• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Pantry Item Are You Never Out Of?

Suzanne F

Rice (Normally Basmati and some sort of italian rice)

Pasta (At least one short, and one long - usually penne and linguini)

Tinned Tomatoes

Tinned pulses (Chick peasand cannelini beans at least)

Lentils

Frozen peas

Garlic, onions and ginger

Bacon

Parmesan

With that lot, I can always make make something tasty and filling, without having to go shopping.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Rice--basmati, vialone, jasmine

Flour--all-purpose, pastry, whole-wheat pastry, whole wheat bread, cake, durum....

Corn meal, masa harina

Sugar

Beans--garbanzo, black, cannellini, azuki

Garlic

Oil--olive, peanut, rapeseed, sesame

Potatoes

Allkinds of things I can'r think of now....

Hot pepper flakes...if we're out of the Pakastani, we have California in reserve, but we never, ever let ourselves run out entirely, and in fact, never have (I buy them in 1lb bags).

As long as we have hot pepper flakes and scotch, nobody panics.

Gourmet Anarchy

This post is making me feel a bit like Piggy from "Lord of the Flies".

I must preface with the fact that I do catering, shop wholesale or Costco and have two full kitchens and three refridgerators at our house.

I never run out of the following:

Garlic,ginger,onions,carrots

Rice:Basmati,sushi,wild

Noodles: Lots of pastas, but always tortellini, angelhair,elbow macaroni,lasagna, spaghetti and ramen

Tomato products of all kinds

Ethnic seasonings: curry pastes (Indian and Thai),Tamarind paste, fish sauce oyster sauce,Terriaki,Mirin,Miso,wasabi,pesto

Hot sauces:Smabal chili paste w/garlic,Tobassco, Blind Betty

Several kinds of mustards,pickles,olives and capers, peanut butter,tahini, anchovy paste

Chimayo dried red chile and frozen green chile

Oils: EVOL, dark sesame,canola ,peanut,corn,butter,ghee

Pine nuts, pecans,sesame seeds, chocolate chips, frozen berries,applesauce,tomato juice

Frozen: meat balls, chicken breasts,salmon filets,shrimp, scallops,Boca Burgers,pita, tortillas, filo

Having all this on hand makes dinner prep a snap, especially since my wife is vegetarian and I usually cook two different entrees.