• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louie's 106

Dances With Possums

I had dinner with some friends over at Louie's 106 the other night. Though I have eaten there before and come away impressed, I have to say that I believe the restaurant is in decline. The duck, for example, was dry, dry, dry ... way overcooked. The tapas (we had four different kinds) were serviceable, though routine.

The high point of the meal was the chocolate martini that my girlfriend bought. If you've never had one, they are quite yummy, even for someone who is almost exclusively a beer/wine drinker.

DWP

Sad to hear that. I don't get right downtown all that often, but Louie's 106 was a favorite.

So, what's in a chocolate martini??

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I had dinner with some friends over at Louie's 106 the other night. Though I have eaten there before and come away impressed, I have to say that I believe the restaurant is in decline.  The duck, for example, was dry, dry, dry ... way overcooked.  The tapas (we had four different kinds) were serviceable, though routine.

The high point of the meal was the chocolate martini that my girlfriend bought. If you've never had one, they are quite yummy, even for someone who is almost exclusively a beer/wine drinker.

DWP

I agree that Louie's 106 is in decline. There was a time I went there on a regular basis.

First any sense of creativity left the menu and now the kitchen can not consistently execute on even the most basic dishes. There are so many more attractive options in Austin that I have not been back to Louie’s in a long time.

Ah! I was driving by there a week or two ago, and wondered if Louie's 106 was even open. I never hear anything about them anymore. I used to go there on a fairly regular basis (5-6 yrs ago)--but I guess so did everyone else. Sad to hear it's on the decline.

But the chocolate martini sounds interesting.

I tasted one of those pineapple martini's at Sullivan's last weekend (made w/pineapple infused vodka)--good, but sweet enough to produce a royal hangover.

Oh, and I saw Robert Duval and Michael Caine there, too. :raz:

Challah back!

But sadly, believe he and Robert Duval have wrapped up their work and are heading out of town shortly (if they're not already gone). :sad:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.