• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Live vicariously!

NeroW

As suggested by fresco on a separate thread, I might as well do a drinkblog.

This suggestion is particularly timely, as tonight I will be attending Bell's Brewing Co.'s annual "Eccentric Ale" bash, held at the brewery in Kalamazoo, MI.

This is an event wherein many Kalamazoo-ians consume mass quantities of the highly alcoholic (and noxious) Eccentric Ale. Many also vomit in the streets.

I do not vomit!

I promise to keep faithful track of everything that I drink from today (Friday) until the end of my weekend, which is Tuesday. I will not have access to a computer every day, but I will post as often as I can.

This is going to be fun and educational!

So far, Friday, December 12: I have not had anything to drink which contains alcohol. Of course, I am still at school here in Chicago. But in an hour, I will board an Amtrak train bound for Michigan, and no train ride is complete without a visit to the Club Car.

Cheers.

Noise is music. All else is food.

As suggested by fresco on a separate thread, I might as well do a drinkblog.

This suggestion is particularly timely, as tonight I will be attending Bell's Brewing Co.'s annual "Eccentric Ale" bash, held at the brewery in Kalamazoo, MI.

This is an event wherein many Kalamazoo-ians consume mass quantities of the highly alcoholic (and noxious) Eccentric Ale. Many also vomit in the streets.

I do not vomit!

I promise to keep faithful track of everything that I drink from today (Friday) until the end of my weekend, which is Tuesday. I will not have access to a computer every day, but I will post as often as I can.

This is going to be fun and educational!

So far, Friday, December 12: I have not had anything to drink which contains alcohol. Of course, I am still at school here in Chicago. But in an hour, I will board an Amtrak train bound for Michigan, and no train ride is complete without a visit to the Club Car.

Cheers.

You

Lucky

Bastard.

Do provide every luscious detail.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Great idea, fresco. And who better (and more amusing) to handle this challenge than our own NeroW, Belle of the Heartland? (Yes, Rich, Nero's a babe, not a dude!)

I haven't tried Eccentric. What makes it noxious?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Sorry not to post for so long. But I promise that you will all be truly disgusted!

Friday, December 12:

Decided against having a beer on the train. Used the time to study for finals instead. See! I can be responsible! Arrived in Kalamazoo at about 5:30 PM. Boyfriend picked me up at the station. When we got back to his house, he'd spelled my name in Christmas lights on his front window :wub: . I decided to take a shower and wake up a little bit. While I was in the shower, I heard a noise--one of those "someone-is-trying-to-be-quiet-but-isn't-doing-a-good-job" noises. I looked around the curtain, and there was a can of cold PABST BLUE RIBBON on the sink!

So: one PBR. Then another PBR. Then a Molson. Did you know that Molson has 5% alcohol in one can?

Bell's was typical. People were vomiting, wearing antlers and codpieces, and it was so crowded you had to walk with your elbows pressed to your sides. Had one Eccentric Ale. Then 2 Amber Ale's. That Eccentric party is really something else. Next year, you should all come.

Then we went home, and I had one more PBR.

Saturday, December 13:

I had 2 "Cape Codda's" (with Stoli) while watching DVD's and doing laundry at my mom's house. Then I had another Molson. Then my boyfriend and I went to his friend's house, thinking we would have a quiet night instead of a rowdy one.

Wrong! They were all doing shots of (get ready for this) Jagermeister and Grey Goose, which is disgusting, even in my eyes, especially since they were drinking it warm. I had one shot of Grey Goose, after I ensured that it was well-chilled. Then I drank about half a bottle of Chenin Blanc--it was pretty tasty, unfortunately, I can't remember what kind it was.

Then someone went and bought 2 cases of Budweiser, so I had about 3 or 4 of those. OK, maybe more like 5. :wacko:

Sunday, December 14:

Not feeling so well! I had a Stoil Bloody Mary with a bacon cheeseburger (rare) and fries. Then I drank an entire carton of orange juice.

Monday, December 15:

Had another Molson.

Tuesday, December 16:

Not drinking today. Have to go to laundromat.

Not drinking today. Have to go to laundromat.

oh man. that's when i would get my best drinking done. my roommate and i would make an afternoon out of it: drop off the laundry. go to the pub next door to shoot pool and have some beers. forget the laundry. go back to find it on the table, wet. dry it. more beers and pool. bring the whole lot to another bar in a huge duffle bag. drink and eat. walk home, forgetting the laundry at the bar.

Not drinking today.  Have to go to laundromat.

oh man. that's when i would get my best drinking done. my roommate and i would make an afternoon out of it: drop off the laundry. go to the pub next door to shoot pool and have some beers. forget the laundry. go back to find it on the table, wet. dry it. more beers and pool. bring the whole lot to another bar in a huge duffle bag. drink and eat. walk home, forgetting the laundry at the bar.

Hey, that's a good idea!

Not drinking today.  Have to go to laundromat.

Hey, that's a good idea!

as you might imagine, we chose the laundromat because of its proximity to the bar.

There's one here in San Francisco called BrainWash.

Brainwash, what a great name.

I'm glad to report vicarious hangovers are much easier to tolerate than the real variety. :biggrin: Thanks for the report Nero.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

So: one PBR. Then another PBR. Then a Molson. Did you know that Molson has 5% alcohol in one can?

Bell's was typical. People were vomiting, wearing antlers and codpieces, and it was so crowded you had to walk with your elbows pressed to your sides. Had one Eccentric Ale. Then 2 Amber Ale's. That Eccentric party is really something else. Next year, you should all come.

I'm trying to figure out how a person could drink that good Bell's beer and follow it up with PBR.

Student budget. Somehow it has come up before on the Gull. :cool:

:wacko: Warm Jäger.

YUK.

Nero's guy was a saint with the Xmas light configuration and PBR for after the shower stuff, but that boy and his buddies grew hair on their chests for that feat.

Warm Jäger.

YUK.

Amen, Sista'!

I once (and ONLY once, I assure you) had a shot called an Iron Curtain. It had something from all of the former Iron Curtain countries in it. Stolychnaya, Jagermeister and Rumplemintz. GAH! Can I tell you quickly that shit hit the instant eject button? My friend who was with me still rib me about it. The mere mention of it makes me a bit nauseated.

Nero's guy was a saint with the Xmas light configuration and PBR for after the shower stuff, but that boy and his buddies grew hair on their chests for that feat.

The BF is a sweetie and I'll bet the crew grew hair on their PALMS for drinking that nastiness warm :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I once (and ONLY once, I assure you) had a shot called an Iron Curtain. It had something from all of the former Iron Curtain countries in it. Stolychnaya, Jagermeister and Rumplemintz. GAH! Can I tell you quickly that shit hit the instant eject button? My friend who was with me still rib me about it. The mere mention of it makes me a bit nauseated.

I once was invited to a bartender party, when I was a lowly newbie summer server for the same restaurant. I was told I needed to do a shot called a Screaming Nazi (Jäger and Rumple) WARM without making a face, elsewise I'd be hazed into doing another.

I smiled, drank what was given and was in the clique ever since. The party was a blast and those were the wonderful folks that mentored and plugged me to management for my stepping behind the mahogany and tending instead of waiting tables. :wub:

Yuk, but that little concoction got my foot in the door, so to speak! :cool:

Thinking about that shot, I'd probably welcome the Stoli to lighten up the minty herbal mix it presents.... :yuk green smilie:

I'm sure I've seen bar-laundromat combos, somewhere.

Hey Nero, there's one in Chicago too. Newport Bar and Grill which is connected to a laundromat. It's on Southport & Newport.

My sister and I used to go to that one! Launder Bar? Was that what it was callled? It had a light board with the numbers for the dryers on it, and if your number was lit, your dryer was done. Very cool! :biggrin:

I'm sure I've seen bar-laundromat combos, somewhere.

Hey Nero, there's one in Chicago too. Newport Bar and Grill which is connected to a laundromat. It's on Southport & Newport.

My sister and I used to go to that one! Launder Bar? Was that what it was callled? It had a light board with the numbers for the dryers on it, and if your number was lit, your dryer was done. Very cool! :biggrin:

I roll my laundry to a coin laundromat on Fullerton. I take it there in a little red Radio Flyer wagon.

There's no bar. :angry:

So: one PBR.  Then another PBR.  Then a Molson.  Did you know that Molson has 5% alcohol in one can?

Bell's was typical.  People were vomiting, wearing antlers and codpieces, and it was so crowded you had to walk with your elbows pressed to your sides.  Had one Eccentric Ale.  Then 2 Amber Ale's.  That Eccentric party is really something else.  Next year, you should all come.

I'm trying to figure out how a person could drink that good Bell's beer and follow it up with PBR.

not only student budget, but after enough good beers down the hatch,

some people probably wouldn't care/notice the taste difference in the last few,

so why not save money?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.