• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasso

fifi

Help out a neighbor here. I am on the hunt for some really good tasso. I can't tell from the various web sites how the offerings are prepared. I do know that tasso has a very distinctive taste. I have bought it in Houston and haven't found it yet. My son found me some a few years ago at a Cajun market somewhere in town and I have found it at a place called Abe's Cajun Market here in Clear Lake (I think they are out of Lake Charles) and both examples tasted like not-so-good-ham... not tasso.

What I am thinking of is the tasso that nothing else tastes like. I have had it in tasso cream sauces on pasta and in omelets when in New Orleans.

I would even toy with the idea of making my own with a good recipe. I have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker so that is a possibility. But a mail order option has a lot of appeal.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

All of thse people will be able to help you in your quest for Tasso, a fine ingredient (great on pizza, incidentally). I reccomend that you contact Richard's and see who their wholesaler is in the Houston area. You can then contact them to find out about individual stores that sell their products. When you find a store, make sure that you buy a pound of thier Hickory Smoked Bacon. You will not be sorry. It is the best American bacon that I have ever had (other than home smoked).

Richard's Pork Paradise

Poche's Pig Pickins

Hebert's Hog Heaven

Links to Links (of sausage)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Memesuze, I will definitely do that. I will start a thread in Texas on sources for our neighbors' goodies. It may be a while, though, since a lot of my time is taken up until after the holidays. If anyone finds stuff before I do, I hope they post it. The tasso situation has been particularly distressing. How the two places I tried can call that stuff tasso is beyond me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Houston area has some places, but you may have to venture out a bit to Port Arthur or Beaumont for real good stuff.

Veron's Meat Market in Humble 281-812-4181 Retail locations (including Houston)

Burt's Meat MKT & Cajun Foods 5910 Lyons Avenue, Houston (713) 674-0064

If you want to order online, there are the options listed by Mayhaw Man above...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I will start a thread in Texas on sources for our neighbors' goodies.

Well, since I know that you are dying for sources of good food over there, perhaps you should try these links to deliciousness:

Chili Essentials

Gumbo Essentials

Let me know if you need any more help. :raz:

Guess what... Kroger's has Camellia red beans. BTW... to the uninitiated... any other red kidney bean just doesn't hack it. Only Camellias cook up to that wonderful creaminess.

As to the gumbo essentials... my sister, the traitor, is planning her garden and okra is in the offing. I am contemplating a midnight raid with 2-4-D. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Poche's Tasso is the real deal:

http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/tasso.htm

We bought a good quantity of this when we visited the store a few weeks ago.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So... What have you done with your tasso so far? Have you made any tasso cream sauce? I remember seeing Paul Pruhomme doing this on Larry King several years ago. That stuff is lethal.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Can someone explain the okra joke to me please?

Okra is no joke. It is a serious matter and should be treated that way. :wacko:

Actually, Fifi, for some odd reason(as she seems to have otherwise impeccable taste) doesn't like okra. I do. I am trying to convince her that perhaps she should reconsider this delicious pod.

If someone plopped frozed okra in front of me, I would protest loudly.

If someone plopped frozed ( :wink: ) okra in front of me I would chop up some onions and tomatoes while it was thawing out. Sautee the onions, garlic, and okra in bacon grease, add the tomatoes and a little stock, and simmer on low heat for about thirty minutes.

I would then eat okra and tomatoes. :wink:

hee-hee, depending on how much stock you are using, you are eating okra gumbo.

:raz:

Naw, only fresh okra for me. The frozen bags are way to tough and get twiggy.

Besides, it's very theraputic for me, the smell reminds me of my maw-maw, bless her heart.

So... What have you done with your tasso so far?

It's funny, besides sauces the Poche's Market site recommends:

Terrific as a pizza topping

I haven't gotten a chance to try that, but at least a portion of the Tasso I got hauled back to me from NOLA went into some Tacos. Just little thin shavings of it among a majority of other ingredients was enough to do the job.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"