• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rounder's Pizza

coolranch

Attention fans of NY style pizza:

(Disclaimer: I am aquainted with the proprietor, through a mutual friend)

Rounders pizza just opened, located at 1203 W. 6th St. in the same location as Robbie's Cajun Kitchen. Anyone who lives south/central like me will be happy not to have to make the trek up to "south Waco" for Saccone's or Reale's.

He's starting with just dinner service and take-out lunch. They'll be open late on weekends.

I've eaten there twice. Once before he opened, I had the cheese pizza (I'm a bit of a purist)--which was burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth hot and had just the right amount of bubbles in the crust. Then a sausage and mushroom calzone--extra creamy due to ricotta mixed in the cheese mixture. We tried all three salads: spinach, Greek and house---all very fresh and tasty, but your here for the pies. There's a strawberry vingarette on the spinach salad that was a little too sweet for my taste, but I have a salt tooth instead of a sweet tooth.

The meatballs are very tasty, too. He's still tweaking some menu items, and I'm trying to talk him into doing a full lunch service (there's some city deal with the number of parking spaces a restaurant must have that's preventing him from advertising lunch other than take-out). His sign is delayed, but it's being made by the same guy who did Starlite's and Club de Ville's, so it should be pretty cool.

Just thought I'd pass the word. :biggrin:

Challah back!

How was the mozzarella on the pizza? Creamy? Smooth? And the marinara?

I was ruined forever last November when I went to NYC and had pizza at Grimaldi's....

I kinda wish I had never had the experience, because now I know what the true, ultimate, quintessential pizza is like....