• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Lists - Favorites and otherwise

gastrotex

I divine that the eclectic membership of eGullet includes a number of fellow Austinites.  I have lived in this cool city (that's cool in a profoundly non-thermal sense) for eight years and consider it a great place to eat.  And drink.  And live, too - but that's beside the point.

I had dinner the other night with the sommelier at one of Austin's most expensive establishments (not necessarily the best); he expressed the view that, in terms of innovation and culinary fusion, Austin lags somewhat behind New York and London.  This is undoubtedly true, but the thousand plus eateries listed on Austin360.com are conveniently closer together in this city of 700,00 (or so) that in any megacity.

And so, in the hopes of flushing out some Austin dining gems that I have so far missed, I thought I'd throw up a list of my top 10 favorites, plus the top 5 on my "need to visit very soon" list:

Top 10 Favorites:

Chez Nous - authentic French bistro

Fonda San Miguel - interior Mexican

Madras Pavilion - South Indian vegetarian

Robbie's Cajun Kitchen - Cajun/creole home cooking

Vespaio - North Italian

Cipollina - funky Italian deli

Guero's - if only for the queso flameado

Louie's 106 - Mediterranean and tapas

Austin Land & Cattle Company - good old steakhouse

Mother Egan's - fairly genuine Irish pub

Top 5 "Must Do":

Habana - Cuban/Caribbean/Puerto Rican

T & S Chinese Restaurant - dim sum and seafood

Sarovar - Indian

Gumbo's - upscale Cajun/creole

Kenichi - Japanese

Informed comment welcome - also prejudiced outbursts and scathing criticism.

I had dinner the other night with the sommelier at one of Austin's most expensive establishments (not necessarily the best); he expressed the view that, in terms of innovation and culinary fusion, Austin lags somewhat behind New York and London.  

I agree with you.  It always annoys me when people try to compare Austin to major cities like NY or SF as it does a disservice to Austin.  For a city the size of Austin, it offers a wide variety of dining options at many price points.  It is weak on the high-end of the spectrum, but so is every city of comparable size.  In the four years I have lived in Austin, the growth in quantity and quality of dining options has been incredible.  It is encouraging to see new and exciting restaurants opening despite the current economic turbulence.    

Those are some great lists.  I would also include:

Mirabelle - My neighborhood favorite

Girasole – wonderful tasting menus

Wink – best desserts in town

Roy's

Las Manitas

Z'Tejas - Sunday Brunch on the deck

Bitter End - mostly for the beer (it would be a tragedy if they tear it down for a new hotel)

Four Seasons Cafe - worth repeating

Emilia's - Have not been there since the shake-up in the kitchen

Hoovers

Reale’s

Ray’s – for the times I just feel like having a big piece of red meat.

On my list to try, but have not been to yet.  Would love to hear about anyone’s experiences.

Flemmings – Are there any interesting wines on their list of 100 wines offered by the glass?

Curra’s Grill

Starlite – just got 4 stars in the statesman

Eddie V’s

Y Bar and Grill

Great lists!  I've been in Austin for about 20 years (most of my life) and have been very excited about the restaurants that are here now.

Gastrotex--Sarovar is very good, though I haven't been there in about a year.  My best friend is Indian and she recommended it to me--we used to each lunch there quite often.  The Clay Pit is also worth checking out--if only for the naan.

Jaymes--have you tried the mojitos at Saba?  I haven't tried one there, but it seems to be their signature drink. They are having a tasting as part of Taste of the Nation.   Saba Mojito Tasting

NYT--Starlite won't disappoint.  I've been there a couple times and both meals were memorable.  Their menu changes often, but a few of my favorites are the black bean soup and sear tuna apps, and the tenderloin entree. Wine list is short, but they pick off the beaten path--found some gems.

Flemmings is also very good, they can be a little over the top with their presentation/service, but the wine list has many interesting choices--beyond the usual cal cabs--and the beef is consistently good.

Curra’s is a favorite of ours, too. The seviche is worth checking out.

My favorites, in no particular order, and sure I forgot one:

Starlite

Wink

Fonda San Miguel

Ranch 616

Asti

Hyde Park Grill

Musashino-best sushi, but we love DK at Seoul, too.

Hai Ky--pho, pho, pho

On my list to try:

Habana

Madras

Mirabelle

Bellagio

Challah back!

Gastrotex--Sarovar is very good, though I haven't been there in about a year.  My best friend is Indian and she recommended it to me--we used to each lunch there quite often.  The Clay Pit is also worth checking out--if only for the naan.

On my list to try:

Madras

Bellagio

I was profoundly moved by the comment that Gastrotex sounds like an intestinal affliction contracted in Galveston ;-)

I definitely need to try Sarovar.  I've been to the Clay Pit but incline away from their fusion approach coming, as I do, from the second home of Indian cuisine and having a slightly purist attitude.  On analysis, my attitude does fail the logic test (often the case) since Indian food is itself a fusion cuisine -for example, potatoes and chile peppers originated in the Americas.  I ponder on the derivation of "aloo", the Hindi word for potato.

Madras - subtle and exquisite flavors, and I'm anything but a vegetarian.

Bellagio - fantastic osso buco (not available every night).

Well, the thread started with reference to fusion and innovation, which I'm not sure are that important.  They are not good in their own sake, only insofar as they produce better food.  I find that typically they do not, though occasionally they're great.

My own list starts with Jeffreys.  I've wavered on them over the past 15 years but I still think they're the best.

Second would be Vespaio, though I haven't gone there much due to the wait.

I think you've got to consider Zoot up there.  The Cafe at the Four Seasons seems very inconsistent but can be great.  Emilia's is very good but I've been there only twice.  Jean Luc's Bistro and Aquarelle provide good French food.  Siena's setting alone makes it worthwhile, and there are some very nice menu items.

For Indian, the Clay Pit is good for dinner and probably the best for breads, but I think their lunch buffet has gotten much worse.  Sarovar is the place I most often patronize

Of course, it's nothing like Manhattan, but you can eat pretty well down here in Austin.

When I kicked off "Austin Food Trail" I listed my five "must visits" and can now report on one of them - T&S Chinese on far North Lamar (and I do mean far).  

Dear GT:

Thanks a lot for that last post...I'm going to try both the Italian & the Chinese suggestions right away.

You know, that whole North Lamar area is wonderful for authentic Asian food...small, inexpensive noodle shops, etc.  Have you been to Kim Phung Noodle House on North Lamar?  It's right next door to My Thanh Oriental Grocery.  Really good cheap eats...  it's been recognized by the Chronicle for many years.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks a lot for that last post...I'm going to try both the Italian & the Chinese suggestions right away.

You know, that whole North Lamar area is wonderful for authentic Asian food...

Jaymes...

I'd be interested in your feedback (or should that be foodback) on the Italian and Chinese emporia!

I read your bio thread - I can't match the culinary input of a Southern grandmother (both my grandmothers were from Aberdeenshire), but I can trump your first ex-husband with a first and second ex-wife!

However I do get an infusion of Southern cooking from my third and final wife, who comes from New Orleans.  Shrimp gumbo and crawfish étoufée second to none.  As well as roast lamb and mince and tatties to satisfy my Scottish cravings.  She will also cook kippers on the rare occasion that I can find fresh ones in Austin (if there is such a thing as fresh smoked fish), but insists on using the barbecue to avoid stinking the house out for the next two weeks (she exaggerates).

Other than T&S I'm not very familiar with the North Lamar area (north of 183 at least) since we live in Circle C (the erstwhile independent fascist republic latterly annexed by our city fathers).  But someone did mention the Y Bar and Grill, which is the first attempt at competent dining in SW Austin.  I think it's okay, but no more than that.

I lived in Shady Hollow when I first moved here, so ate down there a lot.  However, that's been about eight years ago, so I don't know if the places we enjoyed are still there or not.

There was a Green Mesquite down there, good for ribs; Slab Shack (my son worked there for a time) good brisket and chopped beef, and a Mexican restaurant that served pretty good interior Mexican.  I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was over in Manchaca...  wherever it was, it was away from the main drag...  we took the back way out of Shady Hollow.  And of course, a perennial favorite, Salt Lick.

My favorite, though, was and still is Rosie's Tamale House which, although not what some might call "close" to you, is closer to you than it is now to me (I'm in far north Austin....much, much farther north than the location on North Lamar that you referred to as "far north and I do mean far").  Rosie's is out Hwy 71 (I think, it's been a while since I've been that way so if you try it, you might be smart to check the map or call before you go) by the lake.  You go to the "y" and head west.  Anyone can tell you where it is.  Rosie's Tamale House got started a long time ago with just a small place (you could almost call it a shack) on the left-hand side of the highway.  It's still there and they still sell what some people consider the best tamales in Austin.  But Rosie was so successful that she built a nice big restaurant about a quarter-mile on down the highway, and on the opposite side (your right hand, if you're heading west), and that'll be what you're watching for.  

Start with the nachos...be sure to get them plain...that's very important....you don't want all that other junk just slopping them up and ruining them; you want just the fresh hot corn tortilla halves, and beans and cheese, with a bowl of jalepeños on the side.  If the only nachos you've had are those big production deals in the chain restaurants, you're in for a revelation.  Then, get the chiles rellenos...  I usually get beef.  I drive a long way for those rellenos.  

Another place closer to you than to me, that I am still willing to drive to, is Thai Spice on Cap of Texas.  Everyone I've asked says it's the best Thai in town.  I drive by at least four or five other Thai restaurants to get there, so I must think it's pretty good, too.

Speaking of driving, if you like German, pack up the ole' vehicle and get on I35 and head north until you get to the Walberg exit.  It's a small German town, and I do mean small and actually now that I think about it, calling it a "town" at all is probably an exaggeration.  There's not much there except a bank and a couple other buildings, including an old mercantile store that is now a German restaurant.  Of course things change, so can't vouch for the same fellow owning it, but a while back I had a German exchange student staying with me and we took her for dinner there at least once a month.  She always ordered the potato soup to start and once I asked her if it was the same as her mother made and she said, "Well, my mother does make potato soup but this is much better."  She got into a big conversation with the German owner/chef and he said he was raising his own pigs and vegetables to give everything the authentic flavor from back home.  They have buffets some times of the year, Octoberfest for sure, and orgasmic "Octoberfest special beer" that they serve year 'round.  There is a tent and Biergarten out back with oompah music, for special occasions...  call ahead to find out if there's going to be a band, if you're in the mood to don your lederhosen, stick a feather in der hut, and polka a step or two.  All together now, "Eins, zwei...."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There was a Green Mesquite down there...

Another place closer to you than to me, that I am still willing to drive to, is Thai Spice on Cap of Texas. Everyone I've asked says it's the best Thai in town.

Speaking of driving, if you like German, pack up the ole' vehicle and get on I35 and head north until you get to the Walberg exit.  It's a small German town, and I do mean small and actually now that I think about it, calling it a "town" at all is probably an exaggeration.  There's not much there except a bank and a couple other buildings, including an old mercantile store that is now a German restaurant.

There is a Green Mesquite in Oak Hill, near HEB.  To my taste it's okay, but far better is Donn's Texas Barbecue, hidden behind Albertson's.  Wood tables to eat at, but I normally take out since we're only five minutes away and they don't sell beer.  The brisket is so succulent, and when they have sliced the ordered weight, I normally ask for some of the scrag end and they throw that in for free.  Gotta get my fat feel good factor!  The meat falls off the ribs.

Agree on Thai Spice (Cap Tex) - closest thing here to eating in Thailand, although the Thai Noodle House (?) behind a gas station on the Drag is pretty authentic (within the limits of its menu).  All is needs is an open drain nearby for olfactory realism.

Walberg - macht man Schweinshaxe dort?  Ich werde ganz fern für gute Schweinshaxe fahren!

"There is a Green Mesquite in Oak Hill, near HEB.  To my taste it's okay, but far better is Donn's Texas Barbecue, hidden behind Albertson's.  Gotta get my fat feel good factor!  The meat falls off the ribs."

As I recall, I went to Green Mesquite for the ribs.  I thought they had a great texture and taste.  I don't really like the texture of ribs as well when they "fall off the bones."  Wasn't as happy with the Green Mesquite brisket, although frankly, even mediocre BBQ in Central Texas is so good.  But, it's been eight years since I lived down there, and don't recall that Donn's was there then.

"Agree on Thai Spice (Cap Tex) - closest thing here to eating in Thailand, although the Thai Noodle House (?) behind a gas station on the Drag is pretty authentic (within the limits of its menu).  All is needs is an open drain nearby for olfactory realism."

And for the real Asian restroom experience, too. :wink:

The North Lamar area is where by far the largest number of Asians in Austin live, so there are many good Oriental-influenced businesses there (concentrated nearby the N. Lamar/183 intersection).  If you like noodles, do try that Kim Phung Noodle House that I mentioned earlier.  

As for the Cipollina "deli" thing, you are correct....that's what they call themselves.  They do have stuff to take out, and it's their business, so I guess they can call their little selves whatever they darn well please; but to me, it's misleading.  However, that is because of my expectations, which, of course, they are not responsible for.  But that still leaves me where I started...wishing I could find a good "Italian deli."

I don't know how long you've been in the Austin area, but there are several good restaurants out 71 in the lake area...Hudson's comes immediately to mind.  And, South Congress has several pretty-good Mexican places as well...El Sol y La Luna...good chilaquiles and other interior Mex food.  You have many more options living south than I do living way north.

"Walberg - macht man Schweinshaxe dort?  Ich werde ganz fern für gute Schweinshaxe fahren!"

Don't know, can't remember...suggest you call them and ask.  As I told you, although it was several years ago, the German fellow who at that time owned and ran the place said he was raising his own pigs, so quizás sí, pero quizás no tambien  :biggrin:

Real life Austinite here that moved from Austin 10 months ago. I was happy to see that Austin had it's own post. I moved from Austin to Florida to try and expand my cooking experiences and hopefully comeback and give back to Austin sometime in the Future. I read all the responses and a lot has changed in the last year with all the new Restaurants and even the ones to come. One place that I didn't see was Castle Hill. I think that it has a great menu that changes daily and a very Austin interior. This is just my opinion but I thought that I might put in my 2 cents. Y’all were talking about "Views" I know that the food isn't all that but the Oasis has the best "View" in the state of Texas. It was even in Texas Monthly about it. Well just wanted to say hey to my Austinite friends out there from Florida!!!

Cheers

GO HORNS!!

Travis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All!

Just found this board and love it! I'm an Austin foodie who's lived in Chicago, New York and Connecticut and sadly, have been disappointed in the Austin restaurant scene since moving back home to Texas. Maybe I just haven't been out enough. The dining out club is a great idea!

My favorite restaurant right now for consistency, value and quality is probably Houston's. Sad but true. I also like some of the more eclectic places like Castle Hill and am dying to try Vespaio.

Have any of you heard of Rob Balon's "Gonzo Gourmets" club? He promotes it on his website www.diningoutwithrobbalon.com. It sounds pretty fun, but maybe we could start our own with eGullet members.

Foodie52,

Which Central Market do you teach at? I haunt the South store.

NewYorkTexan,

Is the guy who runs the Russian store named Sascha Lipshiz? If so, I know him. He used to be a personal chef and he's really nice.

Jaymes,

Wish I could help you with the butter situation but I haven't branched out into fancy butters yet.

Anyway. I'm looking forward to hanging out on this bulletin board.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I'm new to the boards and I promise to catch up on all my reading, but I just had to pop in and say hi to the Austin e-Gulleters before I moved on. I put an intro on the members bio board, so we'll jump straight to the food topic! I thought I'd just start out by listing some of my favorite restaurants so you know where I'm coming from and I'll answer other posts later on. In no real order:

1. Castle Hill

2. Texas Land and Cattle

3. Mirabelle

4. Star of India (best samosas /ever/)

5. Kerbey Lane

6. Curra's (south location...ambience is part of a meal)

7. Marie Callendar's (mmmmmmm...pie)

8. Korea House

I know there are more, but they escape me at present. I look forward to more posts!

• 1 year later...

As a former resident who still visits, here are some of my faves:

Louie's 106. I used to work nearby and ate lunch here often. It was sad to read on this forum that it's not as consistently good as it used to be, although I ate there in March this year and had a nice lunch.

Jeffrey's. I didn't actually eat here until returning as a visitor. Wow. Loved it, although the F-bomb-dropping taxi driver who drove me there felt compelled to remark, "Oh, I hate this fancy (expletive deleted) place! I dropped some (expletive deleted) prom kids off here once!"

Gumbo's (the one north of Wells Branch). A restaurant group apparently bought the rights to Gumbo's and they have one in downtown Denver now. As you might imagine, it's not as good.

Old Alligator Grill. I recall that they had BBQ Shrimp and Shrimp Creole dishes that were not "dumbed down" for sensitive palates.

Texadelphia (Great Hills location). Mmmm. You would be surprised how many bad cheesesteaks I've had at other places (most recently at 9545 in Telluride, CO), so I usually hit this place as soon as I get into town.

Dot's near Metric. This is real country cookin'.

E-Z's on Lamar for chocolate shakes.

Round Rock Donuts. Wackyyellowsugarrushwonderdough.

Overrated:

Fonda San Miguel. Admittedly haven't been here in a while, but we had it all built up for us and were disappointed. Have they changed chefs?

Trudy's. I guess if you need a place to get stinking drunk...

Chuy's. Ugh. Don't hate me. With so many other superior Mex/Tex-Mex places in Austin, I'm not sure why this has such a hold on people.

Threadgill's. I grew up on "country cookin'" and I think they need to go take some lessons from Dot.

Oasis. How can a place screw up simple appetizers?

Hill Country Pasta. Is this still around? I had a pasta dish with vegetables that had no flavor whatsoever. My napkin tasted better.

Miss You Dearly:

Celis Raspberry (RIP)

Being able to buy wine and real beer at the grocery store like you lucky Texans can

Central Market (it should be federally mandated that they have one of these in every state)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"