• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Eats for a Cool Grandmother

Liz Johnson

My grandmother, who, at 81, is very cool and hip, has everything anyone could ever want, so I've taken to giving her gift certificates for restaurants for Christmas. She usually takes her sister, and so far, they've been to the Mansion, Abacus and Lola.

I think Abacus was a little loud for them, though they liked the food a lot. They quite enjoyed Lola. The Mansion was so-so. I'm not quite as flush as last year, so I'd like to spend about $100 this time instead of the $150 or $200 I gave her the other times. (They don't drink much so this should be plenty.)

Where should I send her?

PS -- Wow, this and the tamales -- thanks to eGullet for helping plan my holiday season!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

She lives in North Dallas. How far is that? Would it be a good afternoon trip for them? They could go to the museum and have lunch or an early dinner?

Two different grandmothers! The one in Victoria, while lovely, isn't exactly a hipster.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Will they be driving themselves? I ask because that traffic can be scary, and I don't want nobody hurt. Somebody more current on the state of Interstate repair(or lack thereof) can tell you. But them being from there they know their ways around for sure. It could be anywhere from around 30-some to forty-some miles.

She lives in North Dallas. How far is that? Would it be a good afternoon trip for them? They could go to the museum and have lunch or an early dinner?

Two different grandmothers! The one in Victoria, while lovely, isn't exactly a hipster.

As a cool and hipster (well, hippy anyway) grandmother myself, I vote for the day in Ft. Worth. I live in Austin, which is certainly farther from the museum/cafe than North Dallas, and I'd love to drive up there, spend the afternoon looking at the exhibits and having lunch.

If your granny drives the freeways at all, she can get there I'm sure. Or she perhaps might have a younger granny friend that can drive.

I vote for that.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

After looking closely at the Dallas Restaurant Scene thread (I had read it before, but only skimmed), I am now considering Paris Vendome. She does love burgers.

It looks more casual than the places I've sent her to before, but that's OK with me.

What do you experts think?

Richard — I think York Street might be too adventerous for her. She is flexible, but also likes what she knows.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend Paris Vendome. For moderately hip, moderately priced options, I would suggest: Ziziki's (Greek/Med), Ciudad (trendy Mexican), Adelmo's or Mi Piaci (Italian), Al Biernat's (steak/seafood), Cafe Pacific (seafood), the Green Room (eclectic New American), et al. There are plenty of good, mid-priced options that ought to fit the bill.

Scott

Also not a fan of Paris Vendome.

Dakota's just reopened after a year's renovation and menu overhaul. I haven't been there yet since the open but the DMN just raved about it.

Also, consider Jasper's (in Plano). From the team that brought you Abacus.

Raynickben,

Have you had good experiences at Jasper's? I haven't been back since Staudemeier moved up there from Abacus's kitchen. But, before that, my experience was rather lackluster. The service was good; but I was getting B-grade food from the kitchen. That was shortly after they opened, though. It's possible they've worked out some of the kinks since then.

Scott

Raynickben,

Have you had good experiences at Jasper's? I haven't been back since Staudemeier moved up there from Abacus's kitchen. But, before that, my experience was rather lackluster. The service was good; but I was getting B-grade food from the kitchen. That was shortly after they opened, though. It's possible they've worked out some of the kinks since then.

Scott

I actually haven't been to Jasper's yet having just moved back to Plano last month. I tried to get in a couple of times but due to the holiday's they are booked with a lot of company functions, etc. That whole Shops of Legacy is really busy this month...and so beautifully decorated.

I just love Abacus so much that I have high hopes for Jasper's.

I'll let you know when I can experience it (hopefully in Jan.)