• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starlite

coolranch

I tried Starlite's brunch yesterday. It's one of my favorites for dinner so we gave the brunch a try--it was very good.

I had the Bangok Breakfast, which was 2 small crabcakes, a poached egg on jasmine rice w/an asian influenced hollandaise sauce (spicy) garnished w/cilantro.

Mr. cr had the Steak and Eggs, a tenderloin w/shitake jus, egg over easy w/hollandaise sauce on cheddar grits.

Wasabi bloody mary good, but nothing special.  I was intrigued by the idea of their "breakfast martini", but didn't try it.  

Prices were 6-13 for entrees.  Will definitely go back.

Just thought I'd share.

Challah back!

• 4 weeks later...

This is a little note to all who have said good things about the restuarant Starlite. I was the founding chef and cooked there until a few months ago. The food there is excellent and yes it did get 4 stars again in the Statesman. Good job! Anyone who is looking for "big city" style food needs only to look to a few restuarants in town who aspire to create that experience. Starlite is one example. Joshua Heines trained for 10 years in NYC before transplanting to Austin. His food is an excellent reflection of that time. Wink is another great example. Stuart Scruggs is a great old school Austin chef, but more importantly, he has an excellent staff, all at the top of the talent pool. Check them out for sure. Also, Zoot's chef John Maxwell hails from DC I believe, and as well as the others, his food is trendy yet solidly backed with decades of experience. Granite Cafe is another great theater, and Sam is a very old friend of mine. Austin has several other "foodie" type stuff going on, and to keep this to a paragraph, I'll only mention Boggy Creek Farms. If you've never gone out there, it's not far at all, and now is a great time if you love tomatoes. In my opinion, Austin is pretty arid as far as foodies go, but we need to support these establishments. Word of mouth keeps these kind of places in the headlines, and that popularity is what keeps the art of handcrafted cuisine alive. I've been working in South Korea as well, consulting at hotels for the USMEF (alot of people are confusing our work as being with the Beef Council), and will be at a new restuarant soon. Thanks again for the good word. Cheers! :wub:

Chris Howard

I've been working in South Korea as well, consulting at hotels for the USMEF (alot of people are confusing our work as being with the Beef Council), and will be at a new restuarant soon. Thanks again for the good word. Cheers! :wub:

Chris Howard

Wow. Thanks for stopping by. You are certainly correct that good publicity keeps the best and most innovative chefs in business. Especially during the current hightech downturn.

Obviously, Spudboy is in reality a very busy man. But I hope you have time to stop by occasionally and keep us up with what's going on!

Thanks again,

(OU? :hmmm: )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Spudboy, thanks for dropping by. Starlite is our favorite restaurant. My husband first ate there with some friends while I was on a trip to NYC. It was in January, so I believe you were still there. He and rarely gets excited about food--but he actually called me specifically to describe his meal at Starlite!! He had the tenderloin I believe, with bleu cheese and a wine reduction.

Be sure to let us e-gulleters know where you are cooking when back in Austin.

(a Sooner? :shock: say it ain't so! :raz: )

Challah back!

Hmmmm....Spudboy: you must also hang out with Will Packwood. Why don't you and Willl and Sam open up a restaurant here, for heaven's sake? I saw Sam the other day and he told me about a live tofu/fish dish you guys ate in Korea.Wanna share that experience with everyone here?

Claire:

I'm at the north Central Market: have been there 6 years.

Let's all get together, OK?

Hmmmm....Spudboy: you must also hang out with Will Packwood. Why don't you and Willl and Sam open up a restaurant here, for heaven's sake? I saw Sam the other day and he told me about a live tofu/fish dish you guys ate in Korea.Wanna share that experience with everyone here?

Let's all get together, OK?

"Let's all get together....."

Foodie52, assuming you're not talking about you and Will and Sam and Spudboy, why don't you buzz over to NYT's "Austin Get Together" thread and post your preferences???

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.