• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mojitos in Austin

Jaymes

Habana - Cuban/Caribbean/Puerto Rican

But they don't serve Mojitos.  Anyone know where in Austin a girl can get a decent Mojito?

Also, Gastrotex (sounds like an intestinal problem you picked up in Galveston)  :biggrin: , the Four Seasons Cafe dishes up some pretty good grub.  I had the Lobster Bisque there a while back and the taste of it still haunts my culinary dreams.  I managed to pry loose the recipe...  It started with (no kidding) "take 25 lobster carcasses."  Needless to say, I haven't gotten around to preparing it.  One stumbles across 25 lobster carcasses in one's kitchen just so rarely.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes--have you tried the mojitos at Saba?  I haven't tried one there, but it seems to be their signature drink. They are having a tasting as part of Taste of the Nation.  

Haven't, but absolutely will.  Thanks for the great tip!

How about Thai Spice on Cap of Texas highway.  

They have another location which is not as good, I've been told.

I really like Reale's, too, included in someone's posting.  It's the "good little Italian place" lots of people are searching for.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes...I'm with you on the Mojitos!  I just adore them and they are hard to find.  The only place that comes to mind on where to find one is Bahama Breeze...pretty darn sure I've had one there.  

Has anyone checked out the new Lambert's, and if so, what should I expect (menu, price, wait...)?

ALSO...does anyone know if the Trudy's restaurant (but not Trudy's - just the same owner, from what I understand) that was supposed to open on S. Congress early Spring has any intentions of opening in the near future?

Just one more thing...I'm so excited to read everyone's entries...and am delighted to discover that other "Austinites" (as I prefer to refer to us) have like passions.

Jaymes - you can get Mojitos at Saba Blue Water Cafe.  My favorite happy hour bar.  From 4 - 7 PM you can get $3 drinks and appetizers.  I used to go there after work with my work pals and drink their blue Martini's.  My compatriots favored the Mojitos.  I now work NW of the city and miss going there after work (my brain cels don't).

I haven't tried Gumbos downtown.  We tried to go there for lunch one day but it was too long a wait.  I have also heard the Round Rock one is better.

Mirabelles is a great restaurant.  Their service is also very good and I have only been there for lunch - alot.

I also like the Alligator Grill for lunch.  I love their Oysters Oypallousas (sp?).  I used to live in New England and loved fried oysters.

What's the best Italian restaurant in Austin?  I have heard it is Bellagio.  

I haven't gone to as many restaurants for dinner here as I would like.  My son is in the in between age of too old for a babysitter and a little too young to leave at home alone - but I think he's passing that soon.  Hope to dine at more this summer.  I really want to go to Fonda San Miguel - I'm not fond of Tex Mex - too much cheese.

Last weekend we ate at a typical Tex Mex - Iguana Grill.  Didn't like it at all and if I'm going to have poor to mediocre food and a view we'll go to the Oasis.  Why is it here in Austin you can have a good view or good food, but not both?

Cindy G.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

Jaymes - you can get Mojitos at Saba Blue Water Cafe.  My favorite happy hour bar.  From 4 - 7 PM you can get $3 drinks and appetizers.  I used to go there after work with my work pals and drink their blue Martini's.  My compatriots favored the Mojitos.  I now work NW of the city and miss going there after work (my brain cels don't).

I also like the Alligator Grill for lunch.  I love their Oysters Oypallousas (sp?).  I used to live in New England and loved fried oysters.

What's the best Italian restaurant in Austin?  I have heard it is Bellagio.  

I really want to go to Fonda San Miguel - I'm not fond of Tex Mex - too much cheese.

Last weekend we ate at a typical Tex Mex - Iguana Grill.  Didn't like it at all and if I'm going to have poor to mediocre food and a view we'll go to the Oasis.  Why is it here in Austin you can have a good view or good food, but not both?

Cindy G.

Thanks for the Mojito alert.  I'll try it soon with friends.  

I think most people would tell you right now that the best Italian in town is Vespaio.  

It's easy to overlook, on S. Congress, because it has no sign (or at least didn't the last time I was there).  Also, because it really is quite good and they don't take reservations, you can have a lengthy wait.  I don't like to wait, though, and I also don't like to miss out on good restaurants, so I just go at off hours....like 5pm or so...right after the restaurant opens, if it's only open for dinner.  Or, if it's open all day, then I go for a late lunch - 2ish - like the Spaniards.  I've eaten there many times and never had to wait more than a minute or two.  Just long enough for a Campari at the bar.

If you want plain ole' good ole' "American" Italian (traditional red sauces, lasagne, pizza, etc.), try Reale's on N 183.  Prices are good; food is good.  A really nice little neighborhood place.  Don't be put off by the looks of the outside.  When I first moved here, several people recommended it to me, but it took me nearly a year to actually try it because from the outside it just looks like an unatmospheric stripmall kind of a deal.  Finally, after at least four or five recommendations from people I respect, I thought I might as well try it, and it was good.  Run by transplanted NY Italian family.

Fonda San Miguel is really good and you'll like it.  It's also pretty.  They have a great Sunday brunch...very popular.  Manuel's downtown is good interior Mex also.

Papadeaux on the east side of I35 just north of the 183 exit (you probably pass it every day on your way to and from Round Rock) is very, very popular for seafood, particularly Louisiana style....their Blackened Oyster Fondue (on the appetizer list) is what I usually order for my meal.  I enjoy it so much that the way I eat it gives people the feeling they shouldn't be watching.

Also, Giovanni's, in Round Rock, has a good reputation but I noticed on TV the other night that they failed their latest health inspection.  Of course, that could mean that they're really on their toes now, and one of the cleanest places in town.  

Yeah...I didn't like Iguana Grill either.  At all.  It was loud and obnoxious and the food was wallowing in mediocity.  I wouldn't call it "typical" TexMex.  I'd call it awful TexMex.  I like good TexMex and think that "typical" TexMex can be great.  Try La Palapa.  Or some of the restaurants in South Austin, or, best of all, Rosie's Tamale House...the one out by the lake, not the one on North 183.  Get the Beef Chile Rellenos and beans and rice....and salsa and guac....there isn't that much cheese, and you can ask them to hold what there is.  Seems to me their Rellenos come with a Ranchero sauce (tomato, onion, and green chiles) and just a little cheese.  But whatever, it's wonderful.

Good to have you here.  I'll be looking forward to your posts.

• 2 weeks later...
Bellagio - fantastic osso buco (not available every night).

Thanks for that tip.  I have a friend who loves Osso Bucco, so I am recommending it to her and we'll go for sure.

Went to both Saba and Bahama Breeze tonight on a "Mojita fact-finding mission."

Both places had pretty good Mojitos...  Bahama Breeze's were a little sweeter, which I didn't necessarily like, but much more minty, which I did like.  Bahama Breeze used crushed ice and that was much better than the cubes at Saba's.  So there you go.

As far as the food...we had appetizers each place.  There was a sauteed jerk shrimp thing at Bahama Breeze (can't remember exactly what they called it)....kind of a Caribbean scampi, served with what they said was "Cuban bread" (who knows?) to dip into the sauce.  All of that was very good....shrimp and sauce were flavorful, bread was heavy with good texture, and very tasty.  I had been told the food at BB wasn't much good, so was pleasantly surprised with that one dish.  Also, we were served a plate of platanos that had been sliced lengthwise, very thinly (probably with a mandolin) and deepfried.  Had a texture similar to a potato chip, but of course, long and curvy.  They were very good and we all enjoyed them.

At Saba we had the Tempura Tuna....a somewhat sushi-type dish.  It was excellent.  Then we had the Chicken Satay.  The server said it was her favorite.  I suspect she has not had much real satay or Saba's version could not possibly have been a favorite.  Real satay in Indonesia is very spicy.  This was so bland, I couldn't even finish it.  The chicken had no flavor, the peanut sauce had no bite.  So I had no more bites, either.  We finished with the Bread Pudding.  It was absolutely orgasmic.  Totally made up for the satay.

We're going to Satay Restaurant sometime soon.  Not the best I've ever had, but much better than Saba's.  And, of course, now I won't be happy until I've had some real satay.  Golly....  Thanks a LOT, Saba!