one white chocolate port, one almond and one caramel.

The space is relaxing and beautiful, and the service was attentive yet unobtrusive. I noticed no problems with the a/c, even on this humid night, and was very comfortable. We sat in a booth and felt we were adequately spaced from others in the space. I will surely be returning again!

Casey

Edited by Casey (log)

• 2 weeks later...

We returned to Fascino last night and Chef Ryan DePersio's cuisine just keeps getting better and better. We had an outstanding dinner with excellent service starting with an amuse of chopped olive spread on a slice of lightly toasted bread and a basket of crunchy bread and olive oil. Appetizers were vine ripened yellow and red tomatoes with handmade mozzarella; scungeilli and red onion marinated in lemon and extra virgin olive oil; and a special of handmade ravioli filled with shredded beef and taleggio cheese. I wouldn't hesitate to order the ravioli as a main course as it was scrumptious.

Lowell has ordered fennel dusted pork tenderloin with broccolini and sour cherry sauce each time we have dined here. Anthony, the maitre 'd remembered this and told Lowell he had to order something new! Although the pork is Lowell's favorite dish he loved the sage and garlic roasted chicken breast with mascarpone polenta fries. The polenta fries were so addictive that we couldn't just eat one and after we all helped ourselves to Lowell's portion we ordered a side of this most appealing rendition of cornmeal that I have ever had. I had a special of a large slab of perfectly cooked stone bass over romaine served with split cherry tomatoes and pancetta and my cousin had a special of halibut accompanied with a sweet and sour fennel.

Desserts were an apple crostata, hazelnut cake, and biscotti with some paper thin cookies that melted in our mouths. Coffee and cappuccino, both very good, finished the meal which was $109 a couple with tax and tip. Chef Ryan is slowly introducing his fall menu. Be sure to try this wonderful restaurant. Phone: 973-233-0350.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Lowell has ordered fennel dusted pork tenderloin with broccolini and sour cherry sauce each time we have dined here. Anthony, the maitre 'd remembered this and told Lowell he had to order something new!

if lowell is anything he's a creature of habit. what's that one dish that he orders whenever it's on the menu? i forget, and it's been bothering me for some time now.

Lowell has ordered fennel dusted pork tenderloin with broccolini and sour cherry sauce each time we have dined here. Anthony, the maitre 'd remembered this and told Lowell he had to order something new!

if lowell is anything he's a creature of habit. what's that one dish that he orders whenever it's on the menu? i forget, and it's been bothering me for some time now.

Lowell always orders pork because I never make it at home. If rabbit is on the menu he'll order it also. And then most times he orders soup but soup was not on the menu last night. Fascino will be putting soup on the menu Oct/Nov.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 weeks later...

We went there for the first time last night. I have virtually nothing to add, as it's all been said, just wanna confirm that this is a wonderful place in every respect, food, service, decor and atmosphere. High praise for the ravioli special - one person ordered it as an appetizer and I had it for my main dish -- the home made ravioli was stuffed with incredibly flavored braised beef (what the heck was it?). Also BIGTIME kudos to the polenta fries, which we all shared as a side order. Next time I'll know better and get one for myself and tell everyone to keep their paws off. And the desserts were everything they were cracked up to be and I tried everyone's (to get even for the fries).... chocolate cake, the sampler and the cappuccino brulee. [i felt so guilty i ran an extra 2 miles this morning.]

One complaint. While the service was exemplary and our server was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, the bussers gave every appetizer and dessert to the wrong person. [a different busser brought out the desserts.] It was as if they flipped a coin and lost every time. We were left to sort things out, which was a real hassle and interrupted our conversation. [The server brought out the entrees and got it right.] However, taking the entire experience into consideration, this can be overlooked. Hopefully management will give the bussers a spanking and make them go stand in the corner, or teach them how to read a ticket.

The tab for 4 with tax and generous tip was $250.

Tommy,

Our site will be up and running this Friday. There are a few things we are working out with our developer and it does need to be fixed. That being said we decided to put something out there for people to see. As of Friday you can visit us at

www.fascinorestaurant.com

Once again it's a work in progress and should be completed within the next few weeks but at least you can start to see something.

Glenn, I apologize about not putting plates down correctly. Honestly our computer system is a little screwy with position numbers. The servers know off the top of their head but the bussers read the ticket....we will remedy that as soon as possible...

Thanks,

Anthony

Had an outstanding dinner (again) last night at Fascino. There were four of us in our party - two of us had the ravioli appetizer (with the braised beef), one person had the squash soup & the fourth had the squash blossoms stuffed with crabmeat. Winners all around.

For the main course, three of us had the rack of lamb coated with majoram - fabulous! The fourth person had the salmon coated with olives (which I've had before & it is great). Oh, & a side of the terrific polenta fries.

Desserts consisted of two of the molten chocolate cakes with hazlenut ice cream & two of us had the apple crostata. Really wonderful.

We had 6:30 reservations & the place was mobbed when we walked in. Basically, there was not an empty table all night. Nice to see a restaurant with great food, good service, & nice people really take off.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Sorry Rosie..I figured the last thing this board needs is another glowing review of Fascino....but here it goes!!

We walked in and told the hostess we had a reservation. Anthony then started leading us to our table, and as we were nearing what was our table the last time we were there, he turned and said "Here's your table, just like the last time!!" I was shocked he remembered us after a month and a half. He even remembered my name (not too difficult, since it is the same as his). Anyway, on to the meal...

I had the fried calamari, which of course was terrific. Crisp and tender, flavorful sauce. Amy had the squash soup, which she was very happy with. For the main courses, I ordered the ravioli with shredded beef, and Amy ordered the Salmon with olive crust. Her Salmon was very good. The filling for my ravioli was delicious, but the pasta was a bit hard. I mentioned it to our waiter and he said he would pass it on. Later, Anthony came out to chat and he mentioned that he heard the pasta was a bit tough. He apologized and we had a nice talk. Even when things aren't perfect, the staff and the owners make us feel comfortable and like they truly appreciate our business. It shows that they are doing a great job since a reservation is so hard to come by at the last minute.

I'll be back on Nov 3rd, and we are looking forward to it!!

... he turned and said "Here's your table, just like the last time!!" I was shocked he remembered us after a month and a half.

Hey Anthony or anyone, how'd you do that? Elephant's memory? Software program? [it doesn't appear that you subscribe to opentable which would enable you to track such things.]

Hey Anthony or anyone, how'd you do that? Elephant's memory?

I did notice he was eating a giant pile of peanuts....