• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glad Press 'n Seal

denise_jer

Maybe you were using the wrong side? I just went and tried it on my clear plastic measuring cup with a spout and it worked but when I flipped the wrap over and tried the other side it didn't stick.

I too am a fan of this stuff.

We bought a roll to try it out. I don't get it. Yes, it sticks to bowls and seals them tight (though I have also found it does not work on plastic). Isn't that what regular Saran/Glad Wrap is supposed to do? "Here, pay more for this product that actually does what we've been telling you our original product does!" By the way, we bought some Stretch-Tite plastic wrap at Costco, as recommended on egullet, and it works quite well.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

*whips out every plastic bowl in the house* Hold on two minutes...

You guys are making me waste a lot of Press n Seal. But it's for a good cause, right? :unsure:

My press nseal works on every single kind of plastic bowl I have. Thick rim, thin rim, ziploc blue bowls, clear deli plastic bowls, white plastic...I even filled the bowls with water before covering and tried the flip test. It worked.

What kind of plastic bowls do you all have? :blink:

However, regular saran wrap does not stick to plastic, usually, especially the ziploc bowls because of the texture of the bowl, I guess. But press n seal does. :raz:

i don't get it.  guess i'm too young.

It keeps the hot stuff hot and the cold stuff cold.

i know what a thermos is and what it does.

speaking of which, i wonder where my old blue one is. hmm.

i don't understand the part about a thermos knowing.

Three guys are discussing the greatest invention ever. The first says the televison because you can see events happening around the world as they occur. The second says the telephone because you can actually speak to the participants in said events. The third says the thermos because it keeps hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold.

The other two look at him and ask "what's go great about that?"

To which the third replies "How do it know?"

On the other hand, I use it for everything, as long as it is not touching the food directly.

Why shouldn't it touch the food directly?

Just my own paranoia. I didn't like the thought of whatever they were using to make this stuff work so well touching my food. Not much of an issue though, since I mainly use the stuff to seal containers, jars, etc.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

For any smug scientific bastards out there who have used the Press 'n Seal, how does this stuff differ from the laboratory gold standard of sealant films, Parafilm, which has been around for ages?

As an amateur magician in college, I can say that with parafilm, I can make a quarter disappear, but press n seal won't make a crappy casserole disappear.

btw, I think press n seal works pretty well. I tried it out at Thanksgiving press-n-sealing the hell out of turkey, pie, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and so on. I do think I prefer normal plastic wrap for some things like cheese -- items where I want to wrap something tightly, multiple times, see what's being wrapped really well, and re-wrap it. But it's much better for most lidding options. I often have normal Saran wrap that won't cling to bowls. I'm not sure why it original Saran wrap clings to some and not others. If I didn't hate using the stuff so much I'd go test it. But one of my truly dreaded duties in the kitchen is sealing things with Saran wrap. Stupid static always has it trying to cling to something, usually itself. It's like putting tape on a cat's tail and watching it try to get it off, the tape sticking to one body part after another.

• 1 month later...

In the Feb. 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, they did a brief evaluation of Glad Press 'n Seal on twelve bowls each of plastic, glass, styrofoam, china, and stainless. All of the glass, stainless, and china bowls leaked liquid when tipped over. It worked best on styrofoam and plastic. I assume they were using it correctly.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

But one of my truly dreaded duties in the kitchen is sealing things with Saran wrap. Stupid static always has it trying to cling to something, usually itself. It's like putting tape on a cat's tail and watching it try to get it off, the tape sticking to one body part after another.

I think I posted this suggestion in the "This really works" thread regarding how to stop Saran Wrap from sticking to itself when you go to try and use it to wrap something.

The "trick" is to NOT immediately tear off the piece of wrap. Instead, pull the Saran Wrap out, as much as you think you will need. Then lay this on the counter top (still attached to the roll). Place the object to be wrapped on top of the pulled out piece of wrap. THEN tear off the wrap. It's the pulling-out-the-wrap-then-tearing-it-off that leads to the self-clinging, floating in mid-air dance that always seems to happen.

This method may take a little getting used to, but it does seem to lead to a lot less frustration.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

My mother-in-law was just down in Texas visiting friends and came back with a report that EVERYBODY down there was using this stuff. She even went so far as to buy a box for me. I used it for the first time the other day, when I had a mound of Vermont Butter & Cheese Co. butter out on a little plate for brunch and had to put it away in the refrigerator. This was a stoneware plate with a rough texture. The Glad Press'n Seal (and by the way I would like to know what two words "Press'n" is a contraction of) pressed and sealed very, very well, so much so that it scared me a little.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

• 2 years later...

An issue has arisen with Press'n Seal. Somebody please confirm that you're seeing this too.

It used to be that Press'n Seal had writing on it. I can't remember what it said. Maybe it said "Press'n Seal." It was in a repeating pattern on the wrap. You knew which side was the sticky side because if you could read the words you were holding the sticky side down and if the words were backwards you had to turn the wrap over to get the sticky side down.

A box of Press'n Seal purchased Sunday, however, had writing-free wrap. This means more detective work is required to identify the sticky side. I'm not at all happy with this turn of events. Not at all.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

An issue has arisen with Press'n Seal. Somebody please confirm that you're seeing this too.

It used to be that Press'n Seal had writing on it. I can't remember what it said. Maybe it said "Press'n Seal." It was in a repeating pattern on the wrap. You knew which side was the sticky side because if you could read the words you were holding the sticky side down and if the words were backwards you had to turn the wrap over to get the sticky side down.

A box of Press'n Seal purchased Sunday, however, had writing-free wrap. This means more detective work is required to identify the sticky side. I'm not at all happy with this turn of events. Not at all.

I have an old box. The wrap does have a white writing on it

(1) "GLAD" as well as "Press'n Seal" appear

(2) sketch-type cartoon images of ways to use it

jayne