• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar Etiquette Question

tryska

Then there's always that one bad apple that expects it.  :hmmm:

i had the balls to bust the balls of an irish bartender (at an irish bar) that didn't throw me a buy-back. now this was a place that i found myself in several times a week on a good week. the guy damned near threw a pint glass at my head. i took something away from that little exchange. :biggrin:

tommy,

you adorable, b - a - d boy. However avoiding attempted bodily injury I find is a must within the bar environment! :laugh:

Someone wasn't cheerfully up to the challenge of the chain yanking one needs to accept within one's every day [night]'s worth of work.

Then there's always that one bad apple that expects it.   :hmmm:

i had the balls to bust the balls of an irish bartender (at an irish bar) that didn't throw me a buy-back. now this was a place that i found myself in several times a week on a good week. the guy damned near threw a pint glass at my head. i took something away from that little exchange. :biggrin:

This being Canada, it never comes up, because it's illegal for a bar (or a bartender) to give a customer a free drink, or I guess, for that matter, a heavy pour. :blink:

Lately I found tremendous interest in applicable, pertaining liquor laws.

Within oHIo it is too. No drink is *ever* for free as it causes the great State a loss in some revenues somehow or somewhere.

However, we, as alcoholic beverage pourers, are not mandated by law to pour with a measuring jigger, and accounting for each and every drop, literally, poured.

Needless to say, right or wrong, it does happen.

And I do believe I've been gifted a complimentary while in Niagara. Bad bartender! :wink:

uh oh - tired typos....

Edited by beans (log)

Someone wasn't cheerfully up to the challenge of the chain yanking one needs to accept within one's every day [night]'s worth of work.

yer smart. as i recall, the other bartenders did in fact have a go at him, as he was clearly having a very bad day. :biggrin:

and i *still* bust his balls about that particular night...although i never bust his balls about not throwing me a buy-back. :rolleyes:

Edited by tommy (log)

:laugh:

yer smart. as i recall, the other bartenders did in fact have a go at him, as he was clearly having a very bad day. :biggrin:

usually that is worse... again :laugh:

and i *still* bust his balls about that particular night...although i never bust his balls about not throwing me a buy-back.  :rolleyes:

Laughing is good for the soul. With guests; about yourself; about guests and yourself....

I'm always for silly fun. None better.

edit: DARN THOSE TAGS!!!!!!

Edited by beans (log)

Even MADD is lobbying to get rid of this old law...

Seriously? If so, what do you think could explain that?

Because apparently the "standard" cocktail in S.C. is stronger than average, because 1 minibottle is 1.7 oz (i.e. 1.7 shots). When you multiply this times 4 or 5 cocktails, it's getting close to 8 or 9 standard shots of liquor... The law was originally put in place to regulate the amount of liquor consumed, but it actually quite frequently causes more to be consumed!

if a regular comes into your bar and asks you to make him a drink, and make it really strong - do you feel this is an insult to your bartending abilities?

no, not at all.

In my bartending days I would have made the drink stronger. Hopefully biz wouldn't have been too busy and I would have the opportunity to lend an ear if they wanted one.

I'm surprised how polite you were when the other bartender commented on him receiving a smaller tip, but I suppose that this was one of your regular places so I could see how politics may have dictated your response.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

This being Canada, it never comes up, because it's illegal for a bar (or a bartender) to give a customer a free drink, or I guess, for that matter, a heavy pour.

But the US is still a free country (in most states)

Edited by meatloaf (log)

This being Canada, it never comes up, because it's illegal for a bar (or a bartender) to give a customer a free drink, or I guess, for that matter, a heavy pour.

i do think there are certain laws regarding giving away drinks in several states.

I think the idea behind a ban on free drinks (and other similar restrictions) is to reduce the number of people who get loaded and do stupid and possibly fatal things, like drive cars.

But even if governments allowed it in Canada, most bar owners are pretty careful these days. There have been a handful of court cases finding bars liable, at least in part, for serving liquor to people who later smash up cars, themselves and others.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I'm surprised how polite you were when the other bartender commented on him receiving a smaller tip, but I suppose that this was one of your regular places so I could see how politics may have dictated your response.

to be honest i felt i was in one of those positions where i could have used a Miss Manners Book on Bar Etiquette. On the one hand I felt like i had been busted out for showing favoritsim, on the other hand i don't know the relationship between those two bartenders (politically) and i do know the GM at the place, (he's comped me before) but he can be a moody bastard, so i didn't want to spill the reason. So i just kinda played it off, and said "well nothing against you - he just did me a favor" and let bartender number one take it as he felt like taking it. (i did tip him a little extra on a bottle of water later on in the evening to soothe his feelings tho)

meatloaf - i do say please and thank you - that's just how i was raised. and i don't tip "big" to "get in". I tip big because i worked for tips as well and have no problem spreading the wealth (my nights out at that point usually come from the tip-based sidegig i had at the time, so it's not like i was "broke" broke from the lay-off - plus i had just won an office pool that gave me an extra $22 :biggrin: ). To me it's no different from the bouncers that used to come into my job and give me a $10 for $2.36 and told me to keep the change.

The folks at http://www.gettips.com [Training for Intervention ProcedureS] have a fairly decent liquor law database, however they have recently changed their restrictions on who can access the specifics I enjoy reviewing in one quick and easy glance. (It was available to all who registered on their website, but is now mostly restricted to Trainers :angry: ).

Their databased covered the States, District of Columbia, US territories, Canadian Provinces and, I think, some of the Mexican laws.

There are very exacting laws by each state, and sometimes even further restricted by municipality/burrough/county, about the sale and service of alcohol. It is the server's (whether waiter/waitress/cocktailer/bartender/barback/manager/owner) responsiblity to be aware of and in compliance with same.

These laws were motivated for various reasons -- from sales tax revenue to promoting social responsiblity and serving a deterrent to DWI/DUI related incidents.

edited to add in ol' Washigton DC :wacko:

Edited by beans (log)

to be honest i felt i was in one of those positions where i could have used a Miss Manners Book on Bar Etiquette.  On the one hand I felt like i had been busted out for showing favoritsim, on the other hand i don't know the relationship between those two bartenders (politically) and i do know the GM at the place, (he's comped me before) but he can be a moody bastard, so i didn't want to spill the reason.  So i just kinda played it off, and said "well nothing against you - he just did me a favor" and let bartender number one take it as he felt like taking it.  (i did tip him a little extra on a bottle of water later on in the evening to soothe his feelings tho)

No worries tryska sweetie. Gratuities are subjective and quite discretionary. If you gave a few more bucks to another, it is no one else's business, nor do you really need to justify it. :smile: (although you were very considerate to provide an explanation.) It's like removing a band-aid. Quick and deliberate, no second thoughts or worries. It really ought to be a cue to that other tender that perhaps he/she needs to do more to earn the better tips, or perhaps accept that some people tip for many other reasons outside of the realm of "good" service -- for instance like: an entertaining bartender (silly illusion type of bar tricks or an amazing coordinated one that can flair quite well), perhaps this is a senior bartender who has been there longer, you are friends, (and not saying this about you at all!!!!) but perhaps as a way to say 'hello' in a wanna-date sort of way. :raz: Or heck! Just because you want to do so! :wink:

:cool:

*lol* beans - he is one of my gay boyfriends actually!

he got more because he took care of me, and always takes care of me. And that is excellent customer service, imo, and deserves it. (ok, yeah and he is cute with a fabulous body. ;-) )

• 10 months later...

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. What's the etiquette on which part?

A buyback is just bar speak for a comp. Just like at a restaurant, this is 100% at the discretion of the extablishment/server and should never be expected (and definitely never requested). Usually a buyback will go something like this: you've had several drinks at a bar, and the bartender says "the next one's on me" or you order a drink and he/she says "this one's on the house" or simply waves you off when you reach for your wallet, etc. Sometimes the management will comp you one or more drinks instead of the individual bartender. In either case, I always tip generously on the value of the comped drink(s).

Some bars (and states) allow this, and some don't. I've always found that the best restaurants, in terms of customer relations, always knew just when to comp something so it makes you feel like an insider (which, of course, makes you go back there and give them more of your money). I would imagine there is a fine line to be drawn at bars between being generous to a good customer or a regular, and allowing him to mooch. When there are places where I've been comped a lot, I start looking for ways to pay because I want to send the message that I go there because I'm happy to pay for what they give me, and not becase I'm getting free food, drinks, whatever.

--

Another bar etiquette question:  What is the general protocol of the 'buyback'? I've never encountered one in the wild, but have always been curious about it.

If you're not getting comped, you're probably not drinking enough. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Toronto is not Canada. The liquor laws are different in each Province. I have had free drinks, and free pour drinks in every province, with the exception of Ontario.

Toronto is not Canada. The liquor laws are different in each Province. I have had free drinks, and free pour drinks in every province, with the exception of Ontario.

First post, had to chime in here.

Comps and free pours are known to occur in Ontario, but are as rare as sightings of Tony Bourdain driving his SUV into a McDonald's drive thru :smile:. I've seen it happen (the comps, not the Bourdain sighting) but I have not been lucky enough to receive a comp at any Ontario bar since I moved here.

It always helps to know the bartender - back in my hometown (I'm originally from Newfoundland), a bartender friend of mine would occasionally sneak me a double scotch for a single. But it was easier for her to sneak that one by her manager. The majority of her customers who sniffed around for comps were after regular well drinks or beer. I was probably the only person to order a scotch all month so it barely impatcted her bar costs. I ALWAYS tipped her well for doing this too. Of course this proves that politics and personal relationships do play a part in who gets extra and who gets none.

I'm with the majority here. The comment shouldn't be taken as an insult of their abilities, though you should have specifically asked for a double if that's what you were truly after. Still a good bartender shouldn't act like an ass, or else s/he will lose well-tipping clientele in the process.

Me, I'd order a pint of Smithwicks and take the guesswork out of it :raz:

NOTE: edited for clarity

Edited by Thumper (log)