• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Labels

LindaJ

I have wrestled with this for a few years now. Partly out of jogging my terrible memory and partly out of a scrapbook fetish, I have laboriously taken off wine labels. This mostly involves soaking the bottle, carefully removing the label with a craft knife, pasting it on acid-free paper, and placing it in an acid-free sheet protector. There is often an intermediary step of flattening the label which includes the use of several college era economics textbooks (which is their only use since the info is out of date).

Since it takes longer to do this than to drink the damn bottle, I'm looking for a better way. What do people do?

I recently saw something called "label off" or similar that rips the puppy right off the bottle.

I need ideas. Any other suggestions or discussions about organizing a cellar book manually or from software would be super cool as well.

Steam the label off by holding the bottle in front of the spout of a tea kettle full of boiling water. Takes a few minutes, but it couldn't be easier.

This is the method I use. The only issue I found is I have to press them between two large books after the start to dry, otherwise they can tend to bubble and curl. But it is very fast.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

My sister-in-law has been taking wine labels off of bottles for the past year and then lacquers them onto plates. She gives away a dozen wine label plates as Christmas gifts. Pretty cool idea, although I don't see many Petrus or Tua Rita "Redigaffi" labels on the plates.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites